Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
val1120

FIreplace wall - modern - not sure what to do ??

val1120
11 years ago

I have this fireplace wall I just built. I am planning on either painting the wall a deeper orange and put a stainless frame around the fireplace with a black floating shelf.

OR I can stone the entire wall or do a tile all the way to the ceiling with a floating mantle.

Anyone have any ideas? I am very un decided about what to do but I want to make it a modern feel. NOt sure the white mantle surround thing is happening for me.

Comments (3)

• carpecattus
    11 years ago

I would worry about the orange and black scheme reminding me of Halloween everyday. ;-) Have you taken a look at Houzz.com? Lots of inspiration photos that might help you figure out which way to go. You might also check out gas fireplace company websites to check out their photos for ideas.

I always loved how Candice Olson, of the HGTV show Divine Design, would redesign fireplaces - she created some gorgeous contemporary fireplaces. I'm sure the HGTV website has photos of her work - if not she does have several books available. Perhaps your local library has some of her books available.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    11 years ago

Val,

I've been considering painting my fireplace, but not a solid color... rather an image on each side since it is a see through fireplace. I found a nice selection of rocks for one side and painting a slab of granite on the opposite side. Of course, being an artist, helps. There are some great pictures out there of different slabs if that is something that interests you.

On the onyx side, I plan to put in some vague images of recognizable things, perhaps a horse climbing a mountain, etc. The human eye wants to see images. We look at clouds and want to see a face. I'll paint one side after I get the living room painted so I can work the same colors into it. Trompe L'oeil style. Already planning to use my barn door down the hall on one side and paint the rest of the wall in the same style as the door with the intent that the barn door would blend and not see where it is... in theory only.

I'm sure this isn't what you had in mind, but it's my plans. Good luck with yours. I think I'd stay away from orange unless it works with the rest of your room's furniture as colors change from one year to the next.

Good luck. I for one would love to see what you've done when it's finished.
    Xtal

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    11 years ago

Val,

Do check out painting your fireplace creatively. Trompe L'Oeil style is realistic an can appear to be 3D. Both of these have been saved for that purpose. Nice thing is that the selection of paint could reflect your own rooms' color.

Of course, being an artist helps.
    Xtal

Here is a link that might be useful: [Paint treatment for fireplace walls[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/fireplace-walls-paint-treatments-phbr0lbl-bl~l_59031)