Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gumspring45_gw

RECIPE: looking for: coconut cake recipe

gumspring45
10 years ago

I'd love to try a coconut cake. I have not tried many cakes from scratch, but I don't like the flavor of box cake. For some reason, I get an aftertaste. I'm not a great cook although I've had decades of trying. Want to experiment again! My friend served me coconut cake from her mother's secret recipe. It was delicious. Anyone have a good recipe?

Comments (2)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've been wanting to try this.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
    Catt's Cream of Coconut Cake
    I love this cake! I know it's a variation of the "Better than....." cakes, but I like this one more than any I've tried. At the end of this recipe, I'll post some variations too. This cake is very rich - just a small square will satisfy you!

1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
    1 (16-ounce) can coconut milk
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1 (16-ounce) container whipped topping
    1 (8-ounce) bag sweetened flaked coconut

Prepare and bake white cake mix according to package directions in a 13 x 9 baking pan. Remove cake from oven and while still hot, using the end of a wooden spoon, a skewer or a fork, poke holes all over top of the cake. Whisk coconut milk and sweetened condensed milk together. Pour over the hot cake. Cool completely then frost with the whipped topping and sprinkle with the flaked coconut. Cover and store in refrigerator.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Mother's Table

• rosik929
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is a recipe for a coconut cake with a raspberry filling and flaked coconut frosting.

Ingredients

2 large eggs, Whole Foods 365 brand (.50 cents)
    2 large egg whites, Whole Foods 365 brand (.50 cents)
    1 3/4 cups flour Whole Foods All Purpose flour brand (.63 cents)
    2 teasp baking powder, Rumford brand (.06 cents)
    1/2 teasp salt, Morton’s brand (.02 cents)
    3/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces, Whole Foods 365 brand (.63 cents)
    1 1/3 cups white sugar, C&H brand (.40 cents)
    1 1/2 teasp vanilla extract, McCormick brand (.69 cents)
    3/4 cup full fat coconut milk, Whole Foods 365 brand (.80 cents)
    3/4 cup raspberry jam, Whole Foods 365 brand ($1.00)
    1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut, Whole Foods 365 brand (.30 cents)

For The Frosting Ingredients

2 cups powdered sugar, C&H brand (.84 cents)
    2 tablesp butter, softened, Whole Foods 365 brand (.13 cents)
    1/2 teasp vanilla extract, McCormick brand (.23 cents)
    2-3 tablesp whole milk, Whole Foods 365 brand (.06 cents)
    1 cup shredded sweetened coconut, Whole Foods 365 brand (.60 cents)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two �" 9 inch x 1 1/2 inch (23 x 3.75 cm) cake pans, and then line the bottoms with parchment paper (or spray with non stick spray).
    Sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
    In bowl of electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until soft (about 1-2 minutes). Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition; add the egg whites and mix well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
    With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and coconut milk, in three parts; in other words, add one third of the flour, mix gently by hand with a spatula just until it is mixed in, and then add half of the coconut milk, mixing until just combined. Add half of the remaining flour, mix by hand until just mixed in, and add the other half of the coconut milk, mixing until just combined. Add the other half of the remaining flour, mixing by hand until just mixed in. Always mix gently, and do not over mix.
    Divide the batter and pour into the prepared pans, smoothing the surface with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center. Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool, in their pans, for about 10 minutes. Then invert the cakes onto a greased rack. To prevent splitting, re-invert cakes so that tops are right side up. Cool completely.
    Cut each cake in half. Place one cake layer on your serving plate and spread with about 1/3 of the raspberry jam and sprinkle with about 1 - 2 tablespoons of coconut, or enough to lightly cover the entire surface of the cake. Continue with the next layers, stacking and filling with the jam and coconut. Set aside when done. You will be making the frosting next.

For The Frosting

In a mixing bowl add the powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. Turn the mixer on medium low and slowly add the whole milk until you reach the consistency desired. Increase the speed to medium and continue to beat until fluffy.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz