Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Cracked table top

nosoccermom
11 years ago

Would you fix the cracked table top? And if yes, HOW? Also, is it sacrilegious to sand this table?

Here is a link that might be useful: cracked table top

Comments (7)

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry, here's the link

Here is a link that might be useful: cracked table top

• lindac
    11 years ago

Boy....that's rough.
    It appears to have no finish....so sanding is fine....but what would you sand out? The places where the boards are separated won't sand out....nor will the burrows of the wood worms...nor will the black marks that show where the screws are that hold the top to the bottom.
    Also it appears that the drop leaves are of different widths...perhaps it's an optical illusion....but before you get your heart set....ask about that.

Frankly I would leave that alone....unless your tolerance for "rough" is a lot higher than mine.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just bought it and lugged it home. The table is very sturdy, including the two drop leaves, which are the same size. I'm not going to sand it but still want to protect the top a little. Yes, it's "rough" in appearance but not to the touch. The boards are actually quite smooth. The owner said that they used wax. What kind of wax do I need to get?

• lindac
    11 years ago

Paste wax......I use Johnson's paste Wax...Trewax is also good but costs more. Go slow, apply the wax and polish a small area at a time. Carnauba wax is very hard and hard to polish so it doesn't look smeary....but when you get it polished...it will last for months!
    Don't try to put a finish on it....you will never get all the wax off and any finish will be spotty.
    Will you try to do any repair to the top or just go for the scrubbed pine look?
    Linda C

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much. I will do that. I'm not going to try to do any repairs but just go with the rustic look. The wax isn't going ot make it shiny, is it?

• lindac
    11 years ago

I think you have enough texture in that wood that it won't....you could also just smear on some wax and rub it until it's "shiny enough".
    Some may tell you to use bees wax....that gives a lovely soft look, but it never really gets hard and collects dirt and dust....and doesn't last long at all.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll use the Johnson's wax as you suggested.