Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amtrucker22

New floor plan ready for review

amtrucker22
11 years ago

Hello GW

I would love feedback on the following plans to help me with my troubled spots. We are a family of 4 in FL (wife & 2 young boys).

Here are my comments:

The plan has to come down to 2800 sqft (currently at 3150)

~ Move closet in media room to the north wall and have it eat into the family room

~ Lockers need to be adjusted (I don't think he knew what I meant when I said lockers)

~ Dont necessarily like the layout of the kitchen. We do not want anything in the island (no stove)

~Wife would like to have a double oven somewhere

~ No formal dining room so the space below the kitchen is the dining area. I don't really like the pantry in that area as it would probably cramp the person who would be sitting the chair closest to it. Thinking about making it into a builtin of some sort.

2nd Floor

~ Wife would like a space to sit and do makeup in the bathroom so we are thinking of eliminating the linen closet and extending the counter so she would have a sit-down area to primp

~ The shower will be a walk around shower so we might have to slide down the water closet and eat some of her closet space up.

~ Weird closet space by the stairway

~ The bonus area will only be floored and allow for storage.

Please let me know what you guys think!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)

• CamG
    11 years ago

I really, really like that plan. If we could add another 500 sf, I'd be stealing a lot.

Couple things:
    -Why not move the laundry to the second floor, where that "weird" closet is? Make much more sense than the really long path from bedrooms to laundry room right now.
    -Make the door to the toilet room either swing out or be a pocket, because if someone passes out in there--happens more than you'd think--he or she would slump against the door and opening it would be impossible. (My brother is a nurse, he did this to my grandparent's existing bathroom--except he couldn't have it swing out, so he sawed the thing in half to make a dutch door, so if someone were to pass out in the bathroom, an ER could open the top and hop over it...)
    -Move the in the non-master bedrooms so that there are closets between each. You've got plenty of space there, I wouldn't want the two rooms sharing a wall. I'm thinking you'd move the closet from the corner bedroom to be between it and the other front bedroom; then take the closet from the middle-right bedroom and put it along the wall it shares with the front bedroom.
    -I think it will be easy to eliminate 2' from each dimension, which is about what you need. Almost any of the rooms could loose a foot or two and still be comfortable.

Curious, do you have an elevation?

• amtrucker22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi CamG

Thanks for the comments. I agree with most of them!

We were thinking of the nightmare of a leaking washing machine on the 2nd floor. That is the only thing we are worried about on putting it on the 2nd floor.

I will definitely add the change to the water closet

I LOVE the idea about the closets. We definitely need the noise buffer between the boys. I love my youngest but when he is sleeping it is my time and I don't want anyone waking him up!

I attached the elevation.

• CamG
    11 years ago

I understand the concern about upper floor laundry, but I think using a pan underneath the washer, having a shutoff valve, etc can really help mitigate the risk. Ultimately, there are lots of water lines on the second floor... People with finished basements have the same issue with main floor laundry rooms. Here, particularly, there is just a really long path to the laundry.

Btw, I played around with this plan in photoshop to get it to 35x35, and even that big of a reduction works pretty well. In doing so, I noticed you might be able to make one of the kids walk in closets go all the way to the front wall of the house. It's cut out for the steps, but the steps don't begin right there. Not sure if you would want to, but something to consider. You could make that longer and then cut part of it out for a built in desk or the like.

The kitchen is going to be a challenge, I think. You will need to either put a sink or range on the peninsula, or both on the exterior wall. Neither seem great options. You might post that over at the kitchens forum.

Oh, another thing... You have an opening in the wall btwn kitchen area and garage hallway, looking right into the bathroom. I think that will make users a bit uncomfortable. Maybe make that one big opening in the middle, so there is not a direct sight into the bathroom.

• Naf_Naf
    11 years ago

RE elevation:
    Those bumps at the porch are not making the elevation better or more interesting. They are kind of distractive.
    To make the porch more usable you could make it about 2 feet deeper.
    The columns appear to be too thin. I'd place only 3 columns on each side of the door and use the extra money somewhere else.

• CamG
    11 years ago

I agree with above. Maybe put a single peak above the front door. Depending on your free time between now and the build, double check your details using the book below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Get your house right

• CamG
    11 years ago

I agree with above. Maybe put a single peak above the front door. Depending on your free time between now and the build, double check your details using the book below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Get your house right

• amtrucker22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi naf_naf

Thanks for the comments, I will bring it up to the wife but I think she is sold on the front of the house. We got the inspiration from the attached pictures.

CamG - Thanks for the reference, I will definitely take a look. Good catch on the direct line of site to the bathroom. The kitchen I think is our biggest challenge. I will probably cross post to the kitchen forum to get their suggestions.

• amtrucker22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is what we picture the actual picture of that particular part of the porch.

• dpusa
    11 years ago

OP

I like the plan. Agree with moving the stove in the island. However a second sink I.e, prep sink in the island is one thing we re having in the island. Had it in our last home and its amazing.

Also only having one bath for three bedrooms upstairs is tight logistically, do you have kids and would perhaps adding one as a jack and Jill be effective.

Overall it's a well laid out plan, great job and good luck!

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I would 'flip' the back of the first floor plan. Basically keep the front areas, but do a mirror reverse of the back...with the kitchen/dining area on the right and the family room on the left. This way, you could have some windows in the dining area! That kitchen seems like it will be pretty dark, with only the window over the sink. Hope that helps :)

• amtrucker22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ dpusa - I agree with the prep sink. I think we are going to want to enlarge the island and put a prep sink in there. In our current house we have the sink in the penisula and it tends to splash when people are on the other side. That bothers us quite a bit.

The 1 bathroom upstairs will serve both boys. The third bedroom will be a scrapbook room for the wife, but another bathroom might be something for us to consider for resale purposes.

Hi lavender_lass, that is funny you mention that cause this is actually our 2nd set of drawings and the first set had the flipped. We asked him to put it this way so it would be easy to access the kitchen from the garage. So basically the architect agreed with you lol. I think that it is almost a toss up of which one would be better.

UGH... Did anyone say this was going to be easy?

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I thought that might be the case, but I'd rather have a bit more of a walk from the garage...but have windows or a french door, in the dining area. If this is your only dining area, wouldn't you like to have a view outside...or maybe even add a screened porch there, down the road? You could also add another window in the laundry area, if you like.

How big is the family room? The drawings are a little small, but if there's room you could add a wall and make a small hallway/mudroom, between the front room and the family room...and still have an easy access to the kitchen area. Just an idea :)

• amtrucker22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi lavender lass,

The living space is 21'6 x 26

I attached the link to a bigger picture.

I will talk to the wife about flipping it back. My garage is perfect :)

• amtrucker22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alright after taking advice from both the kitchen forum and the building a house forum we have came up with this solution.

My only concerns now are

The size of the pantry
    Door swings in small rooms
    Move the entry into the kitchen in the hallway toward the garage

Let me know what you think.