Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petchia

what style of home is this?

petchia
15 years ago

I'm hoping someone here can help me determine the style of home in the following pictures. Is it English? Costwold? Tudor?

Best,

Bill

Comments (9)

• heimert
    15 years ago

Looks like a mix of elements from federal, colonial, and spanish colonial

• petchia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess I was way off. I was thinking the sloping roof line from left to right on the front of the house above the entry was an English element. But that's why I asked. Thanks for the info.

• dallasbill
    15 years ago

That's a Tudor where I come from. Roof line, side and facing gables and massive chimney to ground in front.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Put a holler out to Mightyanvil-he'll know

• heimert
    15 years ago

Yes, there are tudor element as well--roof and chimney. But no half timber, so it's not really tudor revival.

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

There is nothing Spanish Colonial in this style.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

If it were a dish at my favorite restaurant, they'd call it 'Fusion': Sometimes I think it's pointless to worry over the verbal vocabulary of visual arts-- I know a few too many young artists who would rather babble about the different philosphies they employ in their work than actually shut up and paint...

For a lot of people, the arched entry says 'southwestern' in a way it probably wouldn't if the brick and stone weren't white.

Regardless of the verbage, its a great looking house. Substantial, interesting details, not at all pretentious or clamouring for attention.

• petchia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's a very cool house. It's being renovated. Beautiful inside and out. The house was originally a red brick and they painted everything white (except granite stone).

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

I agree with Dallasbill; red brick Tudor houses became very popular in US in the 20's and 30's when brick veneer walls became possible. About half of them had no half timber or stucco but they sometimes had horizontal board siding (often rustic) on the highest part of the walls at the attic level.

By painting the brick white the house looks considerably more French but the prominent cross gable is English.