Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunglogrl

Bunglogrl's Green and Marble Kitchen

bunglogrl
17 years ago

A coworker directed me to this Forum when I first started planning this project and I know my kitchen is better for it.

The goal was to create a bright, cheerful space, with modern conveniences that dont look out of place in our humble little 1923 house. We didnÂt need to change the layout much and IÂm pleased with how it turned out. My favorite find  glass knobs that look just like all the doorknobs in the house!

We started demolition on March 29th and the electrician finished the trim out on May 29th. We procrastinated on window coverings, knobs -- and I still haven't gotten around to installing trim over the dishwasher or buying new rugs.

Thank you all so much for coaching me through our mostly DIY project. Thanks especially to those whose ideas I copied - er drew inspiration from!

Details:

Cabinets  QS red oak

Lights  HD

Counter  honed Carrara Marble

Range & Hood  Frigidaire

Sink & Faucet  Rohl

DW Â LG

Fridge  Samsung

Floor  site finished red oak

Knobs & Pulls  fluted clear glass from Houseofantiquehardware.com

Backsplash - Rittenhouse Square by DalTile in arctic white

Paint  EK Peridot, Behr Princess Ivory, Behr bright white

Stain (old table plus chairs) Â General Finishes Royal Blue

Comments (25)

• sedeno77
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You did a great job - I like your choice of colors -looks like a very happy home!

• basketchick
    17 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Love the colors. What is EK paint? I'm assuming that is the green color. I love that!

Marie

• bunglogrl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yvette - thanks. It's much happier now that the drywall dust is gone.

Marie - EK=Ellen Kennon is a brand of paint I learned about on this forum. I fell in love with the Peridot sample I ordered but the local paint stores couldn't achieve an exact match with that blue undertone. According to her website the beautiful colors are "full spectrum" with more pigment? Looks green to me.

• robin_d
    17 years ago

FABULOUS!!! It really suits your house style - old fashioned and absolutely charming. I especially love your cabinets!

• CaroleOH
    17 years ago

Wow, what a change. Love the colors, cabinets and the white appliances with the wood.

Congrats on your new kitchen!

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

LOVE both the before AND after kitchens! The Peridot paint looks fabulous with your oak!

Farm sink looks great as do the pendants! You did a great job.

• bunglogrl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

robin - I wish I'd seen your kitchen before I planned mine. My sis' doesn't know it yet, but she will have plate rails when I *help* her remodel her kitchen!

caroleoh - Thanks. It's amazing what a difference removing that skinny peninsula made.

msafirstein - BEFORE?! Girl, step away from the paint fumes. *kidding*
    Actually I did mourn my old kitchen for several months before we started demo - but I don't miss the tile counters and my new drawers actually open!

• snagd
    17 years ago

Beautiful! Its so charming and cozy. I love the shades! Can you share where you got them? I was also wondering how you like your slide out vent. I have one but its not installed yet. You did a great job!

• starpooh
    17 years ago

Wow! What a transformation! I love the combination of the qs oak with the white marble and the peridot wall. Beautiful! And I can't believe you fit a desk into such a small kitchen. Nice planning!

Did you have a local cabinetmaker build your cabinets? The cutout for your apron sink is perfect!

• natesgramma
    17 years ago

I remember seeing your kitchen several months ago. I can't believe the transformation. I spent quite a while going forward/backwards on you album. I kept saying to DH, "look at this change!!!" and he was impressed too. Love how much more room there is without the peninsula, beautiful cabinets, sink, shades, everything. You must be tickled pink!

• maritimecape
    17 years ago

A fabulous job! It must be a pleasure to work in.

Colleen

• joanneva12a
    17 years ago

I love your kitchen it looks so happy and you must be too!

• girlwithaspirin
    17 years ago

I came over here to see your so-called kid's art project backsplash. Ha! It's gorgeous, completely perfection... as is your whole kitchen. If that were mine, I'd be grinning from ear to ear every time I walked in. It's a wonderful room.

• jennybeth
    17 years ago

Beautiful job! I really love the faucet and sink you've chosen. Have fun using your new kitchen!

• bunglogrl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the kind words. I got an email about the counter and now I can't find it. The marble is 3cm, the edge treatment is called *eased* -- it was the free one.

snagd - the shades are from CountryCurtains.com . Love the slide-out hood but it's very noisy on the highest setting. It may be just a matter of me getting used to it since we had the fan-in-the-ceiling-with-string model before. If it still bugs me in a few months DH says he'll do something up there to dampen the sound. He is such a prize.

Starpooh - Did I get the Peridot jones from you? I discovered it on this site, but can't remember which kitchen. The cabinetmaker picked up my sink and took it to his shop to build the base around it. He really did do a good job but I'm still mad at him for taking SEVEN months to finish. He kept pushing my little job to the back of his shop and tossing me little freebies to shut me up for a few weeks. I do love the full-extension with blumotion - but he could've kept the cutsey feet. Oh, and the desk area was also his suggestion. I'd planned a dough counter right under the window, he thought this would look better and he was right. I have a huge pantry and a big built-in hutch in the dining room so storage wasn't really an issue. That cabinet is empty (so far) except for one shelf full of cookbooks. I predict I'll use that low counter for rolling dough more often than surfing the web -- we'll see.

natesgramma - I can't believe you can actually get your DH to look at this site. Mine rolls his eyes if I even mention my Kitchen Forum Friends! Getting rid of the peninsula made a big difference.

girlwithaspirin - I was very careful about which section of art project to post. LOL. Thanks for compliment! Yes it's fun cooking AND cleaning in here.

• liz_h
    17 years ago

Wonderful!

• adpi4
    17 years ago

oooh boy... From the quartersawn oak cabs (my favorite), shades and paint color,,, everything is great! I think your farm sink cabinet is one of the best I have seen. I remember your posting early on asking something about the windows. I remember the odd wall "decoration" or "separation" or whatever that odd shaped thing was. SO LONG! Your kitchen in so warm and inviting! Your sister is lucky if she has you to guide her along her kitchen renno!

• chrystyne731
    17 years ago

Beautiful! I love the sink & faucet. Everything looks great!

• tntwalter
    17 years ago

It is timeless and very comfortable.
    Trish

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Hi bunglogrl,

I'm having fun looking at your kitchen! Can I ask a few questions:

How wide is your trash pullout? Do you operate it with the handle, or toe pedal? If handle, is that hard to work when you are cooking, and your hands are gooky?

Your cabinetmaker did a nice job with the scribing on the sink collar. Was he experienced with the Shaw's sink? And was your sink as irregular as I keep hearing they are (with the 4 corners at different heights, for example)? Is the sink pretty level?

I want to do the Shaw's, but without any scribing...Just sitting on a flat base. But those rounded corners! I think those might leave awfully big gaps (for my boys to hide things in).

Thanks!
    Francy

• debsinthepink
    16 years ago

bunglogrl, how is your Carrara Marble holding up? Any chipping or staining? I sure love your cabinets and counters! debs

• bunglogrl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Debs.
    I'm still in love with my counters. No chips yet. I did get a nasty red stain when I left a red gift basket sitting in the same spot for two weeks. I was able to get it out with a stain remover paste from Home Depot. I also dripped green food coloring on it when I made Christmas cookies this year. That stain disappeared by itself - before I ever got around to using the paste. I'm not sure if it migrated deeper into the stone, or if DH used bleach or something on it, but it has vanished. Now that I know any stains can be easily removed, I'll probably never reseal it, LOL. I do have quite a few etch marks on both sides of the stove, where I do most of my prep work. If the etching doesn't bother you - you'll love marble!

• lizg_inmd
    15 years ago

Hi Bunglogrl,

I don't know if you still check in, but I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask a question. I am in the midst of a kitchen remodel and am strongly leaning toward marble countertops. Can you tell me what the stain remover paste was, how it is applied, and whether you have had to do anything else to preserve the marble over the years? Does it still look good? I'm not sure exactly what etching marks look like, is it a lighter area? I'm not sure what to expect with that. If it just looks "patina'd" that wouldn't bother me. Thanks for any responses,

Liz

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

bunglogrl, are you still out there?? I saw the picture of your kitchen. I need to know which cupboards those are and the sink/faucet, too. That is exactly what I am looking for.

This is the only info I could find for you. The link to kitchen pages is not working.
    bunglogrl #65

http://finishedkitchensslideshow.blogspot.com/

pageloads since 01/19/06