Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmmeaux

Too many different floors give a house multiple personalities?

bmmeaux
16 years ago

We are in the process of building and I need to figure out my flooring. When you walk into the foyer the DR is on the right, the office is on the left, the powder room is in the foyer and the LR is straight on. All we know is that we want hardwood in the LR and carpet in the bedrooms. We are talking about concrete in the kitchen and mudroom.

So, my DH wants carpet in his office but I do not want carpet in the dining room (right across the hall) and I feel it should be cohesive. Should we go with concrete in O & DR or the hardwood floor? And should the foyer, DR, powder room and office be the same flooring (all attached to each other)?

It almost feels that three different floorings makes the house have multiple personalities and I am not sure what to do. Any help would be great! Thanks

Comments (4)

• mjsee
    16 years ago

Does DH's office have a door? If so, problem solved. Tell him to keep his door shut. Concrete in the kitchen, hardwood elsewhere? That I'm not too certain about...though, now that I think about it, I don't know how it would differ from having tile in the kitchen. I had wood kitchen floors in my first house...I miss them. A glass dropped on a wood floor stands a chance. On concrete? or tile? Not so much...

I don't think different flooring will give your house multiple personalities. Most houses have many different kinds of flooring.

• chiefneil
    16 years ago

I've got tons of different types of flooring. One type of hardwood running throughout the public spaces. Blond travertine in the foyer. Brown carpet inset in the wood in the family room. Orange travertine in the kitchen. More brown carpet in the den. The same style carpet but gray in two bedrooms, and same thing again but beige in the master. Different types of tile in every single bathroom. I love it, personally.

• rogerv_gw
    16 years ago

Everyone's taste is different, but we have 3 smallish rooms that flow into each other...one had vinyl (kitchen), and the other two had 2 different kinds/colors of carpet. We have now tiled all 3 rooms, and it is much easier on the eye. I don't know about multiple personalities, but having the continuity of the tile in adjoining rooms makes the whole combined space feel bigger and more unified. And less busy visually.

If the rooms in question aren't connected, then it doesn't seem like so much of an issue to me.

-Roger

• raehelen
    16 years ago

First of all, in my experience, most homes do have many different types of flooring. I am not an expert, and until we started our renovation process, hadn't even looked inside a show home for years. But, I do sense that there is definitely a trend towards more homogeneous flooring. I like the effect of having that 'flow' to your rooms, and I assume it would make an area appear more spacious. I think you are right, that multiple flooring gives a home multiple personalities, but that may be what you want- I know it was when I was younger, but now have decided to completely change that decorating style. If you have a large home, it can accommodate the variety better (each person's idea of what a 'large' home is may differ too! :>)

Having said that, I assume you have a door to your powder room, and perhaps one to your office? It is perfectly acceptable to have different flooring in those rooms, but I would choose something that carried the same colour tones and intensity.

I think the best thing to do is to talk to a few flooring experts (and when you walk into the store, or perhaps if you phone ahead) ask to speak to their resident expert- and don't just take the first person who grabs you as you walk through the door. Each person you go over this with will have valid points and good suggestions. I would take lots of pics of your house and rooms, so they know what you are visualizing. The more you talk this through, the better chance that you will figure out what the best solution is. After all, the flooring is something you will live with for a long time, and is not feasible to change if you're unhappy with the choices.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths