Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinch_me

fire extinguisher

pinch_me
14 years ago

I never see any in the photos. Where do you keep them?

Comments (15)

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

That's because they don't go with the aesthetics so people hide them for the photos! (Except in theanimala's, with all those great red accents! In her kitchen, it could be art.) Here's a photo (but mine doesn't count; just getting the ball rolling).

Good point, though. I haven't planned for it yet, so I know what I'll be doing today!

{{gwi:1570760}}
    Between fridge and island

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

I have one of those walk-throughs from the garage where the pantry and the washer/dryer live. We keep an extinguisher on the wall beside the pantry. We can see it from the kitchen, but it's not in the way.

• jenfromnc
    14 years ago

Mine is under the sink, which is across the room from the stove and oven. Thats where my mom always kept hers, so thats just where I *know* it is from living with her.

At least... I hope its under the sink. I need to check. I don't specifically remember unpacking it a few weeks ago. I need to check! Good thread!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

It's under the Prep Sink just to the right of the range...but, I just checked and it expired in late-2008..yikes! So, guess what I'm doing this week...

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Ours is in a small/shallow cabinet in our island. We have another one in our "office" just down the hallway.

• sameboat
    14 years ago

I keep it out, on the counter, next to the fridge. In an emergency it needs to be visible. I have kids too so they need to know where it is in an instant.

• megradek
    14 years ago

in the walk-in pantry...which doesn't photograph well right now :)

• zelmar
    14 years ago

In the appliance garage next to the range. The garage is also accessible from the other side of a peninsula from the range (just before the open doorway into the mudroom/exit.)

• plllog
    14 years ago

Mine used to be in a similar position to Jsweenc's old one.

I think mine is going to have to go under one of the sinks, too.

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

Mine is mounted on the wall just inside the utility room door - just a step away.

• ellabee_2016
    14 years ago

Great question! Ours is just inside the laundry room/mudroom that's off the kitchen, eight steps away.

We've been talking about building storage into/underneath an old farmhouse table that's now a work surface nearby. As it's only one or two steps from the stove, that would be a much better location for the extinguisher. Hm. Maybe making the safety argument will get that project moving...

• tracy25
    14 years ago

I started a similar thread last year....some amazing responses. We've ended up with ours under the sink but we're not sure that's a final decision.

http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1119090419114.html?30

• pinch_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My newest one is white. Not nearly as noticeable as the old red one. I had thought I might put it on the wall but it didn't have a bracket to hang it with so maybe not. I guess after I get the new kitchen situated I'll find a good place. I'm sure there will be a little space somewhere. I wonder if there is any kind of little basket that would attach to the inside of a cabinet door.......I'll have to look around. I don't want it to get shuffeled around and not be able to find/reach it if/when I need it!

• studio460
    14 years ago

We have 'em everywhere, mounted right on the walls, like art. We also bought the pure white one for the kitchen (not yet installed). And, I have a neat-looking silver one for my office. We also have a big, bright red one right next to the rear garage door, outside, at the recommended "commercial building" height. I think they look cool, plus everyone knows where it is because they can see it.

• scootermom
    14 years ago

Goodness gracious, ours is mounted in the broom closet up high, but I just checked the date and it was made in 1971. Thanks for starting this thread, I will have to pick up a new one today!

Chris

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations