Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jean_popowitz

Slate countertops (or alternatives?)

Jean Popowitz
16 years ago

As mentioned in another post, I went and looked at soapstone yesterday. Loved it! But when we brought the samples home and oiled them, we realize SS won't work in our kitchen with north-facing windows. I want something the color of unoiled soapstone. So I am back to square one. I had granite at a previous home and would rather not have it again.

Alternatives that I've thought of are:

Slate: worried about smoothness and durability. Would love some input from folks who've lived with it for a while. It's not supposed to stain, is that true? Does the edge chip? Matte finish, right? Do you have to seal it?

Stainless Steel: The positives are the seamless sink & drainboard possibilities and ease of cleaning. Wondering if it would look weird if I paired it with a (white) marble on the island? I'm going for an "edgy cottage" look.

Zinc: cha-ching! and read that it really develops a patina... worry about resale since I'd be amazed if I got to live in one place for more than 5 years. No real input from any GW folks.

Man-made: concrete, corian, other stuff (which I never considered so I don't even know the names). I've had Corian in two other kitchens and really like it. I have environmental issues with it now but am keeping it as my fall-back material. We have saggy floor problems already so I worry about concrete. I'm going to have to look at the other man-made stones more closely.

Oh, I did try to search last night.... GW is still having problems. What am I missing here? Thanks for your help. We need to finalize cabinets this week and sink choice (apron front) might be affected by counter choice which will affect cabinet choice...... DH left for Doha last night and has left me with the decision! ACK!

Comments (4)

• cocontom
    16 years ago

I don't know whether it's a site problem or a search problem- every thread probably has the word "counter" in it somewhere, and stainless in every sink thread.

Have you looked at Paperstone, Richlite or Shetkastone? They're all recycled materials. I have a sample of the Shetkastone, and the only thing that damaged it was jabbing a fork into it and dragging it across- and that buffed out with a nail file. I actively tried to mess it up- nothing happened to it with acetone, no wine or soy sauce stains, it skipped across the concrete driveway without scratching. The only reason we decided against it was because we found a really cheap marble tile that we loved and could DIY (it ended up costing us less than $10sf including tools), and was the safer choice for resale.

How about an apron front stainless integrated into the counter? That would look really cool!

• piyahr
    16 years ago

I put Shetkastone around my new sink and like it. I picked one of their Counterfit styles (which are made from old money shredded to different degrees). I plan to use one of their Printers Ink (?) versions around my induction cooktop (the very dark gray one). You can feel good about using recycled materials and getting a really strong product. I didn't care much for their brown options (made from cardboard), but the greys and greens are attractive. My daughter, who is just becoming aware of environmental issues, was also impressed that mom found a product that was both attractive and environmentally friendly (mom is cool!).

• hoffman
    16 years ago

Oiling soapstone is optional. If you want something the color of unoiled soaptone, why don't you get soapstone and just not oil it?

• oruboris
    16 years ago

A lot of people hear 'slate' and think of the fractured face of the flooring grade stuff...

But remember, it's also the bed of every decent pool/billiards table ever made. Ultra smooth, tough and long wearing.

Realitively narrow color range, but it is a very worthy, often overlooked stone.

Was strongly leaning this direction, now I'm moving a different way, color wise. But from what I could learn, it doesn't always need sealing, is non-porous, can be brought to a slight polish [more than soapstone, less then granite], harder than soapstone but still allows you to 'easily' buff out scratches.

An interesting stone called 'black lace': would love to run my hands over this:
    {{gwi:1581511}}
    Here's one that might be closer to your needs:
    {{gwi:1581512}}
    And one you might not associate with slate:
    {{gwi:1581513}}

All courtesy of the Vermont Structural Slate Co., link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: slate countertops