Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
centraljerseyguy

Carrier Performance AC & Carrier Infinity Furnace Pricing

centraljerseyguy
17 years ago

Hey Folks,

I live in Central NJ and need to replace an old Central AC / Gas Furnace. I live in a 3,800 sq ft house with two zones. The upstairs unit needs to be replaced. The current unit is a 2.5 Ton York AC and a 80,000 BTU (80% eff. AC).

I just got a quote today for the following:

1) Carrier Performance 15.5 SEER 3 ton unit (24APA536)

2) Carrier Infinity 80 Furnace 88,000 BTU 80% efficiency (58CVA090-116)

3) Carrier Coil (CAPMP)

In addition to the standard equipment warranty it also includes 5 years total Parts & Labor for all components.

Total Cost is $5,600.

I qualify for a $350 rebate from Carrier and a $400 rebate from my utility for the AC reducing my total cost to $4,850.

I was told that moving up to the Infinity 96 Furnace and the Infinity line of AC would not be cost effective. The added cost would take over 10 years to payback in terms of added savings.

I have a few questions:

1) Is this a fair price for this equipment?

2) Is this a good system?

3) How much more does the Infinity 17 or Infinity 21 cost than the Performance 15 unit at the 3 ton size?

4) How much more would the Infinity 96 furnace cost above and beyond the Infinity 80?

5) What would you do in my place?

Comments (21)

• georgehvacnj
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

thats a fair prce i work out of nj and for carrier i wouldnt go any lower then that

• centraljerseyguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks georgehvacnj.

I have one more question to add to my original post. I currently have Honeywell Thermostats that are digital, 7 day programmable. Would their be an advantage in upgrading those to the Carrier Infinity controllers with the above speced system?

• scott2006
    17 years ago

Keep in mind with an up-grade of the 96% and 16 seer, you would get the 500$ tax credit also. See if you can get them down on the more efficant model. Fuel prices are just going UPPPPP.

Scott

• georgehvacnj
    17 years ago

personally i think you will do fine, only possible advantage is if it controls the humidity..............
    where are you from in NJ

• centraljerseyguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am in Marlboro (Monmouth County).

I have Aprilaire humidifiers installed in the existing system which are less than 5 years old. We are keeping them. I don't think the Infinity control can necessarily control the humidity on these. Currently the way they work is if the heat goes on so does the humidifier.

If my calculations are right I would qualify for an additional $300 rebate from utility for the more efficient furnace plus an additional $150 tax credit. I am not sure if there would be any additional rebates from Carrier.

• dallasbill
    17 years ago

The Infinity Control will give 'cool to dehumidify' feature when in cooling mode. It's an excellent control. Go for it!

• centraljerseyguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Will this "cool to dehumidify" feature work with the Carrier Performance AC paired to a Carrier Infinity Furnace / Blower?

• centraljerseyguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How much should I expect to pay for the Infinity Thermostat? And how much extra for the temprature probe?

I decided to go with the contractor that provided me the above quote. However, I had him upgrade to the Infinity 96 furnace for an additional $1,350. By doing so I qualify for the following incentives: Additional Carrier Rebate = $100, Utility Rebate = $400, Additional Tax Credit = $200 for a net additional out of pocket of $650. I suspect I will see a payback of 4 years under current gas rates.

They are scheduled to install on Thursday. Thank you all for the advise you have provided so far. It has been extremely valuable and I am grateful.

• dallasbill
    17 years ago

The Infinity runs about 350-375. Worth every cent. I do not remember the temp. probe, but there's a small amount of labor depending on how they have to route the wire for the probe from the furnace to an outside location.

• dallasbill
    17 years ago

Cool to dehumidify operation:

No, it's not the same as the VisionPro. They can both overcool up to three degrees. Everything else is different, though.

-The VP just overcools until it hits the RH setpoint. Infinity looks at the temp and humidity together and just aims for comfort. For example, if you're already two degrees below the temperature setpoint, being 2% over the RH setpoint feels fine, and it won't try to control that. I believe the logic of this tradeoff is that for each degree of overcooling, the internal (not shown to customer) RH setpoint raises by 2%. Also the amount of overcooling allowed tapers off at lower room temperatures; at a cooling setpoint of 70, no overcooling is allowed.

-The VP does not adjust blower speed *at all*. If it wants to dehumidify, it just runs plain old cooling mode until the RH setpoint is reached or the three degree limit is reached. The Infinity control is in direct digital communication with the furnace/air handler, and apparently picks a blower speed on the fly based on conditions. I have seen them run at the following CFM/ton rates: 275, 300, 325, 350, 375, 400. It may be that under some conditions they'll do 425 and 450, but you'll have to ask somebody in a drier climate about that- won't happen in Georgia. The ability to run at much lower than normal CFM/ton rates improves the amount of dehumidification relative to the amount of cooling, which does reduce the amount of overcooling that is required in the first place. While the equipment is running, it's taking care of cooling and dehumidification all at once.

How does the Infinity system keep from freezing up? Well, keep in mind that it only works with certain Carrier equipment. They know how low they can go before a freeze-up might happen. That would be tough for a third party control manufacturer to match without a sensor, because Honeywell has no idea whose equipment you're trying to control with their VisionPro. The newest Infinity equipment does have some logic to watch for a possible freeze-up, though, by watching for the change in blower operation that would happen if the coil iced over. I don't think I've ever heard of the early systems icing up, though, so clearly they know what they can get away with.

Also if you are running a low CFM/ton rate on an Infinity system, the reason you're running like that in the first place is that there is a lot of humidity to remove. Under those conditions, the coil isn't going to get unusually cold anyway, because all of the cooling is going to be going into condensing water out of the air onto the coil. Where you get into trouble with low airflow is more when the airflow is unnecessarily low- that's what gets you a coil that gets too cold and ices up.

The operation of the overcooling function does not show up on the display, though. If the setpoint is 76 and it needs to overcool for dehumidification, the setpoint will keep saying 76, but you may find that the actual temperature on the display is 74 (two degrees under setpoint) and the compressor is running anyway. If the setpoint was below what you had programmed, that's going to be because it was preparing for the next programmed period. Remember that with an Infinity system the times and temperatures you program are for when you want it to *achieve* the programmed temperature, not when you want it to start trying to get there.

• centralpahvac_gmail_com
    16 years ago

centraljerseyguy originally wrote:

I just got a quote today for the following:
    1) Carrier Performance 15.5 SEER 3 ton unit (24APA536)
    2) Carrier Infinity 80 Furnace 88,000 BTU 80% efficiency (58CVA090-116)
    3) Carrier Coil (CAPMP)
    Total Cost is $5,600

Later he added:
    upgrade to the Infinity 96 furnace for an additional $1,350

So his Total Estimate is about $6,950.

I live in Central PA and just received a quote for the same A/C (24APA536) with CNPVP3617 coil for $4,625 plus Infinity 96% furnace (58MVB080114) for $5,898 for total of $10,523! WhatÂs causing the over $3k difference?!

• soigne
    16 years ago

Wow. I feel like a total sucker now.

I have 2 estimates for Carrier equipment, each from a Northern NJ contractor:

Estimate 1:
    AC 2.5 Ton 15 SEER 24APA530
    Coil CNPVP3017ATA
    Furnace 70kBTU/80% 58CVA070-14
    Honeywell Vision Pro Thermostat
    Honeywell HE-265 Humidifier
    Aprilaire 2200 air filter
    Replace chimney liner
    $10,347

Estimate 2
    Same ac
    Same coil
    Same furnace
    Replace chimney liner
    Thermostat unknown
    no filter
    no humidifier
    $10,056

Estimate 3 (Lennox)
    AC: 2.5 ton 13 SEER (Variable Speed)
    Coil: C33-31
    Furnace: 90k BTU 80% AFUE
    Thermo: Honeywell PRO 4000
    Aprilaire 400 Humidifier
    Chimney liner replacement
    $9,610

These include installation into existing forced hot air duct system.

• dallasbill
    16 years ago

Wow... sounds high!

This was 2 yrs ago now, but for our 3000 sq ft 1.5 story ICF home we got 2 Carrier Infinity 80% 64k BTU VS furnaces, 2 Performance 13 SEER a/c w/TXV and external temp probes, 2 Infinity Controllers, duct install and manual damper balancing box on 1 unit, and 4 4in filters for 11k total installed. That included 1 yr free call-backs for balancing and the 1000 Carrier rebate at that time. We have been living in peace ever since. HIGHEST bill last August in middle of 4 month heat wave was 310 bucks!

And no, Bob was not involved.

• dallasbill
    16 years ago

BTW, the a/c were 3 tons each, w/matching coils inside.

• am2008
    16 years ago

Hi CentralJerseyGuy! Thanks for your post. Can you please share where you received quote? I have had a few for the identical system for my townhouse, but they are between $7800 to $8450. :( Would like to have your guys do an estimate also!

Thanks,
    Aimee

• kim2_gardener
    13 years ago

I am replacing my old furnace. I don't have an idea about the heating system. I did a lot of research, I am glad to find this site. I had a contractor came to the house to give an estimate. I signed a contract for Energi Air System furnace. From what the sale person said, this is the best one. I couldn't find any review about this furnace, but from their website, it seems like they have very good guarantee. Please let me know if you have some advice. I checked the company, they gave A+ from BBB, in the last 36 months, they have 1 complain.

Thank you.

• wsweet1805_msn_com
    13 years ago

looking to replace my old unit with a carrier infinity system,,singge story ranch style house 2200 sq feet. In southern calif.. anybody know what a decent price would be?

• vejvoda_verizon_net
    13 years ago

We just got a quote for:
    Carrier outdoor air conditioner unit
    CNPV 3117
    Carrier Infinity Furnace & thermostat
    Heat Pump
    Permit
    Total: $7625
    qualifies for the $1500 federal tax rebate

Too good to be true? We are in Northern VA.

• jwvs1022
    9 years ago

Irenev

• jwvs1022
    9 years ago

with 21 Seer 2 stage Puron 4 ton ACfor $21$21,600,000 this seems VERY high; any suggestions?