Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

How many cupcakes and cookies?

User
10 years ago

How many cupcakes and cookies would you provide for 60 guests?

There will be other real food but the above would probably be the main dessert.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I would definitely have a minimum of 60 cupcakes for 60 people. Even though some may not eat one, I would not want to take a chance and I would probably have a few extra in case someone (or several) were to take two! Cookies- a bunch...maybe 10 dozen. Again, just to be safe:)

Also, it may depend on the type of party. With that many guests, I would probably opt for two sheet cakes or a wedding-type layer cake that would be much easier to put out on a table and which could be cut into smallish pieces that are easier to eat neatly than a cupcake. Even just a dozen cupcakes take up a fair amount of space when put out on a table unless they are those miniature cupcakes.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

OMG Shee, is your baby turning 1 already??

Anyway, I agree with cyn. Always better to have too much than not enough. If you end up with a lot left over, you can always send some home with guests. Or freeze the cookies.

I have to differ with cyn, though, in that I think it's easier to serve cupcakes than cake, and I also prefer cupcakes in general -- they're easier to eat if you are standing (just assuming that you're not having a sit-down dinner), more "fun," and of course they're also kinda trendy. ;)

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i would plan for at least 1 mini cupcake/person and at least 2- probably 3- cookies/person to be safe... (2 minis/person if you're having a good # of older kids/teenagers...!!)

i would definitely do mini cupcakes, because it seems fewer people in general eat cake at parties than cookies......

• camlan
    10 years ago

I'd have 70 cupcakes. If there are kids at the party, someone's going to drop their cupcake on the floor. Have backups.

Then have at least 2 cookies per person.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

I think what kind of cupcakes matters. Are they the home baked kind? they are usually not that big and a lot of people eat more than one I think. Large gourmet heavy or rich cupcakes? Most people would not eat more than one. :)

so home made kind, I would do 7 dozen. :) and then cookies, hmm I dont know, are you going to have a fresh fruit bowl or salad too? maybe 3 or 4 dozen cookies.

I always have too much food though. I was really tempted for my DS's recent 1 year party to buy cupcakes but somewhere found the time to make them. I did not have so many people though by far! :) I also had fruit and some cookies since the cupcakes all had chocolate and I know some can not have it.

• joanie_b
    10 years ago

1.5 cupcakes per person would be a standard catering calculation.

Enough for everyone to have one and if some have two, it won't leave you short because... there will be people that will have two cupcakes and, more than likely, some that will eat three.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are suggesting along the lines of what I was thinking. I knew I should have more than 60 but was hoping I could have more cookies. For the amount of people, I think it will be easier for me to go with cupcakes. I considered ordered from a bakery but their 'servings' usually are so tiny.

Yes, buddy boy is getting so big! I can't believe I'm planning his birthday. I know nobody actually asked but. . . we were going to go with a colorful Happy Birthday theme but he really responds well to The Cat in the Hat so we decided to go that direction.

We're keeping it more simple than some of the parties seen online. The tables set up pretty with 10 bottles of sparkling water and 2 small cups of candy, etc. doesn't work in (our) real life! The main food isn't going to be themey. We rented a huge tent and are going to fire up the grill.

I'll be making both the cupcakes and cookies from scratch. The cupcakes will be Thing 1 & Thing 2 (I know, it's overdone online but I've yet to see it IRL.) The cookies will be sugar cut outs with royal icing (no egg) decorated to coordinate.

We'll probably have fruit and salad. I'm having a hard time figure amounts (obviously) for that many people.

About the cupcakes, all food will be in the shade but it's still probably going to be in the 80s when we have the party. Would you, make icing to stand the heat (I found recipes that swear they won't melt away but it's ehhh..crisco) or keep them inside and bring them out before serving? I need to do some taste tests. I planned to make cupcake stands and will admit I want to see the cupcakes displayed. It's more important to me for the cupcakes to taste good though.

Oh, does anyone have a good white cake recipe? I have the chocolate covered.

• camlan
    10 years ago

I'd keep the cupcakes inside. All that frosting would attract bugs. And, if there will be small children there, they will see the cupcakes and want the cupcakes NOW. It might be best to keep the cupcakes as a surprise and bring them out just before they are to be eaten.

You can have the cupcakes on stands and have someone help you bring them out when it's time to serve them. Give people a minute or two to admire them and then serve them.

And you didn't ask--but I think a Cat in the Hat theme is perfect for a baby's birthday.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will keep the cupcakes inside. Cookies too I suppose. That makes better sense.

Thanks everyone!

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Sounds like you are on track with numbers-- just want to say the theme and party sound lovely!

A whole year, huh? Time passes too quickly! Enjoy the celebration!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i have baked alot over the years and white icing recipes that are 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening really do hold up better-and pipe better... (maybe all shortening holds up best, but lack alittle in flavor...)