Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimbersmom_gw

Experience with Quick Step?

kimbersmom
14 years ago

I'm considering using Quick Step Quadra (probably the California Gold) in our kitchen. A search in this forum didn't show any existing feedback about this flooring. Anyone have experience with this product? TIA!

Comments (6)

• jerry_t
    14 years ago

I've installed it twice before. No problems or issues.

• kimbersmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Jerry T. Anyone have reports from the consumer side? How does it hold up? Any problems with warping/buckling or squeaking?

• dannie
    14 years ago

We have the Quick Step Quadra in our family room in the basement. We put it on top of something called Dri-Core to keep it off the cement floor. On top of the Dri-Core we put the recommended underlayment and it feels nice and solid with no squeaking. I thought about putting it in our kitchen because I really liked the looks of it, however, if you leave water on it, the edge will buckle up. There is one spot by our wet bar where water had been sitting and I didn't notice it until the next day. The edge has a definite lump that you can see if the light is right and you can feel it with your fingers. I have multiple pets (a bit of a zoo actually) and there is always water being spilled in our kitchen so the Quick-Step was not an option. I chose to go with a high end laminate that mimics pavers.
    As to installation of the Quick-Step, we had a friend who does floors install it and he did a great job. No issues really except for the multiple angle cuts that had to be done. If it hadn't been for all the angles in the room, my hubby would have done it himself.
    Aside from the one spot where it is slightly lifted, it hasn't scratched at all. Other cons of it is that you need to be careful in the installation as corners can chip, it does show paw prints and cleaning it needs to be done with the same stuff I use on my hardwood (spray on product and a terry cloth cover on the mop).
    The upside is that it looks really good and despite the negatives, I don't regret putting it in the family room.

• kimbersmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, dannie! Do you remember what product you used in the kitchen? Husband and I agree that tile would look best in our kitchen, but I can't stand the coldness and hardness of it. We've been looking at lots and lots of laminates, so any recommendations is appreciated!

• janewagner
    14 years ago

We installed Quick-Step in our kitchen removing laminate 4 1/2 years ago and could not be happier. Cleaning is done with Swiffer Wet and it is not wearing at all in this high-traffic large area, no scratches, buckling, or dents, etc. My decorator friend who installs lots of commercial flooring said they were first to fine-tune the interlocking system and she recommended this brand over others.

• dannie
    14 years ago

Sorry, that should have been a high end vinyl, not laminate. I haven't come across any laminate that I was truly comfortable in installing in a kitchen. I hear that you can buy laminate with sealed edges but I haven't found any. The vinyl is Mannington's Naturals Pompeii in Fresco.