Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

Gob Filling Suggestions, Please??

trudymom
16 years ago

I am planning to make some gobs this week using devil's food cake mix as the cookie part. I'd like to fill them with different fillings. What would your suggestions be for the fillings?

Thank you!

Comments (6)

• Dee1
    16 years ago

What are gobs?

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a recipe similar to what I am using except I am using devil's food cake mix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gobs

• anniebpa
    16 years ago

Here in central Pa., we call them "whoopie pies" rather than "gobs," and they're regularly available at farmer's markets and even grocery stores. The commercial icing is usually the super-sweet confect. sugar/crisco type, but I like mine better. Here's the recipe I've been using for about 25 years:

FRENCH CREAM FROSTING for WHOOPIE PIES

3/4 c. milk
    3 tbsp flour
    3/4 c. crisco
    3/4 c. sugar (granulated, not confectioners')
    1 tsp vanilla
    3/4 tsp salt

Combine milk and flour in saucepan. Use whisk to blend well. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Set pan aside and let cool to room temp.

Cream other ingredients together (the KA mixer does a good job of incorporating the sugar into the crisco); add cooled milk/flour mixture. Mix together until all is combined. Frosting is whipped cream-like but with more body to it, and it's not too sweet.

Hope you get a chance to try it! (P.S. This recipe, along with one for the chocolate cake-type cookies, came from an old cookbook put together by a church women's group.)

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

anniebpa, thank you for the filling recipe for your whoopie pies. It sounds wonderful and I will try it. Could you also possibly share your recipe for the cookie part??

Thank you!

• anniebpa
    16 years ago

Hi, Sorry it has taken me so long to respond! When I first read your post, I did not click onto the link, so I didn't realize that Paula Deen's recipe was so close to the one I've been using. Although my cookie recipe is only slightly different from hers (mine makes a smaller quantity),it does include a few hints that might be useful. (I've also added a few comments in parentheses.) Because several bowls and containers are used, it can be a messy recipe, but it has been one of my "tried-and-trues." Thanks for reminding me of it!

Here it is:
    WHOOPIE PIES--soft cake-like cookies

1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 c. crisco
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp. soda
    1/2 c. buttermilk
    2 2/3 c. flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    3-4 T. cocoa (heaping if you like choc.)
    1/2 c. hot water

In mixer, combine first 4 ingredients (until all are well-incorporated and sugar is no longer grainy). Dissolve soda in buttermilk. (Use a 1 1/2-2 cup container--mixture will bubble up some because of chem. reaction.) Add flour and salt to creamed mixture, alternating with buttermilk/soda combination. Dissolve cocoa in hot water (hot but not boiling. Add this cocoa mixture to the creamed mixture. Let batter stand for a few minutes. Drop by teaspoon or tablespoon onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. (Depends on size of cookies and other factors.)

• maxmom96
    16 years ago

anniebpa,
    Would your filling be good in cream puffs or would it be too heavy? I don't care for pastry cream and would like something a bit lighter and less "eggy".
    I remember cream puffs from long ago, and their filling of something pretty airy, that was able to sit in the bakery case all day. (Probably full of chemicals, even in those days!)
    Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm