Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ks_chicago

Ceiling Saver Kit

KS_Chicago
10 years ago

Hello. We had an HVAC guy come over for an annual checkup and he recommended that we install "Ceiling Saver Kits" on each of our HVAC systems (we have a dual zone, so two of them). He would charge around $250 for each, so $500 total. I googled what a ceiling saver kit is and it sounds somewhat vague. Is he just looking to get some extra money from us or is this legit? The additional info is that we have 90% efficiency HVAC systems and they are 7 years old with at least 7 more years if life left in them.

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• mike_home
    10 years ago

Are the air handlers located in the attic? If they are then there is always the potential that a clogged drain could cause the condensate pan to overflow and damage the ceiling.

Did the tech explain what he would install? Usually a device is installed to tech if the water level in the pan. If the water level becomes too high it will shut down the air handler.

If you are spending money every year of an annual check up, then I assume the condensate drain is cleaned each time. This is something you can do yourself a few times a year. If the drain is kept clear then you can save yourself $500.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

float switch?
    every pan should have one.

trane loves to sell add on's the techs
    are trained/encouraged to sell them.

pan pills...no
    but float switch..yes.
    shuts down the system if water in pan
    reaches switch float.

$500 is nothing compared to repair
    of ceiling when/if pan overflows.
    make sure all insulation is cleaned out
    of pan (& pan for water heater) or it will clog
    drain.

best of luck.

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi again. I did some more research... Is it the same thing as "Condensate Drain Pan Overflow" that can be bought on Amazon for $15? It looks pretty easy to install and I would definitely prefer to save $500, but wanted to check if we are talking about the same thing.

Thank you in advance.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

dunno... can you link your amazon find?

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, here it is

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000JGH2TM

I am also showing a picture.

Thank you so much!

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

looks similar. several on the market.
    can you hook it up yourself so that it
    shuts off the unit when water in pan level rises?

• KS_Chicago
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol! No. So that is the next question - how do you do it? Does anyone know if it is easy, can I hire a handy man I do it? It is just paying $500 is so much...

• User
    10 years ago

For the Op, not having an A/C attic installation I assumed Ceiling Saver meant the pan under the attic equipment that would collect any condensation.

After seeing the replies here, I googled Ceiling Saver Kit and most of the hit I got were talking about that pan and associated drains and traps and possibly shutoffs, etc.

Does your existing installation have existing pans to collect water/condensation that drips off your equipment? If so, does it have existing traps and pipes to drain the water off somewhere?