Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serawyn

I'm at my wits end. I just want to kill someone!!!

serawyn
13 years ago

I know I don't post much and I haven't contributed much, but I've enjoyed reading the posts here. Plus whenever I come across a member's post about how frustrating it is to remodel, I commiserate and actually feel a *tiny* bit better about my situation. Maybe my post will help someone feel better about their remodel too.

Backstory: We started our renovation back in September. We added 750 sq. feet to our house so mind you, it's not a small project. We gutted our entire kitchen, expanded our living room, built a small library, added a laundry and second bathroom. At first, the project went by super fast. The foundation, framing and roof took less than one month. We were amazed at the work. This was with a construction company that's been around for 30 years so they are not a one man job kindda team. They know what they're doing.....or so it seems!

When they moved into our kitchen, their biggest flaw was cabinet installation. We had spent MAJOR bucks on our cabinets and expected them to be installed professionally. Well, let's just say the person who "does all the main installation" for this company is an idiot. He put 5 one inch screws into one of the upper cabinets (with see through glass mind you). The reason he put in 5 screws was because he could not find the stud. *falls to the ground*

Anyway, since the kitchen remodel incident, we've talked to the owner and things have just gone downhill. He was so proud of his work prior to this and everything to him was quality, quality, quality. However, we have not seen the fine details and quality work that he's been promising! He did hire a subcontractor to do the rest of the installation, but this guy shows up when he wants to. We've had to call him every other day and he would show up to work for no more than one hour each week. That's fine, but it's been 3 months! Sure, the kitchen looks functional, but it's nowhere near completion. The moldings are not in place. The cabinets still have to be filled and retouched. The glass needs to be put on the upper cabinet doors...the list goes on and on.

This is not even mentioning the rest of the house. Major work is done, but the things like, door trims, baseboards, lights, appliances hook up, etc. are not done at all. I am at my wits end. One of the recess light is dangling in the middle of my hallway and would hit my husband's head EVERY time he walks by at night. It's such a hazard and I thank God we do not have children. The amount of nails and junk lying around is enough to make me sick just thinking about it!

This is supposedly a great company. Our friend used them and even though we've talked to her about our problems, she STILL wants to use them for her house remodel next month. I mean, I don't get it. What is wrong with contractors? Do they not care about finishing the job and doing it right?

My husband speculates that this company completely underestimated our project. Since they were looking for jobs, they probably took our job which was much lower than other bids we've seen! But is that our problem? They were the one who told us they'd do the work. :(

We still have $5k to pay them during the final walk through, but I just want to give it to them and kick them out of my house! since December, husband has been doing a lot of the work himself whenever he can. He's started to put in the hardwood flooring and buying trims so that he could just see a completed house. Bless his heart, but we are paying these guys to do this. I don't understand why they are just not showing up anymore.

Our built in microwave is broken because the person who installed it jammed the cord so much it bent. Now it's built in and grouted to our tiles so the tiles will have to be removed, installations around the microwave needs to be removed..... yikes!

Did I say I want to kill someone???

Thank you so much for letting me vent. I'm so incredibly fed up and sad. I want my life back.

Comments (10)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, and here I was feeling sorry for myself and my own slow progress. I'm sorry you're going through this. It's too late for me to offer any words of wisdom so I'm sending my sympathy. I'm off to bed. Good luck!

• powertoolpatriot
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems! Remodels are one of the most stressful things you can go thru. I have done many and there are always something that will jump up and bite you! Just have to put your head down and be determined to slog thru it. Focus on what the finished product will be!

As far as the contractor goes, my guess is he had more luctrative jobs come up and he is sending his help there. If is a company and he hired a sub to finish your cabinet install, I'd almost bet on it!
    If it were I, I would send him a note saying he has such and such a time to finish up the job or you will find someone else and deduct the cost from his final payment. I would also bill him for the issue with the microwave.
    He needs to know that you will give him a bad reference if the job is not finished to your satisfaction. Including contacting the BBB and any builders association in the area.
    I have never treated a client in this manner and I am appalled at the number of complaints about contractors in the Home forum. Let me assure you not all contractors are this negligent!
    Good luck with your project!

• txpepper
    13 years ago

It sounds as if $5K withholding is enough to pay some trim carpenters to come in and finish up your job. I positively would not pay your GC for work not done.

Have you gotten any lien releases yet? Does your contract have any escape clauses for you to exercise?

Instead of 'killing' someone, it sounds like you need to knock some sense into your neighbor. :-P

Pepper
    ~ Patiently waiting on cabs to be finished.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

We still have $5k to pay them during the final walk through, but I just want to give it to them and kick them out of my house!

Under no circumstances. Fire him and use someone else to complete the work. You are now at the stage where you can hire individual trades (carpenter, electrician) yourself.

Our friend used them and even though we've talked to her about our problems, she STILL wants to use them for her house remodel next month. I mean, I don't get it. What is wrong with contractors?

You answered your own question. Bad contractors can always find dumb homeowners.

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing. It puts my misery into perspective. I feel your pain on a smaller scale.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Serawyn,

I am so sorry you are stuck with a idiot contractor who
    thought he could out bid a realistic kitchen reno. Creep!!!
    It is healthy to share this nightmare. It helps you see
    your perspective and to know you are not alone. I won't
    give advice just understanding. My advice would be
    full of anger, resentment, furious feelings, memories....
    more memories. I am getting angry just thinking about it.

Please know you are not alone. I do not even know your
    Contractor and I want to kick him in the teeth. Be strong.
    Take Marcolo's advice. Do not pay them anymore. It does
    not matter if they come recommended. You owe them nothing
    further, not even your time or your understanding.

There will be lots of advice in the next few days and I
    assure you, you are not alone. Be strong. You can do this.
    And wishing you all good things.
    ~boxer

• weissman
    13 years ago

They have probably decided that it's not worth the 5K to them to finish the job so they've essentially walked away. As others have said, use the 5K to finish the job BUT make sure you terminate them legally for non-performance so they don't put a lien on your house. Good luck.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

sera

So sorry to hear -

It sounds as if the company you hired are rough/framing carpenters not finish tradesman -

I totally agree with Marcolo - who always provides sound advice

good luck

• Liljon
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad experience. One thing you can do is to send him a letter of intent. In this letter state the days you need him there to finish the job, also state if he does not start on the day you ask him to then you will have to hire someone else to finish the job and that he will be out any money owed to him, and that if the other company finishes the job you may seek any extra amount owed to the new company from him in court.
    Good luck

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear about your woes...but, well...misery loves company! This process can really suck, can't it? I'm so envious of those whose jobs went smoothly and they are no enjoying their lovely new kitchens.