Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladykate5243

Need help with sitting room/lounge room furniture

K M
15 days ago

This is at the front of the house and will be used for a sitting/lounge area. Looking for furniture ideas. Please ignore placement and what’s in the room currently. The only thing that will be staying is the rug which is a jute rug in cream/beige, which I love!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Beverly gave you good ideas. The actual dimensions with a simple drawing ( feet/inches) would help.

I will however, add a thought:

I find this very front and very open location, literally atop the front door used as a gathering "lounge/converse" is ..........well? It goes UN used. You may be very different. But people gravitate back toward a kitchen. That is why you find relaxing spaces at the back. Also why folks turn formal living rooms to dining spaces, a more public area where you don't need cozy or privacy.

If you read a lot? A library concept could look lovely. A game room dedicated to family Monopoly and more... ?

Think it through before a furnishing investment: )

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    14 days ago

We need a to scale plan of the space I cannot imagine even a small sofa and 2 chairs in what I see. At the very least measurements but better to scale on graph paper posted here in jepg format all measurements clerly marked and openings amd where those lead.

• apple_pie_order
    14 days ago

Who is going to sit there? Two adults? Kids reading quietly?

The plantation shutters are perfect for the space. The broken one missing its vertical rod can be repaired by a local shutter company.

• Maureen
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Sitting/lounge area can mean different things, based on needs and how it is to be used. First thing is define all your needs (seating/entertaining/reading, etc) and that will help with furniture decisions and placement. Doing a floor plan before purchasing anything is recommended.

Without knowing your needs or style, here are complementary “looks” based on your rug, and two ways to enjoy the room (and include books on shelving).

• K M
    Original Author
    14 days ago

@maureen! I loveeee that!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

Be wary of what might become clutter....: ) Adapt as ?

• K M
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thank you everyone and love the suggestions ideas. There’s a bar in the next room over which then opens into the kitchen, so the kitchen is close. I love the idea of this room as a sitting/ lounge area so it’s next to the bar. I picture having a beverage with adults and playing game, cards and or dominos. The size of the room when I measure is about 11 feet 9” long by 11 feet 5” wide so that couch that Beverly suggested is perfect for the back wall where there’s no window.

• K M
    Original Author
    14 days ago

I just don’t want to spend thousands of dollars on a couch but need to find one similar that isn’t going to cost me and arm and leg.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    14 days ago

If you show the entire room and bar and note all dimensions and marl doorway to bar, or it is open to bar or whatever?

You don't buy without a plan, and a plan includes the info of feet and inches and openings

• K M
    Original Author
    13 days ago

It’s open no doorway

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    10 days ago

It looks like you’re using it as an office at this point, is that true? Do you need this space to be an office instead of a sitting room?