Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgwyer

Dating my dresser

jgwyer
9 years ago

Anybody help with dating my dresser? It has been given to me and before I do anything to it I just want to make sure it is not got any value that I am going to ruin!

Comments (6)

• jgwyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It has thin dovetail joints and copper handles. It has three locks on the drawers and a little key! Not sure what else is relevant!

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

I would say it's approx. 1910 -- maybe a little older. So 100 years old, and it looks to be in good shape. The hardware is wonderful -- is it solid or plated? The wood is beautiful and the shape of the dresser is rather unusual, not run-of-the-mill.

I wouldn't do anything to it, except maintain it. Currently oak isn't very popular, but no doubt it will come back into style.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

if you look inside,under it or on the back, you might find the makers name. it'll be hard to see so take a flashlight. the dovetail joints in the pic. were adapted after the industrial revolution. so for furniture that'd place it post civil war. the problem is, is that i see marks that indicate hand made. (yes, i know, welcome to the guessing game.) but i agree with chibimimi. don't touch it . a little wood soap and wax maybe.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Looks like an Amish piece, possibly made by a family member or friend years ago??

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

Rather than Amish, I wonder if this isn't an English piece. The hardware and the style of the upper deck make me think it might be.

• User
    9 years ago

Don't paint it!!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz