Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisabryn_gw

Starting fires with newspapers in Jotul wood burning insert?

lisabryn
17 years ago

We had a Jotul wood burning insert installed in our fireplace last year and love it. It heats the entire house! Now, when the company installed this, they taught me to build a fire with newspaper, so we have been using lots of newspaper to start our fires. The owner of the fireplace company was just over to give us another estimate and he looks at our fireplace and asks what all the newspaper is for. He was completely aghast that we have been using newspaper to start our fires and says it is a huge No-No!

I'm wondering what people do? He said we should be using gel or fire starter in it. I have to say, there is a huge build up of creosote and we have the chimney cleaned twice during the winter. Also, people have complained about their eyes burning sometimes... Is this from the newspaper?

Thanks for your thoughts here!

Comments (3)

• rickt06
    17 years ago

I sure dont think its a problem, i do it in my fireplace insert all the time. Seems totally logical to me. I mean, its not a paper burning stove, but some paper to start it, whats the big deal. I have also been known to dispose of other paper in it (as opposed to shreading it). Pack it densly in a box and toss it in, seems to work well as long as you have a good coal bed going. Is it ideal, no... does it work, yep sure does...

• theplayer
    17 years ago

The guy is full of it. From Jotul manual (Kennebec 450):

Starting and Maintaining a Fire
    Burn only solid wood directly on the bottom grate
    of the stove, do not elevate the fire in any way.
    1. Set the Air Control Lever in the full open position.
    2. Crumple several sheets of newspaper directly
    on the grate.
    2. Place several pieces of small dry kindling (approx.
    1" in diameter) on top of the newspaper, with
    two to three small logs (approx. 2" to 3" in
    diameter) on top.
    3. Light the fire and close the door. Gradually build
    the fire by adding larger and larger logs

• garyg
    17 years ago

Lisa:

I use a Duraflame Log (wax and sawdust) to start my fire in my woodburning fireplace. I get a 9-pack of 5 pound logs at Home Depot for $13. I cut a whole log into several pieces and use just one small piece surrounded by kindling and small logs.

"I have to say, there is a huge build up of creosote and we have the chimney cleaned twice during the winter."
    I bet that you do not have a stainless steel liner installed in the chimney for the insert. Inserts that do not have a SS liner build a lot of creosote because of the low exhaust temperatures coupled with low velocity up the chimney.

The reason why many people frown on using paper to start the fire is because some paper may find its way up the chimney, stick to the creosote, and ignite it causing a chimney fire.