Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgmc_gw

Help Choosing Heat Pump Quote

mgmc
14 years ago

We live in Northern CA (San Jose). We currently have a wall furnace and ceiling fans. For 1-2 months of year, temperatures can range 90+ degrees. We are looking to install a heat pump system.

We have 2 quotes we are looking at:

Lennox G61mpv Furnace 71,000 BTU 95%Efficiency

Lennox XC14-024AC 14-16SEER

Also included Lennox Pure Air System

Warranty: Lifetime HE, 10yrs-Compressor, Parts -10yrs, Labor - 2Yrs

Total Quote before rebate/Tax Credit $11,352

Second Quote:

Trane XV95 Furnace 60,000BTU 95%Efficiency

Trane XR14AC 14SEER

Trane Perfect Fit 5" Media Filter

Warranty: 20yrs-HE, 10yrs-Compressor, Other parts-5yrs,

Labor - 3yrs

Total Quote before rebate/Tax Credit $14,934

Difference of $3582 for Trane.

Any guidance/information very much appreciated!

Comments (9)

• veesubotee
    14 years ago

Did either contractor do a heat calc (manual J)? It makes a difference as far as your comfort is concerned, as one unit may never see 2nd stage (depending on your local conditions).

Would that Lennox unit be an 071 model, in which case, the input (2nd stage) is 66,000 BTU.

The Trane prices seem out of sight. You can get an Aprilaire or other after-market filter for several hundred dollars installed.

You really need full model numbers.

V

• ryanhughes
    14 years ago

Those aren't heat pumps.

The Trane should also carry a 10-year warranty with timely registration.

• mgmc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Full model #s
    Lennox Furnace G61mpv-36b-071 (quote says 71,000 BTU)
    Lennox AC XC14-024-230

Model #s provided for Trane quote not provided in more depth--does that also say something?

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

"We are looking to install a heat pump system."

mgmc

your quotes are not for HP systems.

for your location, are your winters mild?

IMO

• golfer1512
    14 years ago

This is the Trane heat pump I recently had installed in fl 4twr4042c10000a , xr 14, with matching a/h, it qualifies for the $1500, tax credit. Check it out with your dealer.

• mgmc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The phrase "heat pump" was used in conversations. I don't know what a heat pump system is. I can just say that we're looking for a "central air" type of system for heating/cooling. Our house is 1066 square feet. Winter temps are mild--usually 50+ degrees in San Jose CA. Maybe 1-2 weeks/year temps drop to freezing (fairly unusual). Summer months temps range from 80-95+ (but probably 4 weeks/year where temps are 95+). Our house is insulated but on those 95+ days, its very hard to be in the house. As I am currently injured (broken heel)not much choice.

We negotiated Trane quote down to $12,700. Both the Trane and Lennox quotes quality for rebate and tax credit totalling $1800. So net quote for Lennox $9552,
    net quote for Trane $10,900. Trane quote higher approx. $1400. Trane quote includes 5" Perfect Fit media filter. Lennox quote includes Pure Air Purification system.

Help very much appreciated!

• garyg
    14 years ago

MGMC:

A heat pump is a simply a central a/c condenser (outdoor unit) that has a reversing valve so it makes heat in the winter. Probably good for your mild climate in CA.

Sounds like you're being quoted a straight a/c condenser, instead of a heat pump condenser, to go with the new furnace.

A heat pump combined with a furnace is a "dual fuel" system. The heat pump provides primary heating, and the furnace provides back-up (auxillary) heat to the heat pump in very cold temps. This set-up also gives you choices if the price of either gas or electric rises in the future.

Hope this cleared it up.

Take care.

• golfer1512
    14 years ago

If you bought a heat pump, I don't see the need a furnace, 9-10 k even after rebates seems high to me. I would get a quote for a heat pump only and put in a 5kw heat strip and have them deduct the cost of the furnace. I had a 3 1/2 ton heat pump installed in FL on 6/18, before rebates and tax credits for $ 5,300. The home is 1800 sq ft under air, Temps 29- 32 winter , 90-95 now , it replaced my old HP. Ask the dealer, why won't a hp do the job ? or are they trying to push the added cost of a furnace ??

• volvo_85
    14 years ago

Hi everyone, last fall I was in the process of selecting a heatpump with a lot of help from the forum when an unexpected emergency caused me to change plans. I am now ready to get the system and need the system to qualify for the l500 credit. First company offering Carrier Performance 15 A model with variable air handler 25HPA536A30 and FV4BNB006 with pad, new lineset, programmable stat, wiring to attic, I already have wiring to attic; disposal of old heatpump and air handler, safty and drain pan, complete system startup and check, new refrigerant and preconstruction meeting, 15 kw staged electric backup heat strips $7388 and 1500 tax credit. Next option is comfort 15 did not give serial no. price 6300 and 1500 tax credit. I asked him if the H model was available and he said he could not get it. This is a 3 ton unit for a brick and hardieplank ranch with 1600 sf on main floor and 480 sf familyroom in basement. There is 650 sf unheated in basement.I am located in central VA and I would like the extra heating. Currently have 15 year old carrier that is shot. Do you think 3 ton is enough. Have a sunroom that really heats up during the day and it is never really cool in there during the day. Only have one return in the hall ceiling. The warrenty is 10 year parts and 1 year labor. The second quote is for AM Standard 4A6H5036B1000A 3 ton 15 seer, variable air handler 4TEE3F40B1000A 10KW heat strip, flush out lineset, TCon 802, remove old equipment from premise, pad, safty and drainpan, new plenums, check system for safty and efficiency, new disposible filter or clean existing one, check and reseal minor leaks in ducts where necessary, new weatherproof disconnect $6100. He will install the H model carrier for the same price with same warrenty of 10 year parts and 10 yr labor 10 yr compressor.First yr. maintenance included but I must have maintenance yearly. Add $200 to insulate around separated joints. The carrier quote was on phone and the am std quote was written up in my home. He did not give me serial no. for carrier H model He said he could get H model with no problem. Need help. What do you think. Volvo