Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Acronyms - a request

terezosa / terriks
10 years ago

I know that a lot of people use acronyms; DH, SIL, BIL, etc., to save on typing, but sometimes it is hard to follow the "story". Especially since sil can be son in law or sister in law. Can I suggest that when you want to use acronyms that the first time you use them in a post you type something like sister in law (SIL). I also find it easier to follow along if real names or pseudonyms are used instead of initials. Thanks.

Comments (15)

• chispa
    10 years ago

Sometimes in the kitchen forum I'm not sure if DW is dishwasher or dear wife!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Hahaha Chispa!!! I've never liked the "D" acronyms. For some reason it just seems so weird to me. In real life, I'd never say, dear husband, dear sister, etc. LOL

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I have noticed that the implied "dear" in DH, DW, DS etc. is often not very heartfelt. It has a dismissive tone.

But it has become the "lingua franca" FWIW, IIRC.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, some people may not know RH, BM, SW, PB, etc.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I'll start another thread....

• Oakley
    10 years ago

If you read more than one sentence, the acronyms are easy to figure out. After "SIL" is written, there will be a "he" or a "she" following soon.

I do agree aout the "Dear" part.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

Dh or Dw don't bother me a bit. It made me laugh the first time dh signed a note to me as 'dh'. It told me that he listens to me when I talk about all of you. I'll send him one once in a while signed dw. But maybe we're just dorks. lol!

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I'll agree with the DH so much that I pretty much refuse to use it. I'll just type out husband. I don't know why out of all the things to rub me the wrong way, it is referring to my husband as Dear...haha

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i also haven't been able to jump on the dh, ds, etc bandwagon--- but i have fully embraced lol, even tho it's no longer 'cool'!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

I suppose it depends on the way your mind works. As a young wife when message boards were relatively new to me, I thought the D was for dumb. An affectionate dumb of course but I thought it fit. Granted, the D could stand for many things, depending on your mood...

• blfenton
    10 years ago

lol is no longer cool?! When did that happen? What am I suppose to use now? Out of the loop again, as always.

And here I though that D stood for D@MN. Oh well.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

And here I thought DH was darling husband...well maybe yours is dear, but mine is darling....
    ;)

• Faron79
    10 years ago

I thought you guyses KNEW that DH DOES mean "Darling-Husband" in my case....;-)
    (one just assumes...)

"Dashing" would also apply....maybe even "Doting".....

Faron

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

too funny faron (i'd say lol, but i never got comfortable using that one - glad it's not fashionable anymore - wish someone had told me).

Using DH, DD and so on comes really naturally to me and, like others have said, have to stop myself from using it in emails to friends, etc. I do find it hard to interpret many of the 4 or 5 letter acronyms and find myself giving up on a thread if I can't. Just the way my mind works - or doesn't work.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

I'm a so-so MLB fan, so "DH" has its own meaning there too!

The attached link is pretty good....wait for it...."IMO"!!!!

Some pretty funny ones on there!
    I'm just "SMDH"...

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Internet slang stuff...