Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddiemoo_gw

Le Creuset Black Enamel Cast Iron vs. White Enamel Cast Iron

maddiemoo
16 years ago

Is there a difference? I have been looking to buy, and it seems the "sets" offer the skillet in black enamel vs the white enamel over the cast iron. I see the white enamel on cooking shows and am wondering if the black enamel is less effective or just a cheaper line from Le Creuset? Also wondering if the other pieces are the white enamel in these "sets", or they are all the black? Seems like I see the saucier listed by the piece only in the white enamel over cast iron.....Is this a better pan line from Le Creuset? Would rather have the good stuff, if possible. Thanks

Comments (8)

• maddiemoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok....great, thanks for your input.

• marys1000
    16 years ago

I think some of the pieces are just plain cast iron inside, enamaled only on the outside - like the larger frying pans.

• Joe Blowe
    16 years ago

"I think some of the pieces are just plain cast iron inside, enamaled only on the outside - like the larger frying pans."

Nope.

Le Creuset Skillets

"Le Creuset pans and skillets yield impeccable results time after time. The inner cooking surface is satin black enamel which seals in juices creating a succulent and tender meal."

To the O.P., it's basically all the same...

• marys1000
    16 years ago

Well they've changed them. The one I had from years ago was just cast iron inside. I see their griddle is still cast iron but that looks to be the only one.

• Joe Blowe
    16 years ago

Sorry, wrong again! ;-)

Le Creuset Giant Reversible Grill/Griddle

"Now, Le Creuset's porcelain enameled cast iron gives you the benefits of cast iron the first time out of the box. Don't be fooled by the rough black exterior - every inch of Le Creuset cookware is covered by porcelain enamel."

I'd be curious to see what particular item you had -- since Le Creuset's trade has always been enamel ware, you may have had a very rare/collectible item...

• marys1000
    16 years ago

Gee are we playing Wrong Again?
    This was probably 1979? 1980? I don't think you can say that it was enamled then from what the website says now. THe little tiny frying pan was enamled, flame outside, whitish inside. I never used the larger one because I don't cook enough and didn't know anything about seasoning a cast iron pan (this was pre internet). Seeing as how it would rust I seriously doubt it was enamled.
    I sold it at a garage sale for very little.

• Mark Huntington
    2 years ago

I've also read a review about black enamel where the author had the opinion that the lighter colored enamel is more prone to cracking. I'm not sure if that is true or not.