Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newdawn1895

Has anyone ever published a successful book?

newdawn1895
14 years ago

I am writing a book and I need to find out how to get it published. I need step by step advice, could anyone help? It's a killer book, that I have poured my heart and soul into. Actually I am still writing it, and for all I know it could be a piece of junk and I am just being bias. Since I haven't let anyone look at it yet.

I don't expect Simon & Schuster to come a calling, or have Robert Redford or Miramax begging for the movie rights. Of course if your going to dream, dream big.

Or maybe I could capture a James Conn like Kathy Bates did in Misery to rewrite it. No one would ever find Mr. Man out here.

Seriously, has anyone of you ever written a book and had it published? There are so many good writers on here and I would like to know.

...Jane

Comments (12)

• happyintexas
    14 years ago

Not me, but friends have. I'm an aspiring writer working on her novel. (I have published magazine articles.) I hang out with bunches of like minded folks in a writer's group.

That's what I recommend you find...a read and critique writer's group to begin with. They will hear you read your book (in pieces) and give you feedback on what works and what isn't. Valuable advice! Google writer's groups in your town or county. Ask at the library--those folks know lots about writers! Some groups are better than others. Find one that's supportive, kind, and brutally honest. You'll be a better writer for it!

Then, through them you can find writer's conferences where you can meet editors and agents...they are the true gatekeepers of the industry.

Best wishes! I fun to follow a dream!

• newdawn1895
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you happyintexas, I will google it. There have been many successful writers here in Alabama. And I have heard that Harper Lee sometimes sneaks in at the back of the Mockingbird book club.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I have, but I'm not a fiction writer. I've linked to a pretty comprehensive list of creative writing blogs.

Here is a link that might be useful: 100 Creative Writing Blogs

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Not me (I wish, it's a dream), but hollygolightly, an old-timer not seen around here in ages, has multiple books published. She's very quiet about it, didn't even know she was a published author for years. Here is her site. (There's a chance Allison - maybe Demi - are in touch with holly, she's also another southern belle. ;)

I read her book Crazy Ladies and loved it! I wanted to send her a note via Allison (see, mental pause, can't remember if I sent it or not). My mom is a former voracious reader of everything, from the Bible (multiple times) to novels to classic literature. Since she had a couple mini-strokes she's not been able to retain much of what she reads, so in the past ten years or so she pretty much gave up. Anyway, on a vacation back home I loaned her Crazy Ladies with fingers crossed, having southern living in her background I knew she'd be able to relate & enjoy it if she could just stay with it. She got hooked like I did & read Crazy Ladies cover to cover, I was thrilled! So I'm going to get her another of hgl's books.

Anyway, I'm trying to make a point here. ;) My experience with her is she's a really sweet lady, very unassuming and gracious. Might be worth a shot getting in touch with her? (Or at least grab one of her books, check out her writing style, I have a feeling you won't be disappointed!) I haven't checked her site in awhile & see she has a blog now too. (And my oh my, the food pics there are mouth-watering, and I'm starving!).

Good luck Jane, interject that wit of yours and I bet you've got a winner!

• yborgal
    14 years ago

Jboling, one of our members, is a published author. She may be able to help you.

• newdawn1895
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ideefix--Thank you so much I checked out the writing blogs.

Moonshadow--Thank you I just ordered Crazy Ladies and I can't wait to read it. Thank you for being so helpful and for the encouragement.

Mona--Thank you for the tip!

Ya'll are the best!

• jay06
    14 years ago

Thanks for thinking about me, Mona. I hesitated to post here because of the word, "successful" in the subject line. :-)

Newdawn, I would suggest you get the latest copy of "Writer's Market", usually found in the reference section of your bookstore. It contains a wealth of information on how to submit manuscripts to publishers, as well as a listing of publishers and what they do and do not accept. It also contains contact information for agents.

I was lucky to have three murder mysteries published without an agent, but my publisher caters to a specific market--libraries that buy book packages on a quarterly basis (two mysteries, two romances, two westerns, etc.). The books are offered to the public online through Amazon and Barnes and Noble. So, while it's fun to have them published, there's not a lot of money in it.

To make it big, you really need an agent, and they're almost as difficult to get as having your book published. Getting an agent is my next goal, as soon as I have the time and motivation to start another book! Most large publishers will not accept unsolicited manuscripts and only work with agented material. Those publishers that do accept unsolicited manuscripts generally want a synopsis of your book and the first three chapters at first, then they'll let you know if they want to see the rest.

Beware of publishers who want money from you to read your stuff, and I'd also advise against self-publishing offers. Also, before you submit your work, make sure it's proofread well and the copy is clean (that is, no spelling or horrendous grammar mistakes). If it's difficult to get past mistakes, the editor won't read much more than a few paragraphs.

Good luck!

• newdawn1895
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks jboling, I knew it wasn't going to be easy if not impossible. This is a little discouraging, I have to say.

I'll pick up the book you suggested.

Thanks again!

....Jane

• jay06
    14 years ago

Well, don't start off by letting the process discourage you, because you really need to steel yourself to possible repeated rejections once you begin submitting your manuscript. Even "The Godfather" was rejected several times. I looked at the process like fishing. It took a lot of patience, fortitude and some disappointment, but once I got a bite, it was really exciting.

• newdawn1895
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If you don't mind jboling can you tell me some of the books you have written?

I just ordered Crazy Ladies last night written by another GW regular.

• jay06
    14 years ago

I'll send you an e-mail. Don't want to do any self-promoting. :-)

• newdawn1895
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you jboling for your help and email.

...Jane

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer