Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

JennAir oven. Good price, but is it a good choice?

rhome410
14 years ago

It's a discontinued model:

JJW9830DDP JENN AIR 30" PRO SERIES DOUBLE WALL OVEN, MSRP was $3300, now is $2100...

I don't read much about JennAir here, so I am lacking info that would make me feel I can make an educated choice. I'm hoping someone will have experience or opinion.

I haven't seen it in person yet (looks great in photos, but I am definitely more into performance). It's a couple hour's drive, so I wanted to know if a JennAir was worth the trip.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: site that shows full description and photo

Comments (11)

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I don't know anything about that model but I have an older one (at least 8 yrs old) that works fine. I mostly use convection bake or convection roast. Temperature seems even throughout the oven and consistent each time I use it. No complaints.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't been impressed with the mixed reports I've read here on Kitchen Aid oven performance...Would these just be the same with different look and badge?

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I found this on Jenn-Air appliances. I didn't look through all the complaints to see if your model was mentioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer affairs-Jenn Air

• rhome410
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for finding that. Most of the ovens seemed to be several years old, but I don't know if the issues have been addressed with the model I'm looking at. Also, it seems that people have had trouble pretty recently with JennAir sending bad or wrong parts to 'solve' their problems. Not very encouraging.

• faith2009
    14 years ago

I just sold my home 2 months ago so do not know the model number but I had the 30" Jenn air double oven. Purchased 2004. I did call them out the first month because the baking element in the top oven did not work. They came out in a few days and fixed it. It was still under warranty. Baked fine no problems until the control board went out in 2006. Expensive to fix. The repair guy told me those go out all the time in all the models like Maytag, GE, Whirlpool, KA so I bought the warranty. Worked fine after that. I moved 2 months ago so asume it still works fine. Never used the warranty but if I didn't have it would probably have gone out. I would purchase for $2100. but would buy an extended warranty for when the control board goes out.

• faith2009
    14 years ago

Thought I should mention I have never had a high end appliance so can't tell if there is something my Jenn air didn't do as well. It is sometimes just what you are used to. I would however never buy the Jenn Air cooktop.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Faith2009. I had a JennAir range in about 1998 that had an electronic board that kept burning out...The tiny wires would just melt. It was because they'd designed the stove so that the oven vented right under it and it got too hot. They'd put in a new one, and it'd happen again. I ended up selling that range back to them. I was hoping they'd gotten less sloppy about their electronics, but if their boards are known to go out, maybe not. But that's the 'fun' of so much electronics. Very finicky and delicate sometimes.

• hapahaole76
    14 years ago

I like the look of this oven (from the pictures), does anyone have it? Looks like I can get a good deal since it's no longer made (that is if I can still find one in stock).
    Also considering a GE Monogram and KitchenAid.
    Thanks!

• HU-592244327
    3 years ago

I would have given you a thumbs up, what a great deal but I can't anymore !! While it has been great for us the past 14 years and no issues except an occasional error code which was fixed by resetting the breaker. The heart of the convection oven, the convection fan assembly, needs to be replaced and it is no longer made, no serviceable parts, no stock any where, and not making the part any more!!!!!!!!!!

• Loretta T
    3 years ago

We bought a Jenn Air duel fuel in 2003. It was a great range, however, we had to replace the electronic panel two times. My husband purchased the parts you tubed the process to replace it so we saved money that way.