Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yborgal

knee update

yborgal
13 years ago

Mitch, thanks for asking about the status of my knee replacement. I'm 9 weeks post-op now.

The knee feels as though its been with me since birth, not artificial at all. I have no pain. In fact, I'm embarrased to say I never had any post-op pain at all, perhaps just a slight discomfort at the most. I've walked without a cane or walker since week the 4th post-op week.

It's almost back to full use and certainly much better than before surgery. I'm scheduled for the other replacement on 9/29. I just hope I'm as fortunate with the results of that surgery as I was with the first.

Actually, if my surgeon didn't have a policy insisting on a 3 month waiting period between surgeries I would have scheduled the next surgery for 2-3 weeks ago.

There is no explanation for the fact I had no pain. My surgeon did nothing different and his other patients hurt...a lot! My physical therapist was very surprised that pushing me during my therapy sessions produced only discomfort and not pain.

I'm just praying I have the same results the next time.

Comments (13)

• polly929
    13 years ago

You are so lucky. I had a knee replacement at age 30 not related to arthritis, and I would take childbirth without medication over the pain I had from that surgery. I will definitely need another replacement since I was so young when I had it, just hoping I can get to 15 years.

Good luck on the 29th. I hope you get the same results next time.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Mona; glad to read you're doing well. You could have a high tolerance for pain. I hope #2 goes as smooth with healing.

• jay06
    13 years ago

Glad to hear it was a success and hope the next surgery also goes smoothly.

• golddust
    13 years ago

It's so great to hear about surgeries done well. I have a bum knee and shoulder and you give me hope. I hope the next surgery goes just like your first one.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Glad to hear the update. I'm still working on getting mine done, probably next year, but for now it's holding out ok. Either that or I'm just used to the extreme pain and the pain killers have numbed me.

Best of luck on the other one!

• User
    13 years ago

I'm so glad you had an good recovery. I hope the next one goes just as smooth!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

I had been wondering. Glad to hear it. I imagine your other will be similar. There are a lot of pansies out there about pain. everyone has a different tolerance.

• les917
    13 years ago

Sounds like you are having a great recovery. My ortho requires a minimum of 4 months between surgeries, and prefers 6.

I should be having my knees done now, but that isnÂt feasible. You are giving me lots of positive things to think about when I do, tho! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Mona, that's great! Hopefully you'll be fully recovered by the holidays.

I have a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder and I'm going to wait until the last minute to fix it. Right now I just don't move the arm in a certain direction and I can live with that.

And then I have arthritis in my thumb.... lol

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Fantastic news, Mona. I am so glad it was easy. I have no doubt the second will be a breeze as well! Hold those good thoughts!

• texanjana
    13 years ago

That is great news, Mona.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

Thanks for chiming in, I'm so glad it went so well .

• zshopper
    13 years ago

Glad to hear that you are feeling well after your knee replacement surgery. I was wondering how you were doing. My husband needs a replacement and maybe January he might do so. I cant believe it has been 9 weeks! Take care and happy you are feeling great.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm