Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristi_2010

please help! need pics of wide hardwood flooring any species.

kristi_2010
14 years ago

I have to make a decision VERY soon, probably next week. I have looked at lots of floors, but am still not sure what to get. I love the wider planks and am also very fond of the hand scraped. I like a medium to dark stain with no red more brown look. PLEASE help with any pics.

Comments (3)

• uniquewoodfloors
    14 years ago

Here are two oak species. 5" plank, Solid design. I hope this is what your looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plank

• idrive65
    14 years ago

Antique oak, up to 11" wide, not handscraped, oil-based poly:

• llcp93
    14 years ago

I hope it is not too late in responding to you.
    We replaced our "cheap" engineered floors 4 years ago with a 5/8" engineered redoak over 9 layer base. It comes prefinished, but we chose the unfinished wood in order to finish on site.
    Some leveling had to be done, as some areas had been carpet. Then it was glued down. We had it hand scraped with the grain, then stained and finished. I had two colors mixed, as I did not want red, but wanted dark brown (the red oak and scraped areas will take the stain darker and lighter in areas)but not black.
    I really wanted the wider planks but just could not go the extra money with all the other out of pocket expenses we had.
    I went with 3 inch and really worried how it would look and if I would be happy.
    There is some sanding once installed and before staining. While nothing is 100% dustless, it was not bad. I was expecting worse. We have a son with severe allergies to air born allergens/dust mites, etc and he was fine. He as asthma as well (not allergy onset) and was never bothered. However, we did not live in the house during installation.
    I am happy to report that I still LOVE my floors every time I look at them. I had area rugs under the piano and coffee table, but they did not last long. Covered up too much of my beautiful floor.
    Recently, we had a hot water heater flood a hallway that was under water for about an hour. After all was said and done, not one millimeter of finish was damaged and not one board warped, cupped, popped, etc. Exellent installation is a key when installing any product.
    Good Luck
    Here are a couple of photos. Depending on the time of day, which lamps are on, and how much natural light is coming in, the floors can take on different hues of brown.

{{gwi:1519777}}
    {{gwi:1519776}}
    {{gwi:1519779}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Shamrock Flooring