Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

UFFDA! This knee-stuff is a B*tch....;-)

Faron79
9 years ago

Finally getting back to my "Family" here!
* Just got home ~~ 11am CST today...
* Would've been home Sat., but had a bit of a dizzy spell Sat. am, when sitting chair after moving around. Fri night & Sat am they gave me a muscle-relaxer, & I think this had an impact!
* The above-knee nerveblock was wearing off too, so Sat was a day of adjusting the pain meds!!

Thanks for all the nice wishes & prayers gang!!

* My leg alignment was a few degrees off too, Dr. had noticed. The inside back heel area was always wearing-off fairly quick on shoes.
* My kneecap had been fairly "kittywompous" too obviously, along with inside MCL loosening up.
* Soooooo...besides all the knee-ends work, he also had to do some "Ligament augmentation" it was called.
* So now, Dr. said my leg is now "set up" to walk straight ahead!!
* Some of the new exercises are a B*TCH...;-)
* The worst is simply sitting a chair, & sliding the heel back some...."Holy-S$*($uheprt9ug4(%&&&F !!!!

Faron

Comments (39)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update...glad to hear you are alive and well...just have to work on getting it all working now!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Yikes! No fun and so sorry about all the pain, Faron. Sounds though as if you will be better than ever when all is said and done.

Sending good thoughts your way and hoping you start feeling much, much better soon. You did make me smile with your creative expletive though! ;)

• awm03
    9 years ago

Holy moly, Faron, just reading about you moving your heel back made me squirm. I'm sure knee replacement rehab is not for wimps. Hang in there, hang in there... Remember, ice is your friend.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awm03-
    LOL!
    Didn't mean to make anyone squirm! I s'pose the un-GOD-ly stiffness in sliding heel back is the extra ligament-work Dr. had to do.
    Not much has brought me "to my knees"...but this comes close!

Faron

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I've heard the rehab is tough, but the final result is worth it. Stick with it. Those who do their exercises religiously end up with the best outcome.

man. I hope I never need a joint replaced. My brother and my friend each had a total hip last spring. Both are doing well.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Glad to see your typing fingers weren't affected :-)

Wishing you well in your rehab and recovery, and so glad to know that you are doing your exercises!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Welcome back, Faron! Hang in there. Hope it will get a little better every day.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

I know of a couple people that just had knee replacements. They were in so much pain initially but it began to get easier by the day after the first week or so. You'll be glad that you did it, several months from now I'm sure! Hang in there...baby steps so to speak.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm glad it wasn't total general-anesthesia! GA just takes so long to clear...ugggh!
    I think by 1pm I was back in my room, & sitting-up in bed.

I do remember hearing some casual conversation, & hearing a small "tapping" sound once when I "sorta" woke up a bit once. That was kinda weird!

Off to do my evening set of exercises...ugggghhhh!

Faron

• tinam61
    9 years ago

So glad to hear from you! I have always heard the therapy is the worst part of the surgery. Hope each day gets easier and you are soon up and about easily!

tina

• lyfia
    9 years ago

Glad you are home and seem to be in good spirits. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Ah ....the infamous heel slides. Do you have something under your foot that is slick so that your foot will slide easier?

As you progress and gain more flexibility in the knee they might have you do heel slides while you're sitting in bed or on an exam table. When I did those at the rehab center they put a 2' long piece of rigid plastic under my leg which made sliding my heel a easier. Do you ice your knee after the exercises?

Thanks for checking in and giving us the update. I've been thinking about you. I hope your DW and DD are spoiling you. If it gives you some encouragement I was dancing at my son's wedding 3 months after having both knees done. Hang in there - each day gets a little easier and less painful.

M.C.

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Is it time for a pair of male Jimmy Choos?

Keep up with the exercises!

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Glad that the surgery is behind you. We'll listen and cheer you on, but it's OK to uff-da about the exercises.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grooooaan...finally into bed!
    MC- I've gotta try that!
    Been using a pillowcase on carpet so far...pull back 1"...wince/groan, another 1"...clench teeth/grunt, .5" more...screech like Ozzy., etc. ;-)

Lol Jmc01!
    Wellllll...maybe some Designer Socks?!?!??!

MC-
    Right now...I'd say you're full of baloney...;-) ;-)
    Just doesn't seem possible....

Faron

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Poor Faron. :( I can't believe the hospital gave you a muscle relaxer on top of the pain meds. Wonky combination. I did that when my neck was out of whack and my dh found me at my desk passed out and the coffee pot sitting next to me. Not the cup mind you, but the pot. lol

Wishing you luck, I know it hurts.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Faron - pillowcase on carpet is hard! Is your kitchen floor wood - vinyl - ceramic? Any of those should be easier than carpet. You need something smooth - even a cookie sheet would work.

When is your first in-home PT? The therapist should have suggestions. And I remember how those initial heel slides can be so disheartening - every inch is a milestone.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Glad you're home, I know you're going to do fine (and who knows, may go out dancing for New Year's Eve?). You're one tough Viking, you can do it!

PS my dad said he is doing his exercises, his surgery is 4 weeks away now. I won't tell him about the heel slides ;-)

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

curious if they have you use a mechanical/machine for part of the PT. My daughter had one from day one and into 4 weeks. She really pushed this thing, even though a tough call. Hoping all goes well for you. I was impressed with my daughter doing everything right and it paid off. Hang in there.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Heel slides! Ugh! I had to do those when I had my ACL surgery too and had totally forgotten those...must have been the pain meds, lol! I think I draped a thin towel around my ankle and used it to help pull my foot back. Plus it provided a little resistance both ways as I progressed.

Faron, so glad you're able to laugh and joke already! Soon it will be just a memory and you'll have even more 'knee-war stories' to tell! Do you get the lovely electrical-stimulation at the end of PT? That and the ice at the end of PT was like crack for me!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Sending you healing thoughts. My mother had both her knees replaced in one surgery. Rehab was tough, but she got through it and her pain level was so much less once the first couple of months passed. You must do the exercises, though, to get the best long-term outcome.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Adding my deepest healing thoughts to the group -- hoping for a well-managed pain level for you Faron! :)

Yes indeed -- ICE is the best! :)

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OSP-
    Yes...I regard those "slides" with "extreme prejudice"!!!
    The ICE= Crack. Absolutely!!!
    My 1st PT-appt is this Thur @ 3pm. Haven't heard yet if electrical-stim is part of it?

AJS-
    LOL! Yeah- I wouldn't wish those slides on my worst enemy!

After some moving around, I've got the cold-blanket/pumper on now!!! AaaaaaahhhhhhHHH...."Crack".....;-)

Faron

• April101
    9 years ago

Do the work with rehab. It is such an important part of the healing process. Ice is your friend. When is the last time you saw a NFL player or college player in a sauna? You will be better soon!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Ice, ice, baby...

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good points April101!

AJ's-
    ...was kinda wondering how long that would take to surface...;-)

Faron

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Ouch! That sounds painful, Faron. Hang in there and keep doing those exercises. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone care for a "Knee-Selfie"....?
    Wellllll here it comes!

Taken in poorer light, & so-so (@ best) camera:

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drat!
    There's still no way to do more than 1 pic per post?

Another one:

• User
    9 years ago

whoa....sure hope it goes well today at rehab !! Good Luck and be careful ! c

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Nice incision Faron. I hope your PT goes well today.

Not all physicians utilize the CPM (Continuous Passive Motion) machine. I had one for the 5 days I was in the hospital and it seemed to work well. Since I had both knees done at the same time they would alternate legs for an hour or two at a time. When I went to the in-patient rehab facility my Physiatrist was less keen on them. He said he used them primarily for patients who had significant mobility issues . I tried it for a day or two but their CPM machine just didn't fit as well so I stopped. But by that point I was going to PT 3 times a day so it wasn't as necessary.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

While you're sitting around healing, you might want to read the article posted below. It's an interesting article that looks at making medicine more like cheesecake factory in terms of speed, efficiency, customization, etc. The article itself is a good one, but I recommend it for you as it particularly refers to orthopedics including this:

The day after a knee replacement, most orthopedic surgeons have their patients use a continuous passive-motion machine, which flexes and extends the knee as they lie in bed. Large-scale studies, though, have suggested that the machines donâÂÂt do much good. Sure enough, when the members of WrightâÂÂs group examined their own patients, they found that the ones without the machine got out of bed sooner after surgery, used less pain medication, and had more range of motion at discharge. So Wright instructed the hospital to get rid of the machines, and to use the money this saved (ninety thousand dollars a year) to pay for more physical therapy, something that is proven to help patient mobility. Therapy, starting the day after surgery, would increase from once to twice a day, including weekends.

So you might want to avoid the CPM and opt for more PT instead. Also, be sure you take your pain meds....it's really important to keep the pain down so you can do the PT as that's what will help you back to mobility.

Hang tough, kiddo!

Here is a link that might be useful: Big medicine

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AD-
    Thanks for that info.! I'll bring it up this aft @ 3pm-PT appt.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

How long do the staples stay in? I was surprised when they removed the dressing the day after my surgery to inspect the incision because I was expecting staples too. I had subcutaneous sutures and glue. Glue! I didn't know they could use glue. When my surgeon came in to check he told me he did it that way to reduce scarring.

How did your therapy go?

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still awake here in Fargo @ 1am CST!

2 upcoming appts...10/10 & 11/04.
    * #1...I think is with another ortho-surgeon to remove them (2wks post-op), & assess things.
    * #2...is with my actual surgeon (5-ish wks post-op). He's SUCH a nice guy! Assessments for returning to work, driving, etc.??

Exercises are still a B*TCH, but getting a little easier.
    * The DREADED heel-slide reps, using a plastic-bag, are at least "tolerable" now, & I can do 10 reps to ~~90deg. A few days ago, you would've thought a werewolf was in the house...;-0
    * I can hold seated 90+deg stretches, in increments, for ~~1min, then move my leg back another millimeter....;-)
    * Leg-lift movements, knee & whole-leg, are going good.
    * Leg/knee flex-downs feel almost good!
    * After a couple more stretches.....IT"S TIME FOR A .5hr ICE-PUMP!!!!!!!!
    * 3X/day now (from 2) for all this madness....

Faron

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Sounds like you are on your way, Faron. Hope it continues to go pretty smoothly for you.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Glad it's getting easier - relatively speaking ;-)

Are you awake at 1am b/c of pain or b/c you nap during the day?

I just scrolled down to your last post, sorry I'm squeamish so haven't read any posts with pix.

• rosebud57_gw
    9 years ago

Invest in one of these: http://www.orthoassociates.com/SP11A10/
    Insurance will not cover it - they'd rather you be on pain meds! This was a god send to me during my knee replacement surgery.

**HINT** when you start PT, take pain med about 1/2 hr before appt. and plow through the pain. You have to. It gets easier with time and the more you work it, the better off you'll be.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Rosebud!
    I'm using almost the EXACT thing!
    We just took the one they were using in my hospital-room! I'll have to clarify if it's a "rental", or included in my bill. Yes, it's a "Godsend" for sure!

Got my Norco Rx refilled today! That stuff really helps my knee! Ran out on Sat., & regular Tylenols don't do squat. Found out today you have to HAND-DELIVER a SIGNED refill Rx to the Pharmacy!!! So I asked DD if she could pick it up & take it to Pharmy!
    >>> ....and yes, your hint is just how I'm doing it!

PT appt#2 tomorrow! Then it's Wed & Fri.

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: My