Houzz Logo Print
alwaysgot2know_gw

Trane System Best Components?

alwaysgot2know
14 years ago

What do you think?

I am getting:

Trane Model # 4TTX5036A1000A 3 ton (up to 17 SEER) AC

Trane Model # TUD100R9V5K 80% 100,000 BTU Variable Speed Furnace (GAS)

Matching Coil (Sales rep said coil is ACE and is the only one eligible for tax credit with this system)

Pad, Disconnect, Whip Kit

April Aire 700 Humidifer

Lennox Healthy Climate HC16 Air Filter

I live in Springfield, VA. Approx. 2200 ft. of living space.

Comments (19)

• max566
    14 years ago

Just my opinion, but would think you may want to look for system that qualifies for the $1500 tax credit. Trane as well as other make systems that qualify.
    As to size, depends on what your heat load calc reqmnts are. Did they do a full workup on your house ?

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

alwaysgot2know

First of all, what size is your existing furnace?

Has dealer provided you with an AHRI matching number that confirms tax credit eligibility?

I suspect this dealer has oversized the furnace so that it can handle a large third party coil. I have already expressed my opinion on third party coil. I would avoid them if at all possible.

An 80% eff furnace for your area/climate is a dinosaur. I would either add a high eff heat pump or upgrade furnace to a 95% eff model.

I would change the condenser selection to the XR15 AC or HP with matching Trane evap coil. Ask dealer if there is a selection that qualifies for the tax credit.

I would want Trane's 803 stat or the identical HW equivalent.

what about new refrigerant lineset?

This configuration suggests to me that this dealer is not experienced and/or does not have his customer's best interests at heart.

You asked and I answered.

IMO

• alwaysgot2know
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Max, the company has given me an AHRI cert for this system. They said it works because of the ACE coil.

Tigerdunes, I have had 3 companies come out and not one has done load cal req. that I know of. Or hasn't informed me anyway.
    I have a Bryant furnace and a York AC. Both about 23 years old. I am not sure what info you need off of them. The York labels are unreadable. But I was able to get most of the Bryant info. It does say input 100000. The Model # is 394GAW036100 AEEA. And I appreciate your candor.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

alwaysgot2know

what is the AHRI Directory number?

as I said, an 80% eff furnace by itself without a HP is a dinosaur for your area climate.

if this was my home, I would look into upgrading to Trane's XV95 two stg 95% eff furnace using the 80 KBTU model.

I would move from the XL15i condenser to the XR15 AC condenser using the best rated Trane coil for your application.

use the Trane 803 thermostat or HW identical equivalent.

what about the lineset?

sorry to be so opinionated-just trying to look after you.

IMO
    Good Luck!

• max566
    13 years ago

always2got.
    You should have the contractor provide you exact model numbers of proposed systems as well as those units numbers for SEER , EEER, and HSPF.
    The tax credit qualifying numbers as follows:
    SEER = 15
    EEER = 12.5
    HSPF= 8.5 -
    these are min numbers

there are websites which list the mfrs / model numbers etc which show the qualifies for the fed tax rebate.

my 2 cents- if none have done a heat load calc- i would be wary - this should be standard to be able to assess what your home needs in terms of size of units etc.

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

The XR15 is a nice substitute for a little less cost than the XL15i. Has a 10 year warranty when registered with Trane.

With a 3 ton a/c, 100k of heat sounds like a lot whether its 80% efficient or not. I'd get a load calc to determine sizing before proceeding with any installation. However, if the old 100k didn't run short cycles, and you put in a 2-stage 100k furnace, probably would be okay.

• alwaysgot2know
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HAHA. I like opinionated.

Tigerdunes, would the system you recommend be eligible for the tax credit as well? Of course, it would be nice to get it but I also don't want to sacrifice the system in my home for the next 20 years (hopefully) for the tax credit.

I am requesting the HW VisionPro IAQ as both you and Ryan have recommended so many times to others.

I will check into the lineset. I know there is something about it in the quote. I just don't have it on me right this minute. Be home soon!

• alwaysgot2know
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK. Under section in quote "Condensing Unit Installation Specifications", it reads:

1. Condenser to be installed level.
      2. Service panel needs to have 24 inches of clearance
      3. Re-insulate copper lines from unit to exterior wall using solid 1/2" rubbertex not split.
      4. Refrigerant lines will be run as neat as possible using elbows on both liquid and suction lines. Lines should be plumb and level wherever possible. Run liquid line tight to suction line until 8 inches from unit, then split apart to the appropriate fittings on the unit.
      5. Thermostat wire will be run neatly with refrigerant line set to unit. Wiring will be fastened to refrigerant lines with tap or wire ties. Being careful thermostat waire is not located in such a way that the lawn mower or weed eater will damage wire.
      6. High voltage will be run as neatly as possible with extra liquid tight or wire removed.
      7. If it should be necessary to extend the thermostat wire, wire nut the individual wires together, wrap the connection with electrical tape, and fasten the connection out of sight. Either inside the line cover or taped to the underside of the refrigerant line.
      8. New equipment pad for condensing unit.

It appears he is instructing his tech. Or letting me know what they intend to do. Does that answer the lineset question or no?

The rep says he uses the XL15i because it is a tried and true product. The XR15 is so new that they would not even offer the extended warranty to 10 years because they are not comfortable with its' capabilities yet. It comes with a two-year manufacturers' warranty.

He says we have a 80% Bryant system now with 100000 BTU.

He also says that we would have to make modifications in our duct system of about $1200 for the XV95 to work. I recall that we were told that the way our duct system is hooked-up to our furnace leaves a clearance issue.

When I asked about the duel-fuel system, he recommended it highly. Says he thinks it's the best way to go in our area, short of a geothermal system. He verbally quoted $8500-$9000 for duel-fuel system.

Lastly, he said that it is $750 to do load cal. req. testing. He can schedule it but after being at our home didn't feel it necessary. Said it takes 4 hours in the home and 2 hours to enter info into system for results.

Any change of heart?

• alwaysgot2know
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Morning fellow Garden Webber's! Still getting quotes, but wondered what you thought of the info above.

Thanks.

• alwaysgot2know
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi guys.....

Living space approx. 2100-2200 ft.

Replacing 23 year old system - York AC (can't read anything on any labels). We think it is 3 ton but can't be positive.
    Bryant 80% 100000 BTU unit - 394GAW036100A

I live in Springfield, VA

They are replacing the high voltage wiring that runs outside our home now (along a brick wall) to inside our home.
    And will have to perform flue piping changeover for XV95.

XV95 - TUH2B080A9V3VA
    XL15i - 4TTX5036A1000A
    Trane 4TXCB03UBC3HCA Coil
    April Aire 5000 EAC
    April Aire 700 Humidifier
    Trane 803 thermostat

Cost: $11,500 ($9950 without humidifier and EAC)

I got another quote with the same components except it has a XV95 - Model TUH2C100A9V4VA.

So here it is:

XV95 - Model TUH2C100A9V4VA
    XL15i - 4TTX5036A1000A
    Trane 4TXCB03UBC3HCA Coil
    April Aire 5000 EAC
    April Aire 700 Humidifier
    Trane 803 thermostat

Cost: $8771.00.

Though, I am not as confident in this company's abilities. They seem to "waffle" some, and don't answer my concerns very quickly. And will answer verbally, but are slower in giving me written estimates. Could just be they are very busy, I guess.

Thank you.

By the way, the HVAC company I had here today was impressed with my questions. He said most people don't grasp the knowledge enough to ask the right questions. He said I must be talking to people who know their stuff. You're good!

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

Quote 2's pricing is more reasonable, but I have to wonder why they're quoting a 100k 95% furnace for your size home, while the other one quoted an 80k.

• alwaysgot2know
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ryan,

I was hoping someone could give me some idea. That was really my big concern. I have set forth that question to both companies. Hopefully, I'll get an intelligent response from each.

As I said, the second company (Cheaper), I have some doubts about their abilities. And their Washington Checkbook rating is pretty low. The first company (Higher), though more expensive, is someone we personally know to be a good installer. He explained that he (Higher) just cannot buy the product for what the other company (Cheaper) can because the second company (Cheaper) is so much larger, and they can get the equipment at a better price due to more volume. That makes sense. He also explained that the two owners of the first company (Higher) do the installs, whereas the second company (Cheaper) sends installers making less (and probably less qualified) over to do the work.

It all makes sense. I know you guys say that the installer can make or break the system. So, I am a bit at odds.

I'll write-in tomorrow after I get responses back about the different BTU furnaces.

:)

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

Substituting the 5000 electronic air cleaner for the 2200 media air cleaner should help lower the cost some. Sounds like you feel more comfortable with the first company.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

alwaysgot2know

There are multiple matches for the 80 KBTU XV95 Trane furnace TUH2B080A9V3 paired with either three ton XL15i or XR15 AC condenser.I would expect the 80 KBTU XV 95 to be more than adequate as far as sizing goes.

That's nonsense too about the XR15 being untested. There are three major differences between these two mdls.

1.sound the XL15i is inconsequentially quieter 74 db vs 76 db

2.the XL15i has Trane's proprietary unique top

3.the warranty on the compressor on the XL15i is 12 yr vs 10 yr on the XR15.

the performance/eff numbers on the XR15 depending on coil application are usually a little better.

I don't care for EACs but that's up to you. I am a believer in the KISS principle. EACs have cleaning maintenance schedules, most produce small amt of ozone, and of course they operate on electricity. Of course that's your call. Just be aware of what to expect. I prefer changing out a box filter that lasts up to one year. Very easy.

you are on the right trak now.

IMO

• alwaysgot2know
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Ryan. And, yes, I do feel more comfortable with the company that is so much more $$. Though, I imagine the less expensive furnace would be the 80,000 BTU as opposed to 100,0000 BTU. So, I am wondering why they can't make-up some financial difference there.

Tigerdunes - what non-EAC system, if any, would you suggest?

Still no word from either company on why they chose the model they did. I am calling them this morning.

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

alwaysgot2know

I have always believed that a good 4-5" pleated filter media cabinet MERV 10 or above is more than adequate for over 99.99% of homeowners and their HVAC systems.

Trane has a mdl called "Perfect Fit". Why is it called this? Because it fits to Trane's furnace like a good pair of gloves fit your hands. There are third party brands like AprilAire and Honeywell 200 mdls.

IMO

• alwaysgot2know
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, tigerdunes. My husband has major sinus issues and I can't sell him out of an EAC. He is stuck on the technology of it all. I wish I could.

I am now choosing between the April Aire 5000 vs. Lennox HC16.

Any opinions anyone?

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

That's easy, since the Aprilaire 5000 is an EAC and the HC16 is not (just a pleated filter cabinet, up to MERV 16).

• tigerdunes
    13 years ago

alwaysgot2know

Ryan is correct. Lennox HC16 is not an EAC just a MERV16 High Eff Media Filter Cabinet.

IMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Lennox HC16 Filter Cabinet