Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex2004_gw

I just ordered from Custom Shoppe

alex2004
17 years ago

I have been in the market for an entertainment center (plasma TV cabinet and side piers) for a long time. I have looked at Hooker, Stanley, Sligh, Thomasville, Restoration Hardware,and Statton. It is quite obvious that Statton is far more superior to the rest. But the price tag is also beyond my reach. I have read some posts on this forum praising the quality of Custom Shoppe furniture piece. So I found a local dealer and saw a piece of their furniture in person. It indeed is made of wood (they do use veneered plywood for cabinet sides, shelves, and table top). The craftsmanship is very decent, maybe slightly below the Statton and Stickley pieces that I saw, but clearly above the rest I have seen. The price for the three pieces is just over $6000, comparable to Stickley, but not as expensive as Statton. Delivery is expected to be 12-14 weeks. Wish me luck.

Comments (9)

• alex2004
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was hoping to get some comments on the quality of Custom Shoppe. Anybody?

• johnwc
    17 years ago

Have you already placed an order?

• alex2004
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I have placed an order. But I am willing to listen to what you have to say. I have read so many of your previous posts, and I know that you only accept the highest standard in terms of furniture quality. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

• mactruck
    17 years ago

I am very happy with my Custom Shoppe Maple Entertainment console & hutch top. My 50" Pioneer Plasma TV looks like it was built for the piece. Not the other way around.

I think you will be very happy with their product.
    Thanks for supporting US Manufacturing too.

• alex2004
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mactruck, I think one of your posts introduced me to this manufacturer, and I thank you for that. I would otherwise still be searching for the perfect piece that fullfil all my needs. My only problem is that I can not compare price between different vendors, because they only give you one dealer's name. I guess they don't want their dealers to compete with each other. Does the price sound reasonable to you, compare to what you got?

• johnwc
    17 years ago

"I have read so many of your previous posts, and I know that you only accept the highest standard in terms of furniture quality."

I need to correct this as it is simply not the case. Yes, I love high quality but I also love a bargain. While we have furniture representative of the finest IMHO that the industry offers - Henkel Harris for example - my preference is for quality furniture available at steep discounts (read: no MRP) like Hickory White.

I am simply not familiar with Custom Shoppe so I cannot give you any feedback. Most swoon when they hear the phrase "custom furniture" and often the swooning is justified. It strikes me that it is expensive at $6,000 especially considering the liberal use of plywood. There was a recent discussion here about plywood so you may want to read it and google and learn more about it. Also, talk to the dealer to understand the plywood quality they use.

Please do not misunderstand me, most cabinetmakers I have met are exellent craftsmen who truly love what they do. I used to be a woodworker although nothing on the order of custom furniture.

Still, as MacTuck indicates, having your TV actually fit the entertainment center is very attractive. Before I would spend $6,000, I would try to understand more. Perhaps some other CS owners will chime in.

• alex2004
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Johnwc: thank you for your comments on the use of plywood. Custom Shoppe says in their brochure that "for structural integrity, furniture grade plywood is used for cabinet sides, table tops and shelves". I have sort of given up on the hope of getting all solid wood furniture. Recently I took a trip to the Statton furniture factory in MD for a factory sale. The plasma TV cabinet alone cost over $5000 (at 60% off MSRP). Adding two side cabinets, the price will be over $10000. And that is not solid cherry either. I bought a coffee table and asked them if it was made of solid cherry, and they told me that the table top was cherry veneer. I called Henkel Harris to ask what was used for their table top, and the answer was "high density core stock". If these high end furniture manufacturers have stopped using all solid wood for their furniture, who would continue to do that? Correct me if I am wrong, I think furniture grade plywood is at least better than MDF, which is the material used for Hooker, Stanley and Thomasville as far as I know. Of course I wish I could get the Statton TV cabinet and side cabinets for $6000, but that is just not possible. Custom Shoppe is my compromise between quality and price.

• johnwc
    17 years ago

Alex, when CS says they use plywood "for structural integrity", they refer to dimensional stability. Of course, there are construction methods which employ the use of solid wood and still have acceptable levels of dimensional stability. I don't think Chippendale had that much MDF from which to choose. So, the real reason is likely cost, a factor all manufacturers are concerned about.

Both Statton and HH make solid furniture lines in addition to veneered products. Honestly, I was under the impression that all of Statton's furniture was solid cherry. As to HH "high density core stock", yes I had that conversation with Mark Henkel. I assume that means HDF. MDF/HDF offers superior qualities of dimensional stability. As consumers, it strikes us as cheap and unbefitting a quality mfg. I know.

In no way am I attempting to talk you out of buying from the Custom Shoppe. There are a range of buying decisions which are sensible. But, I would ask some questions. For example, if you need corrective work under the CS warranty, what must you do to get the work accomplished? In my experience, where most custom shops fall down is in the finish. Are you happy with the finish? Do you understand what went into the finish?

• alex2004
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think you are probably right in that the high end furniture manufacturers do a much better job in finishing than the custom shops. The floor sample made by Custom Shoppe displayed in the store does have some uneveness in the finish, and it does not look as deep and rich as the finish on the HH and Statton pieces.You get what you paid for.