Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pharmd501

Review my floorplan please

PharmD501
11 years ago

This will be a floorplan for country living, so keep this in mind. My view is out the back of the house across my land. I would prefer separation between the master and secondary bedrooms but it's difficult to do this with a back and side view.

Any ideas to make it work better? Or anything you would change?

Comments (9)

• bjewell1
    11 years ago

It's kind of hard to see, but one thing I can think of is in the main bath. It looks like it's the toilet, then sinks, then tub or shower? I've never really liked having the sinks separate the toilet and tub area. I wouldn't want the toilet being right in front of you when you open the door.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

It has good bones, but could use some tweaking.

Your entry hall looks very narrow. Also, with the laundry door hinged the way it is now, unless you're careful about keeping that door shut, the first things guests will see on entering is your washer and dryer.

The pantry is pretty remote from the kitchen, and you don't have a guest coat closet near the front door.

I'm not a fan of closets that open off the bathroom. Can you rework that area?

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

Pharmd-We have the same 'issue' with views and are opting for a 1.5 story (2 bedrooms and bathroom up, master on the main floor) to keep the views in the main living area. If you are hoping for back views I'd swap bedrooms #2 and #3 with the kitchen/dining moving them to the back. That would also separate the bedrooms from the master and most of the time you are asleep in the bedrooms anyhow so not a waste of the view. Just my 2 cents and we are just planning ourselves so definitely not a professional. :)

Good luck!

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

I can't read the measurements to know what size that house is but here is one that takes advantage of the rear views.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Plan

• mjlb
    11 years ago

I'm sure it just wasn't drawn, but one of the secondary bedrooms does not have a window. Don't know your needs, but both of the secondary bedrooms look small -- will you have add'l bedrooms on the second floor?

I agree that the main entry hall looks very narrow, and rather long -- not very welcoming. Also the route from garage to kitchen is more circuitous than optimal. In general, I think you may want to rework the laundry room, front entry and staircase. Perhaps add a turn to your staircase to create an alcove for w/d. Ideally, you'd combine most of the front and garage entry.

That shared wall between kitchen and entry hall bothers me. Maybe you could you push the kitchen back to meet the bedroom wall, leaving space to enter the kitchen at the front of the house, where is is also more convenient to the garage. The might also cut the apparent length of the bedroom hallway.

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

I wouldn't want the plumbing of the Bath to be on the wall of the Master BR due to possible noise factor in the middle of the night.

Anne

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I was going to say the same thing Anne did :)

Also, I think you need a mudroom (we live in the country, too) and I wouldn't want the kids using the living room door, in bad weather. Also, I'd probably add a big porch to the right side of the house...maybe screened.

• PharmD501
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The mud room is part of the laundry room. We have this currently and it works for us and saves on space in the house. I've been working on rearranging things from all the suggestions. We plan to live in the house a long time so I want to make it to be what works for us, but when the time comes to sale I would like it to appeal to others as well. As long as what others like works for us that is lol.

There is a window in the other bedroom, it just didn't make it on this draft I guess. There will be another bedroom, bath, and large rec room upstairs with plenty of storage too.

We have plenty of cabinets so the pantry being close to the kitchen wasn't huge to us. We just want an area to store large things and bulk items out of the way. Also, a place to keep all the other stuff like vacuums and such.

We have a back and side view. Thats why we have the living and dining on the one wall. This gives us the best options for windows out that side of the house. The other reason we have it this way is so we can see from the living room out the front of the house. I had looked at putting the other bedrooms on the front of the house, but this then boxes in he living room and we are unable to see the front yard and driveway.

Any other suggestions or anyone else want to chime in with ideas? Thank you!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

At this point, your master WC is an unsafe room. You'll want to get that door either outswinging, or change it to a pocket door on the side.

I agree with getting your kitchen to the back if that is where your views are. The "minor" bedrooms can be up front and don't need views.

Where do your stairs land upstairs? I might consider switching the direction of the stairs, and then the location of the w/d and pantry (with pantry extending to under stair area, unless you will have a basement accessed by stacked stairs).