Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedygs

Basement bathroom lighting....again....

hedygs
12 years ago

Why do I get so many different answers to the same question?

I need to make decisions about what lighting to use for the bathroom in the basement. It has no natural light. I was initially under the impression that sconces on each side of the mirror would be best. The salesperson at the lighting store recommended a bar over the mirror not sconces.

I had posted earlier that the bathroom is 8X8 and will have a light in the shower. DH believes that the sconces and shower light will be enough and of course I'm not sure that is correct.

The contractor wants to start already but can't without knowing where the electrical boxes need to go; sconces vs light bar over the mirror. Or can I just do smaller cans in the ceiling?

We tend to be more contemporary. Would love some help!

I'm not having much fun...

Comments (6)

• kelvar
    12 years ago

I'm a lighting junkie - I like light from multiple sources - sometimes strong light, sometimes soft lighting.

What is the wattage of the sconces? One bulb in each? Are there can lights in the ceiling other than the shower? A bar light typically has 2 to 3 to 4 bulbs in it depending on the size, so do the wattage math between the light bar verses two sconces. What kind of bar light would you consider? One that throws light downward, upward, or straight out? If your style of the new bath really calls for sconces, then can you add a can light or two in the ceiling for additional lighting? One final decision point - what kind of glass or fabric shades would be on both the sconces or light bar? That also may difuse light more than you are expecting. Heavy amber glass vs clear glass, etc.

Personally as pretty as sconces are, a light bar to me, throws more light and may be more necessary in a room with no windows. I would try to add some can lights for additional lighting if you decide on sconces.

Good luck.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I believe people find sconces on either side of the mirror to be more flattering than over the mirror lights.

In two bathrooms I recently remodeled, I only have over the mirror lighting. In my windowless full bathroom, it is an Access Lighting 4x40w Halogen Fixture and it provides sufficient lighting for the space.

I am by no means a lighting expert. Personally, if additional electrical work is not difficult and the layout supports it, I would probably do sconces on either side of the mirror, the light in the shower, and an additional ceiling light or two (recessed). You could easily put the lights on two separate switches so if you find the ceiling lights to be too much sometimes, you wouldn't need to turn them on.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I agree with ppc. I'd do the sconces for the style and beauty of them, as well as the flattering light, then do a ceiling fixture or a couple of can lights. I also tried to think of how much light I would need for cleaning and don't know if having just over mirror lights would light up the furthest corners like an overhead would. I'd put on separate switches. I often use just the overhead and don't even turn the sconces, but I don't wear makeup, so flattering light is not as crucial.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I should also mention that the materials/colors you use may also impact amount of lighting needed. Both of my bathrooms are almost completely white on the walls (and one the floor as well) so that helps bounce the light around. If the bathrooms were painted charcoal gray or chocolate brown, I'd likely need more lighting.

• hedygs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm leaning toward a light bar. The vanity is 40" wide so something smaller then that. Maybe two recessed lights in addition.

I had also seen a picture where they just used recessed lights for the bathroom. Seems like a minimalist idea that appeals to me as a possible solution?

I found a Kichler bar I like but the pictures are horrible. It would throw up and down light but does that work?

Here is a link that might be useful: Light bar

• lotsatrees
    12 years ago

We are currently renovating a bathroom that is approximately the same size. We replaced a four-light vanity bar above the mirror with two sconces and three 5" recessed lights; one above each the shower, toilet/linen closet area and the counter. Seems like a lot, but it feels just right in there. It maintains about the same wattage of lighting in the bathroom but spreads it throughout the room and gets rid of all the dark corners.