Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara52_gw

RECIPE: chocolate mousse cake

barbara52
20 years ago

This is easy and delicious. It is from the magazine Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion.

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CAKE

serves 8

NOTE: Use the best bittersweet chocolate you can find!

7 ounces bittersweet chocolate

1 stick unsalted butter, plus some for greasing the pan

3 eggs, at room temp

2 TBS flour

2/3 cup sugar

optional (for garnish):

powdered sugar

freshly whipped cream

shaved chocolate

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 9x5x3 loaf pan (I use a pyrex one) and set aside. Warm about 4 cups of water and keep handy for a bain-marie (water bath).

Melt chocolate, butter, plus 2 tsp water in a double boiler. Remove and let cool briefly. NOTE: I was very wary of adding the water to the chocolate mixture -- thought this was taboo. But I checked with a friend of mine who is a professional pastry chef, and she assured me it would be all right, and it was.

With an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat eggs, flour, and sugar until light and pale colored. Add melted chocolate mixture and blend well. Mixture will be runny.

Pour batter into buttered loaf pan and place pan in a rectangular glass or ceramic baking dish. Place in oven and carefully pour warm water into the baking dish to a depth of one inch.

Check cake after 30 minutes. If it's getting too "done" on top, tent w/aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes of baking time (40 minutes total). The top will be crunchy but the inside will be very moist.

Remove loaf pan from bain-marie and place on a rack to cool slightly before serving. Can also be served at room temp.

Serve directly from the pan, cutting the cake into slices.

If you like you can sprinkle the top w/powdered sugar, and/or garnish w/whipped cream and shaved chocolate.

This is really quite scrumptious! The best thing is that it isn't a fussy recipe, and uses ingredients you're likely to have on hand.

Comments (11)