Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Sleepwalking

Oakley
12 years ago

I don't think I'll forget this as long as I live. Last night I sleepwalked (shouldn't it be sleptwalk? lol) for the very first time! And boy I hope it was the last time too.

I looked up sleepwalking when I finally got out of bed.

It's more common in children but when it happens in adults it's usually due to sleep deprivation. That's me!

Last Sat night I stayed up all night long. I never napped at all this week to make up on the lost sleep. I also went to bed about 1 every night since. And I'd get up about 4 or 5 am. Not sure why, I just didn't feel like sleeping!

As yesterday progressed, I finally crashed around 9pm. I woke up at 8:30 this morning.

I don't know what time this happened but I remember I got up out of bed and just quietly started walking around the house. I was also bumping into things because I didn't turn any lights on. lol

"Walking quietly around the house and bumping into things" is one of the symptoms of sleepwalking.

Some people remember what they did, other's don't.

I remember coming back here to the office which has a bed in it. I remember thinking that "no one's in the bed so I can sleep here." I crawled in, and when I woke up (still dark) my dh was on the computer. I got up and went back to my bed and went to sleep.

When I finally got up this morning, I was so groggy but I remembered everything and it just creeped me out!

Has this happened to any of you or someone you know?

Comments (8)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One more thing. My dh said I came in the LR where he was in his chair watching a movie, and I just took the remote from him and put it on the coffee table. Then I got up to leave. No wife I know takes the remote from their husbands without saying anything! lol

• Jamie
    12 years ago

Wow, Oakley. So you took two sleepwalks in one night? Did your DH know you were asleep? Did things look normal to you, like they always do? Do you think your eyes were closed some of the time, and that's why you were bumping into things?

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

I don't think that I have ever slept walked, but I have had experiences where I have woken up after being asleep for a couple of hours and have absolutely no idea where I am. I think that I must still be partially asleep. The most recent occurrence was my first night back from my trip to Europe. I had traveled without my husband, and was pretty jet lagged when I got back. So when I woke up around midnight, I was slightly freaked out when I realized that there was someone else sleeping in bed with me (when I told my husband about it, he thought I should have been very freaked out!), because I had no idea that I was actually back home. I got up and went to the bathroom, which I didn't recognize as being my very own bathroom for at least a minute.

• lindac
    12 years ago

My son used to walk in his sleep quite frequently....easily once a month....from the time he was about 6 until he was maybe 14. he probably walked before 6 but we just didn't realize he was asleep. He would do wacky things like beg me not to put his cookie in his bank....and go to ther efrigerator and open it and stand there....or get up and open a book..in the dark. Most of the time he would just come to someone and start talking nonsense. Worried the heck out of me because he was alert enough to unlock doors...I developed a super "Mom's ear" to him getting up. Than about 14 he just stopped....and graduated into talking....which he still does! When his family is visiting I sometimes sit bolt upright in bed because I hear a stranger talking in my house!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda, that's funny! My neice told me this morning that my nephew used to sleepwalk. One time my brother caught Blake standing on the dining room table and asked what he was doing. Blake said he was playing darts.

Jaimes, no, it was just one sleepwalk but I must have gone into the living room and had forgotten about it. Our house is L shaped so it's easy to walk around in one area of the house without being seen.

I can't remember if everything looked normal or not, I just remember my actions. I bumped into things because it didn't dawn on me to turn a light on, which is common I think.

Terriks, that kind of sounds like sleepwalking. When you're sleep deprived, you are kind of "out of your mind." lol.

It was like when I went to the office bed and I remember thinking "no one's in here so I'll take this bed" and just crawled in to sleep. Why would I even think that? Did I think all beds were taken because of company?

• natal
    12 years ago

That would totally freak me out. Have you heard of people who eat while sleeping? Talk about a living nightmare.

Here is a link that might be useful: nocturnal eating

• awm03
    12 years ago

My youngest son would sleep walk due to sleep deprivation from school stress. When he was 16, one night he walked out the back door at 4 a.m. We called the police for help. It took three hours to find him. He'd let himself into his best friend's house through the garage (he'd feed their hamster while they were away & knew the opener code) and was found staring at a wall in the basement. He was mortified when he came to and saw the police. Needless to say, I was a basket case and had to take off of work that day. And my son was exhausted because, as he said, "I didn't sleep very well!"

• sweeby
    12 years ago

My oldest used to sleepwalk when he was little. We found him in baby brother's room one night getting ready to pee into the crib! Did manage to redirect him to the potty, but then he freaked out and crawled behind the toilet! He was pretty little, so he actually FIT there! And we had a heck of a time getting him out... Thankfully, he's outgrown all of that ;-)

Younger brother talks in his sleep. He used to speak very clearly in his sleep - more clearly than in real life at one point. Now he still talks in his sleep but we can't really tell what he's saying.