Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Have you used "space bags"?

Sueb20
10 years ago

...or any sort of those vacuum-sealed bags? I'm already optimistically thinking about warmer weather, and eventually stashing the winter comforters and bringing out the summer quilts. The comforter on our bed is huge, and it would be so much easier to store if I could compress it in some way. I looked at a set of space bags on Amazon, but reviews were very mixed, so I thought I'd check the panel of consumers here! Any recommendations? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I've used them successfully. I would caution you about squishing a comforter if it is made of down because the compression can break the feathers. I store my comforters, uncompressed, in large plastic zipper bags that I buy at Container Store. They fit on the overhead shelf in my closet and the ceiling helps to hold them in place.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

I use them to store blankets, comforters and beach towels. We have tons of beach towels for our pool and I put them in the space bags for the winter. It keeps them from getting gross in the basement and they take up a lot less space.

I've found some work better than others. Cheap ones never work for long.

Beth P.

• camlan
    10 years ago

What I've heard is that you can store comforters in them, but not to fully compress the comforters, as they might not spring back all the way. You can compress the down alternative comforters more than a real down comforter--the down comforters should not be compressed more than half-way.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Mine eventually leaked air back into the bag and the reinflated some, but it still keeps the contents clean and dry and dust free.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Don't compress real down.

• kimberlyrkb
    10 years ago

I bought a box of assorted space bags a few years ago at Costco. They were Space Bag brand. None if them lasted more than a year - all eventually leaked. Love the idea, but I wouldn't buy them again.

• User
    10 years ago

I've used them and like them. I did have one leak, but the stuff was still protected in the bags.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I used heavy duty 40 gallon contractor trash bags and my Dyson vacuum and had great success with that method. I store pillow forms in them. I use heavy elastics to close them and none have leaked since last fall. I had a friend help with the closing.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

Kimberly, I had the same experience!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I have used both the Space Bags and the large contractor bags. I have to be careful where I store the filled bags as I have a male cat that is obsessed with plastic. He licks and chews them. The later, obviously, being detrimental to the sealing in of air.