Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cat_mom

cooktop cleaner?

cat_mom
16 years ago

Svce guy recommended using ceramic (glass?) cooktop cleaner on the Wolf AG burner pans. Said it works great at removing the burnt on black spots, and leaves the surface nice and shiny. Any suggestions as to brands? I saw a few at the supermarket yesterday (and most state that they work or work great on gas range tops, porcelain, enamel, etc. as well). The brands I saw at that particular store were; Weimans, Corona, and Cooktop Magic (by the SS magic people). All were creams (in either an 8 oz or 16 oz bottle). Someone in the kitchens forum recommended MAAS brand SS cleaner and when purusing the website, saw that they have a cooktop cleaner as well.

If any of the above named products, or others not named have worked really well for you, or if there are any that are head and shoulders above the rest, or any to specifically avoid at all costs, I'd appreciate the input.

TIA!

Comments (27)

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

I've always used Easy Off and it does not do a very good job so I will monitor your post eagerly for the responses.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So far I've used Cinch, Easy Off BAM degreaser, dish soap and a blue scrub sponge....and the dots (burnt on grease?) are still there so I hope we'll get some more responses! Washing them in the sink with a sponge and BAM or dish soap does leave it the most streak and smudge-free so far (wash, dry with a dish towel and follow with a quick wipe with a micro fiber), it just doesn't remove (all) the dots.

• goutgrec
    16 years ago

Have long used an English product called Astonish, which does an excellent job.

It's mostly available online and also recommended for fireclay bath sinks and tubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Astonish

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Black enamel or porcelain (same on Wolf AG and DF ranges).

• patches123
    16 years ago

I use Easy Off cooktop cleaner (the kind in the bottle) along with a blue scotch brite pad. For me, it works better than any of the ones you mentioned. Note - I use this on my ceramic top so I can't say how it would work for your needs.

• sharon_s
    16 years ago

Hi, Cat Mom-

I haven't tried a cleaner specifically for glass tops; I'll have to give that a shot.

I seem to be having pretty good luck with Dawn Power Dissolver and a, oh what's it called--that eraser sponge thingy. Only problem is that I have a hard time finding the Dawn product here. I seem to only find it at Home Depot.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have seen the Dawn Power Dissolver at A&P but on the label it seemd to have some warnings about rinsing well or something (can't recall) so I hesitated about buying/trying it. The svce guy really touted the cooktop cleaner though...

• sharon_s
    16 years ago

I'm going to look for some of the cooktop cleaner next time I'm at the store. If you give it a try, let me know what you think (and which one you went with). I find the cleaning aisle very daunting--so many products, I never know what to get.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sahron--I am so with you on that--I thought it was just me!!! I stand there reading labels and making comparisons forever! And then, I end up coming home with nothing because I either can't decide, or I want to chek with you guys first for feedback! Like it would kill my pocketbook to buy one or two and just try them out (and toss the one(s) that doesn't do the job).

• perel
    16 years ago

I've found that Scrubbing Bubbles - the bathroom cleaner - works really well.

Easy Off Fume Free (NOT the cooktop cleaner) is even better, but that's *oven cleaner* and nastier to work with.

• sharon_s
    16 years ago

Cat Mom-

Sounds like we should never go cleaner shopping together--we'd never get out of the store!

I ended up with the Dawn Power Dissolver because so many here sang it's praises. It does work well, but you are right, you have to do a lot of rinsing to get rid of all the residue. But that's easy to do since we can pull our drip pans out and rinse them in the sink. For me it's a pain because I can only get it at Home Depot, so that makes an extra trip. I'll have to see if I can get one of the grocery stores to carry it--they have every other Dawn product.

I have the Easy Off degreaser (I don't think it's the oven cleaner that perel spoke of). I didn't care for it. And I have some other product under my sink that junk. Sigh.

Hmm, I wonder if Windex would do it?

• patti_bee
    16 years ago

Has anyone tried Bon Ami or Bar Keeper's Friend? This is what I used on my glass top electric cooktop for years. It doesn't scratch but it does remove anything burnt on. I just used a sponge with a scrubby on one side and gave it a 'rinse' with a different sponge. Easy peasy and inexpensive as well.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I tried ZUD (similar to BF) a few months ago on some very stubborn spots, but couldn't remove the spots without lots of elbow grease and ended up dulling the finish in that section of the pan so I'd like to find something that removes those black dots and larger areas of burnt on foods/grease without harming the finish (less work AKA elbow grease on my part would be nice, too!).

sharon--oh, we'd be lost for hours I'm sure!

• solarpowered
    16 years ago

I use Barkeeper's Friend on the enameled grates and burner pans of the stove here. It works pretty well.

• patti_bee
    16 years ago

Zud and Bar Keeper's Friend (and Bon Ami) are very different in composition. I've found that Zud does exactly what you describe -- dulls things. The other two don't scratch or dull. My DH says that it is the crystalline silica in Zud that probably causes the dulling.

• markw
    16 years ago

If it's enamel/porcelain, then I concur with those who have suggested BKF/Bon Ami. I've used these for years on cooktops and enameled grates with no problems. If you want to be extra careful, mix some BKF/Bon Ami with water to make a paste but in my experience, it takes the burned bits off and doesn't hurt the surface at all.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Are BKF/Bon Ami any different (e.g. milder) than ZUD?

Still hoping to find out about the ceramic/glass specific cream cleaners as well.....

• patti_bee
    16 years ago

Cat mom, yes, BKF and Bon Ami are both milder and gentler than Zud. I use them to clean my pots and pans because they work and don't scratch.

Bon Ami is --
    Sodium carbonate
    Calcium carbonate (Limestone)
    Feldspar-group minerals

BKF --
    Oxalic acid dihydrate

Zud --
    Crystalline silica
    Oxalic acid
    Pumice

Zud has its uses but I wouldn't use it on a cooktop. YMMV.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Either one better as all-purpose or both have their uses? I think BF is more similar to Zud (as far as metal cleaning goes), so maybe Bon Ami would be the way to go for burner pans cleaning if I don't pick a cream cooktop cleaner?

• kelly726
    16 years ago

Well I don't know anything about your stove, but I do use a glass/ceramic cooktop cleaner on mine! :) I use Cerama Bryte cooktop cleaner. It works well for me. And I've even called their 800# for cleaning help.
    I have to buy it at Lowes but I know their website lists other stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cerama Bryte - where to buy

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks kelly726. I called Cerama Bryte manuf. and was told absolutely NOT to use it on my Wolf AG burner pans (or any porcelain/enamel/other). Something about the chmicla composition of it is not good for those surfaces and can or will dull them.

As I mentioned above, the ones I saw in the supermarket (Weimans, Corona, and Cooktop Magic) listed on their labels that they were great for cleaning porcelain, or gas rangetops, or enamel so they seem like a better bet if they are recommending using it on those surfaces. The woman on the phone at CB said "no way!"

If anyone's used any of those three that are okay for gas ranges and can say if any are good or just plain awful, I'd still love to know.

• villandry
    16 years ago

Maximum strength Easy Off. Leave on for 2 hours. It's magic. Better yet throw them in the oven at 180. Resistance is futile!

Barkeepers will eventually scratch the surface.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Wow, here's what I read on a search for oxalic acid dihydrate (the ingredient as listed for Bar Keepers by patti_bee above):

Stability: Stable. INCOMPATIBLE with bases, acid chlorides, steel, silver, silver compounds, moisture. Avoid contact with metals.

I prefer Bon-Ami even for scrubbing all types of kitchen sinks and acrylic showers or tubs. All other stuff removes the shine eventually.

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How about BKF multipurpose cooktop cleaner (small bottle, different label than BKF liquid/cream)? Saw it in BB&B so I picked that up (had coupons), but if you think it could be harmful.....

• sharon_s
    16 years ago

Hi, Cat-Mom-

I picked up the Weimans glass cooktop cleaner to give it a try. I'm unimpressed. I think it's mainly a polisher--it didn't seem to do anything with the grease. Oh well. Hope I saved you from trying it!

• cat_mom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Sharon! I didn't purchase it yet, but was considering it. I picked up a bottle of the Dawn Power Dissolver gel (spray), but haven't used it yet. Our range is being replaced by Wolf next week. Debating whether it's worth the effort to try using the Dawn to clean the one we have now (for practice) or just wait 'til the new one's here and needs cleaning.