Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Your Favorite Summer Foods?

lynninnewmexico
13 years ago

Last night at dinner, DD commented on how often I've served Caprese lately (fresh sliced garden tomatoes and sliced discs of fresh mozzarella, topped with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh basil). I hadn't thought much about it, but I absolutely LOVE this Summer dish, which isn't nearly as good mid-Winter, when the tomatoes aren't garden fresh.

{{gwi:1431681}}

I've also been making blueberry pancakes a lot on the weekends, with big, fat fresh blueberries. Topped with a bit of maple syrup, they just say "Summer morning" to me.

Other "Summer" foods to me: BLT's, watermelon, nectarines.

So, how about you? What foods epitomize "Summer" to you?

Lynn

Comments (9)

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Hmmmm, not so much certain dishes as foods like all the fresh produce. We enjoy our garden and I guess in particular would be tomatoes, cukes and cantaloupe. I do make a salad often in the summer which is tomatoes, cukes, purple onion with a bit of olive oil or italian dressing, sprinkled with parmesan.

Home made ice cream is more of a summer tradition for us, so I would consider it a favorite also.

We grill year round, but grilling fresh corn and other veggies is summer for me too.

tina

• natal
    13 years ago

Lynn, yum! I love a Caprese salad.

Top of the list would be Sun Gold cherry tomatoes. We eat a lot of fresh sauces during harvest. And this year even though most of my tomato harvest ended early the Sun Golds hung in there and have been producing again for the past 3 weeks. At this time of year that's unheard of!

Other favorites are local blueberries, peaches, & fresh corn ... and great prices on raspberries and mangoes even though they're not local.

Also loving the fresh crop of poblanos at the produce stand right now.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tina, I know what you mean, we grill year-round here, too. Haven't done any grilled corn this season, but it sounds delicious. Thanks for the idea!

Natal: you all grow poblanos down there?!? Yumm! Our green chile season starts soon, which is when I'll start making Chile Rellenos again. Didn't I read someplace here that you're stuffing your poblanos, relleno-style?

• natal
    13 years ago

Lynn, don't know whether these are locally grown or not, but they sure are beauties and cheap at $1.39/lb.!

I've been stuffing the peppers with cheese and baking just long enough for it to melt then topping with mango salsa or fresh tomato sauce. Do you have any poblano recipes that don't require frying the peppers?

• pugga
    13 years ago

I was just saying to a friend that I think August is my favorite food month.

Top on my list is fresh sweet corn, tomatoes (just got some from a co-worker's garden) and melon.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Charcoal grilled foods! Salmon & pineapple, assorted veggies, onions, burgers. Yum. Also love fresh seasonal fruit from the farmer's market.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Tomato sandwiches.

• housewitch
    13 years ago

We love all the fresh local produce - watermelon, tomatoes, asparagus, green beans, sweet corn, squash, berries, peaches, and on and on - and tend to prepare it very simply so as to get all that fresh goodness. DH loves tomato sandwiches. I use tons of Vidalia onions in everything. We have sweet corn with just a bit of butter and salt several times a week for as long as it lasts. We eat lots of fresh fruit, pies, and cobblers. Our neighbors have been sending over tons of eggplant, okra and zuchinni that I've been sauteing lightly in olive oil or roasting until just tender.

But if I had to pick my absolute hands-down favorite, only in summer, can't make it any other time of year, food it would have to be homemade peach ice cream. My great-grandmother's custard ice cream base, fresh tree-ripened peaches peeled and cut while the custard is cooking, hand cranked in a zillion year old ice cream churn, eaten sitting out on the porch in the shade with a crowd of family and friends.

• Meghane
    13 years ago

Maryland steamed crabs with Silver Queen corn.