Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmjmommy

sunroom/four seasons room?

jmjmommy
15 years ago

Hello! For those of you with (or planning to have) a sunroom or four seasons room -- where is it and what do you use it for? We discussed having it off of the kitchen and actually putting our kitchen table in there. I would love to see pictures!

Thanks,

Kelly

Comments (18)

• sturdy
    15 years ago

We are putting ours off the family room. We will install an exterior french door between the rooms so that they can be sealed off from each other when we want to open up the sunroom to create more of a screened-in porch. We will use it as a gathering spot and as a relaxing spot. We do not anticipate putting a TV in this room. I would call it a breakfast nook if you plan on using it in the manner you describe. I do have a picture of someone who has done this. If I can figure how to post it, I will.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

We're doing a sunroom with french doors that open onto the deck. I love 4 seasons rooms, but we don't really have 4 seasons here...it's either summer or winter. LOL Our sunroom is directly behind the den and will be used as a reading nook and computer area. There is a cased opening on the left that goes to the breakfast room (which opens to a screened porch) and another cased opening on the right that leads to the children's bedrooms & baths.

Here's another view of it looking from the den. The interior wall between the two rooms still needs the glass set place and the drywall finished. That's next week's project. I'm just happy to have the hardwoods down. :o)

• sturdy
    15 years ago

I think I have figured it out. Here is the picture:

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    15 years ago

sturdy, Wowww!! What size is that gorgeous room--- or nook?

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

That is beautiful!!!

• sturdy
    15 years ago

emmachas - it's not mine. I agree it is beautiful. We are building the same house this picture came from but they bumped out the breakfast nook into a large eating room. We are keeping just the nook in the plans but adding a sunroom off the family room.

jmjmommy - here is another angle showing how it comes off the kitchen.

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    15 years ago

I want the nook AND the snow! I'll bet that beautiful picture is being saved on lots of computers today! Thanks so much for sharing it.

• jmjmommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANK YOU!!! That is exactly what I was looking for! WOW! My husband was the one wanting the sunroom/eating area and I was doubtful. I guess I can be wrong once every few years. ;)

• janbanks
    15 years ago

Our sunroom is down a very short hallway from the kitchen / greatroom. It was drawn in our plans as a screened in porch but we decided to make it an all-season room. Deciding how to use this room has been the greatest challenge of moving in. Do I want it to be "garden like" with plants and patio furniture? Or do I want a bookstore like atmosphere with soft seating and small tables?
    Right now, we're using it to hold furniture that has no other place in our home at the present time. When we have guests, we often end up out in the sunroom with the windows open, breeze and bird songs coming through. It's on the southside so so it's sunny in the morning and shady in the afternoon. It's the perfect little getaway. I'm glad that it's away from the central location of the kitchen and greatroom. (and the TV) It's a nice size but If I could do it again, I'd make it twice as big. Then I could put a big table for dining as well as an area for chairs and relaxing.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

My sunroom is HUGE. It is 14' wide and 47' long. It will be the main gathering place for this new house. We are building the house ourselves and the sunroom overlooks my koi ponds. Even though it is still just stud walls and OSB floor, we spend every eveining out there, watching the koi and nature. It is one my favorite parts of the whole house.

• sewwhatsnew
    15 years ago

We will have a heated four season room at our new house, aprx 15 x 15, three sides are windows and the other wall opens to the kitchen table. I'm thinking this will be used as a family room, I don't have any furniture for it yet. I do like the idea of combining dining room and family room in the area, does anyone have pictures of their sunroom furniture in a similar size?? I do have a natural RATTAN SECTIONAL I upholstered it in cutsy bright floral cotton about 10 years ago. I still like it, but the colors (yellow,teal,red.orange, purple)are not popular right now ,should I consider putting that in there anyway? If it was a porch, I'd say perfect. I'm leaning toward FAMILY furniture...comfortable stuff, maybe a leather sectional??
    I need an opinion of this ratttan sectional I'll try to get a pic posted this week. Maybe its time to sell it, BEFORE we move!!

• sewwhatsnew
    15 years ago

Here is the sectional I continue to hang on to, what would you do?? Set it up in the four season room on brazilian cherry floor, or in the garage?? OR SELL IT???? I have navy plaid covers too, but I don't care for that at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1493444}}

• downsouth
    15 years ago

I think it would work well in a basement room, but I wouldn't want it in a sun room. For me, it's too big and the fabric isn't my style.

If you can't use it in your basement, I would sell it. Enjoy a shopping spree for some new furniture for your new room.

I've been looking at sunroom designs for well over an hour on the net. I don't like any of the prefab sunrooms. I want it to look like a room "addition" and have a regular roof line, 3 sides all windows that can be opened, heated and air conditioned.

• carterinms
    15 years ago

Our "sunroom" is 11' wide by 27'. One end of the sunroom will be used as a sitting area (I dream of the morning I can take my cup of coffee into the sunroom and sit and watch the critters in the bayou). The other end, which is open to the kitchen, will be where our dining table is. And if we ever need to sit 20 people, we will be able to temporarily rearrange the sitting area and there will be room to extend the dining table.

Because we are 15' in the air, we couldn't have floor to ceiling windows. Our sunroom has two windows that are 7'x7' along the long wall, single hung windows on the short ends, and a french door going out to the porch.

• kami_luvsjamj
    15 years ago

Wow! those are some great photos! When we built, we just added a screen room off of our kitchen. Our old home had one, which was much larger, and we LOVED it. We used it all the time and we just could not do with out it. We have a TV out there and spend time out there playing board games and just hanging out, especially in the evenings or in the mornings.

• sunnny
    15 years ago

I'm wondering what floor plan this glorious sun room comes from?? We are planning on building in Texas next year and I'd LOVE a room like this since I'm a "can't have too much sun" kind of girl.
    Thanks,
    Sunny

• Johnsteve44
    10 years ago

I love all the ideas about four season sunroom windows. I am planning to renovate my sunroom. Please suggest some ideas about the flooring of my sunroom. roofing company Baltimore

Here is a link that might be useful: roofing contractor Maryland

• Renee0829
    10 years ago

We will be having a sunroom/four season room off our kitchen that will have room for plants and a 10x10 6 person hot tub. We will have a single door off the kitchen and are trying to figure out what kind of doors to put outside to be able to get the hot tub in. Our Architect said we could do french doors and take the panel out to get the hot tub in but I don't think it will be wide enough. Any suggestions?