Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayuppie

SEER Rating

ayuppie
11 years ago

My new home builder advertises a 16 SEER HE air conditioning system, but the compressor unit is a Lennox 14ACX. How do you get 16 SEER with this system???

Comments (5)

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

The Lennox 14ACX condenser can reach 16 SEER depending on the configuration and size, air handler/furnace, and evap coil, this according to AHRI authority.

I personally would not have this condenser. Don't know if the 16 SEER threshold is something you need to reach an energy credit or rebate. I would prefer the XC14, a much nicer condenser.

If you provide complete system details including compete model numbers of condenser, air handler, or furnace and evap coil, I will be glad to look up the performance/efficiency numbers.

IMO

• ayuppie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the response. New home (not a custom)construction. "Upgrade" costs are about double the retail cost difference. No possibility of getting "credit" for the standard unit then purchasing my own. I'll stick with the standard. Just was curious how they came up with the 16 Seer number. I don't have the info on the other parts of the system yet.
    thanks again

• countryboymo
    11 years ago

If it is not installed double the retail is crazy in my opinion to upgrade.

Tiger offers great advice.

• tigerdunes
    11 years ago

I am not saying the 14ACX is 16 Seer without knowing the complete details of size and total system. It could be as low as 14 SEER.

Be clear and make no mistake by what I have said, it is a low end builder grade model. I would not want it. Understand though the warranty and how the system s correctly registered.

IMO

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

Did you sign all the paperwork yet? You could try playing a little hardball and ask for a better price...Do you know what the actual upcharge would be? Maybe it's not as bad as you think. If you can find out maybe the guys here could advise if it's worth it if they knew the $$.

I was told by an hvac service guy that the builder buys all of the same units for a development so it ends up that some are properly sized and the small homes get oversized and the big ones get undersized. Actually, they may buy all the biggest size. His point was they buy one model to get the cheapest price. Could be true, and could be what's hurting you, because yours wouldn't get a quantity discount.

Our builder did offer a high eff furnace.In 1996 it cost us $800 to get a 91% furnace instead of the 78-80% that was standard. We replaced it at 17 years old. I think it was worth it...$50/year. I'm sure it saved us more than that!

Good luck in your new home.