Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polarprincess

What to do when it's not turning out like you pictured?

polarprincess
13 years ago

we started from scratch- a 12 x 14 master bath that i could design any way i wanted and i chose to do a suite sort of bathroom. there is a vanity room, a tub and shower room and a toilet room. only the toilet room has a door on it. i chose very dark cabinets and a quartz countertop. we have a very nice whirlpool tub with a beautiful tile surround.. the only thing i do love about the bathroom so far. we first painted the room a sandy brown color and detested it, and re-painted it this beachy brown color called timberdust and i just dont like it either and neither one of us can figure out how we would paint it again now that the tile is done, as it has too many hard to reach places. The paint has a pink undertone or something and i also dont like the floor. the floor guy had a deadline so i didnt get much chance to pick it out and was rushed into it, and now i am stuck with it. i also dont like the lighting. it casts a cold feel instead of a warm feel i am going for. i should have planned for more natural light but didn't. have changed the lighting twice and still cant get it right... no matter what i do, it just is not what i was going for..i am just sick because it should not be like this..this should have been my dream bathroom.

We dont have the white trim nor pictures up yet, but i just dont see them making enough difference that it will change my mind. Has anyone else been in the same boat and figured something out? Any suggestions to "warm" it up? I was going for this beachy cottage spa like look and it looks more like a modern something...dont know what to call it.

Comments (9)

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

I'm having a day like this today, so I can definitely understand how you're feeling. Can you post some pictures so we can see? Maybe someone will have some suggestions or ideas on it.

• mic111
    13 years ago

I think we've all been there. Pics would help folks make specific suggestions.

Almost nothing looks right without the accessories so you may not need to repaint. However, sometimes changing the paint color can pull it all together.

In terms of the tile floor I bet you find a nice area rug that really makes the space perfect.

Did you check the types of light bulbs used? I hate the 'cool white' ones. I think they make things look cold. My husband loves them but I insist on 'soft white' for the house. But others have told me they also love them so I guess it depends on how your eye processes them.

• polarprincess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do have pics but was too tired tonight to try and figure out how to post them, I will try and do it tomorrow. As far as the lighting, in the vanity lights which are the only lights in that room, they are clear glass, I got the highest wattage it would allow and it is still not light enough. In the tub room the light will only take a 60 watt and yes that one is a warm light bulb, but it just isn't bright enough for me. I have been looking for something else but so far no luck. 2 other things I really don't like is that the electrician put the plug ins to the left of the sinks and I am right handed, and he also wired for a tv high up on the wall which is the first wall you see when you go in there..
    When I was in the store the quartz looked incredible, I loved it, but in my bathroom, that too just looks cold.

• jacobse
    13 years ago

I was also going to chime in on the lighting. Tell us what types of fixtures and bulbs you have. And pictures of the room could help.

Are any of the lights compact fluorescent bulbs? I've found most of them to be whiter or bluer than the warmer, yellow "soft white" light. In our kitchen, where we have a number of recessed lights, I've tried replacing some flood bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs to try to be more environmentally sound -- but I just don't like 'em. Some people prefer a whiter light for bathroom makeup, as it's truer to outdoor light, but like mic111, I generally like warmer light. Depending on the types of fixtures you have, there may be other ways to warm the feel of the light by changing the fixture, the bulbs, the glass, even adding a colored gel. If it's just too bright, are the lights on dimmers to allow you to drop the lighting level a bit? One way or another, fixing the tone of the lighting is definitely do-able.

-- Eric

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

It's pretty easy to post pics using a service like Tinypic. You just need to upload your pictures to Tinypic. If you use the resize option pick "message board" size. Then after they are uploaded you will have the option of several codes to copy. Use the HTML for websites. Copy it and paste it right here into your post.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Brown walls in bathrooms are tough. It sounds like you don't care for pink...how do you feel about peach? My mom repainted her bathroom, after the turquoise color she loved, looked too cold. Pink and peach are much more flattering, especially when you're putting on make-up. Turquoise is not...I'm guessing the brown isn't very good, either.

She chose a nice, soft coral/peach color and she loves it. She only has one small, frosted window, but the color has really brightened things up.

I'd start with the new paint. The dark wood will absorb some light, so even with the new paint color, you might need to install some more lighting. Start with the paint color and see how that works.

As to the floor, get a few nice big rugs...either white of peach, and use them on the floor. It will warm things up and cover up a little of the tile.

If you're trying to achieve a beach, cottage spa...try adding some small wicker baskets for storage, candles, and maybe a few, small, low-light plants. That will make a big difference, too. Peach and green accents will definitely warm up your quartz and dark brown...making them the elegant background you had originally envisioned...but bringing in the cottage side.

Hope this helps...and remember, put a thick towel in the tub and stand on a stool, if it helps you reach the areas you need to paint. I actually got a big ladder into mom's little bathroom, when I painted it :)

• shadowne
    13 years ago

The light bulbs can certainly make the world of difference. When I recently remodeled my hall bath I was disgusted with
    the results until I changed my bulbs. I used a sage paint on the walls which looked awful with the cool bulbs in vanity light. When I switched them out with Sylvania Reveal bulbs and it softened and complemented the earth tones.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

I agree with the light bulbs -- keep looking. Some CFLs are warmer, some are medium, and some are cold-light-of-arctic-circle, so don't think that if you've tried one or two, you've tried them all. You can also get up to the equivalent of 150 watts with less than 60 watts of draw, as long as the bulb can fit in the fixture and you don't use a dimmer. (there are dimmable fluorescents but they're *rather* expensive).

Another idea: is there a way to keep maybe the hardest-to-paint wall the original color, but then repaint other walls that are easier to paint? The original color wouldn't be so oppressive if you put up something to contextualize it, as it were.

pics would definitely help.

• sayde
    13 years ago

Before painting the walls, test some paint colors on 12 x 12 inch (or larger) poster boards. Test at various times of day, under different lighting sources. You really cannot see the undertones on a tiny chip -- you need to use a bigger swatch. And don't be surprised that it might take many trials to find the right color. That's to expected. You really cannot shortcut the process.