Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tombijak_gw

Hole In Cast Iron Radiator

tombijak
15 years ago

I did a big flub and drilled a hole in a client's C.I. Radiator. The water damage now controlled and pipes capped by plumber, but need a solution to repair the 60 year old radiator. Worse case scenario is I buy new radiator to replace, but client wants old one fixed because it matches other rads. in house.

There is a hole in the radiator about 3/8" diameter right in the center of a fin. I don't want to try something like J.B. Weld in case it failed-- water would damage a lot as on second floor.

Questions: Can parts be found to repair such an old radiator? I could take out the damaged section and shorten the radiator-- no problem as we could trim out the area around the radiator and move the supply pipes to line up. I don't know if I can find the right size nipples or whatever they're called to put the radiator back together.

I live in the Washington, DC area. Any suggestions appreciated.

Tom

Comments (7)

• lbpod
    15 years ago

Cast iron can easily be brazed, but the
    area to be brazed needs to be 'extremely'
    clean. Also, a slow cool down is important
    to prevent cracking.

• bhrost
    15 years ago

I've heard it's a pretty tough and often unsuccessful job getting radiator sections apart. There is one company that still supplies push nipples though. If you post a question on heatinghelp.com you might get some more complete info, there are a lot of heating pros there.

I wonder if you just couldn't try threading the hole and getting a plug that would fit?

• tk03
    15 years ago

Until you know what size nipple the radiator needs it may be hard to locate one. Some were 1" and some were 3/4". Burnham Hydronics still sell Cast Iron radiation but it may not look like what is there, They have column type, tube type, radiant type and classic rad types.
    See link
    http://www.burnham.com/radiant_products.htm

• kframe19
    15 years ago

I'm not even going to ask why or how you drilled a hole in a cast iron radiator...

I've used JB Weld to successfully and permanently fix cracks in radiators, both hot water and steam, but nothing quite so dramatic as a 3/8" diameter hole.

Your best bet, I would think, would be a mechanical plug.

Go to a heating supply store that handles goodies for radiator systems and see if they have tapered plugs used to cap holes in radiators that have been either moved or renovated or converted from steam to hot water or vice versa.

My guess is that you're going to find something that will work.

You'll have to ream a tapered hole to match the plug and then tap threads into it.

All in all a pain in the butt, but a LOT easier than trying to braze it.

• zl700
    15 years ago

Yes and use hardening pipe thread sealant on the threads of the plug (recessed with allen head work well)

• Paul Muller
    last year
    last modified: last year

I am reviving this old thread because it is spot on topic for me. I had my old rads sandblasted and painted at a body shop. One of them came back with a hole in a fin. Hole is irregular in shape, approx 1/4 x 3/8 inch. Hole is located on the inside of a fin, so I would be unable to bore perpendicular into it to get it to a round shape, in order to prepare hole for a round plug. Am considering the JB Weld option, but perhaps hole is too large for their product. Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.