Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

toddler or child sized toilet

igloochic
14 years ago

I'm going to change out the regular toilet in my son's bathroom for a smaller one geared for toddlers. I have seen several but can't find any reviews. Has anyone done this and if so, is there a particular brand you like? And just curious...how many years do you get out of it? (When do they grow out of it?) My son is 4 but he's very very small so I know it will last longer for us.

I'm also considering doing the sink as well...ditto on the above question...I"m looking for a good source at a reasonable price (not a toto LOL)

And before the naysayers get started...I have twelve bathrooms (we bought a former B&B) , this isn't going to impact home value.

Comments (14)

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

No advice except I know that many daycares in the area have small toilets and sinks and have been using them for years and years so why not? If I were in your situation I would do it, regardless!

• hudsonleigh
    14 years ago

Good thing you added that last line....I was about to be a naysayer. Anyway, having 3 kids myself, I can say that it really doesn't last that long. My girls were all on the small side, and they were quite comfortable on the "big-girl potty" by around five. By the time they're 6 or so those little toilets almost seem too little. So I don't think you have too much longer, and a portable one or a smaller seat might just do the trick without incurring cost or plumbing work.

That being said, agree with what cooperbailey said -- ask around at the local daycare centers & pre-schools. There must be some kind major supplier for little johns....teeny loos....petit potties.....ok, I'm just having fun now! =D

• shelly_k
    14 years ago

I would think most kids would be able to use the small toilets for many years, maybe to 7 or 8, especially if they are on the small side. It won't matter if its a little short, they can still use it.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL HUdson, I've been on GW too long so I expect to see "you'll ruin your home value just to cater to your child...blah blah blah" since I've seen it so many times before heh heh

He has his own bathroom (all the bedrooms do) so I thought it was a unique opportunity to make potty training easier (for the night time visits anyhoo). He's a bit of an odd duck and has some odd fears, bathrooms being one (I think it's because they typically feel some what clinical and he's been in the hospital too many times to not be suspicious of anything clinical). At this point he won't make it through training if he has to perch...he's scared to death (trembles and screams) so I have to make things more friendly while he gets into the rythm of this stuff :)

We have to have a plumber out to do some modifications to the house so to add this expense isn't much on top. My understanding is that you can get the same roughin size with these things (but I am hoping to hear from someone who's done one to be sure).

Then when he gets it I'm going to give him the antique toilet in our master bath....it takes the arm of a circus strong man to flush the thing, and you have to hold the push button in twenty seconds to make sure it flushes all the way! LOL Ok maybe not in a child's room heh heh Anyone want a really cool looking toilet you get a work out flushing? :oP

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Igloochic - how about some deja vu?

Here is a link that might be useful: kid sized toilet

• User
    14 years ago

Is this the same child? It would seem so by his age.
    Life can change us all.
    I would think that if you can find a brand that has well made adult toilets they'd also make well made child sized toilets. Just make sure it's glazed all the way down. Yep, believe it or not, they are not all glazed all the way down.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Same child, but we only had two bathrooms back when that thread was being posted (and I was for the idea if I had the bathrooms). To be completely honest, we didn't see a need to potty train at that time because we weren't sure he'd see 3 unfortunately. That changed, as did the number of free bathrooms I have available :) So, here I am.

I didn't even think about them not being glazed all the way down...sheesh thanks for that tip!!! Sometimes cheap really is too cheap. Or at least really cheaply made :(

• User
    14 years ago

Oh Igloochic, I had no idea your little guy was that sick. I guess I should have realized that being you said he'd been in the hospital so many times. I was too as a baby and toodler, but don't remember any adverse affects from them.
    Since you have the room I think it's a great idea. I'd love to have a tiny real potty right now with our grandson being here so often. They don't make the plastic kiddy potty trainer that look just like real potties the way they did when his Daddy was little.
    The reason I know about making sure it's glazed all the way down is that I had my heart set on a toilet/pedestal set for our half bath that had a Victorian "look". The clerk at Ho De just happened to be a plumber on his day job and told us it wasn't fully glazed and as nice as it looked he wouldn't recommend it. I can't immagine why they aren't all fully glazed.
    Give your little guy a hug for me. I hope he's doing well now.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the sweet thoughts...he's enjoying his first real christmas and having a ball. We moved to this big new house to get him into a climate that is healthier for him and we now are assured he'll live an long and terribly active life :) (Four is hard on parents LOL)

It's sometimes a real walk back in time to read old posts...back then I didn't really plan on potty training but loved the idea of the kiddie toilet...how nice it is to plan such silly little things...makes you remember what the holidays are all about...family...and if you have a small child...toilet training heh heh :)

• User
    14 years ago

Yep, potty training would be a whole lot of fun when you were afraid you'd not have the chance to do so.
    Merry Christmas! Happy potty training.

• minac
    14 years ago

igloochic, I haven't been on the forum in ages but I remember you from the kitchen forum. I also think you are one of the few people with a bathroom with wall cabinets around the vanity (something we plan to do). Anyway, no suggestion on child size toilets but if you don't have an answer in a two weeks, I can check in with my daughter's daycare (when back from break). They just went thru a remodel/build and had to purchase the pintsize seats from somewhere.

Good luck with potty training and your son. I'm happy to hear that he is doing better.

• slateberry
    14 years ago

I hope you get the fire dragon toilet :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire dragon

• igloochic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

minic yup that's my bathroom most likely (cabs built around sink). I ended up ordering a sink and toilet from the antique plumbing supply for him (no slate not the dragon...though I liked that best LOL but he has a train themed room so we're going with a train).

Minic if you do use the cabinet design, here's my feedback after a year in that house (it's in a different home than the one we're doing the child's bathroom in). I love love love the six spice drawers on the base of our stack (3 on 3). They're perfect for a bathroom, meds, small hair goodies, makeup, blah blah they're always full and we love them. I wish I'd have done more.

But on the cabs...I wish I'd have done the plug receptical inside of the cabinet door verses on the wall outside of the door. It interfears with a drawer if you have anything plugged in and with opening the door fully. Having it inside the cabinet would allow me to leave some items plugged in (like the tooth brush charger etc) without them being in the way.

• semi
    14 years ago

After four years on ADA toilets, and then a visit to my mother's house where she has Toto toilets, I realize they are really low to the ground. Have you looked at smaller regular sized toilets? Something like the Toto one piece?

I'm all for smaller sinks and toilets for our little people. Leads to independence and a great sense of self-worth.

Alas, I have horrid big ADA toilets and vanities that are impossible for my smaller children to reach up and over to wash by themselves. This will change in my new baths!

Good luck and God Bless you and your little one.

Regina