Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firebug_gw

Hearthstone Mansfield

firebug
15 years ago

I have replaced my old steel Fischer wood stove with a Hearthstone Manfield. I am disappointed with the gentle soapstone heat. I have keept a fire for several days now. There are claims that the stove heats up to 2500 square feet. Mine seems to only heat 500. My house is open and the old stove heated the house with ease. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Comments (2)

• woodinvirginia
    15 years ago

Did you start your season by slowly having 1 small fire for 1 hour followed by another longer 2 hour fire the next day & then gradually increasing the length of the fire each time you burn it?

I have a Hearthstone Heritage in my basement and it is now seasoned...because I start off each season by following this same process. Now when I burn my first fire to get ashes ready for my second burn.. the first fire I build may only last 2 hours.. then my next fire I pack the box with 40-50lbs of wood & walk away.. That will burn un attended for the next 6-8 hours using seasoned oak. Long enough for me to sleep & wake up with a warm house if I do it by 10 PM at night. It heats up 1800 sq ft of my basement,where I have my office. It will be nothing to get it going the next morning when I return. Plus I have air return in my basement that circulates the heat Up & through the air duct system of my house heating the upstairs level by only putting the fan on in my ranch style house and it heats the 1800 sq ft upstairs too..
    I have no idea why it won't heat up your house..it won't be like the blast furnace effect you get with cast iron stoves; but it will be warm. If it isn't have your fireplace dealer make an analysis of your draft & air coming in.. and the outside/inside combustion air dynamics of your home. Everyone's home is different.. It took me some learning to find out how to make my stove burn the right way..

• yayagal
    15 years ago

We're interested in getting a new wood stove, ours is 25 years old. Does anyone have an opinion on the Napoleon?