Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tubeman_gw

Opinions Requested on KD Initial Plan

tubeman
12 years ago

We have plenty of space so our design is flexible. Our motif will be modern/industrial/functional. Thanks for you thoughts!!

Comments (15)

• tubeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One more from above

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

WOW.
    Your use of symmetry really speaks to me!

I think it's fantastic.

On one wall you show a nice prep sink with a pass thru. In the drawing right before it, it shows a wall thing. I like the pass thru.

Is your microwave going to conflict with someone cooking at the stove or opening the ovens?

Is your garbage next to your sink or prep sink -- or both!?

I love it. What materials are you considering?

• lascatx
    12 years ago

One thing I notice is that your refrigerator is at opposite ends from your smaller sink. If you plan to use that as a prep sink, it is probably not a good placement relative to your cooking areas and food storage. If that is more for snack and beverage service through a pass through, maybe that doesn't matter, but I think you'll wind up using the larger sink for most prep work. Not sure what the rest of your floor plan looks like or your cooking style, but I would weigh flipping clean up and prep spaces. If your needs call for it and the budget allows, you could look at a beverage fridge or fridge drawers for one end to support beverage/service or veggie storage and food prep.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I agree that I would put clean up/DW in the current small sink location--its closer to upper storage, too.

Then the island sink could be used for prep.

• User
    12 years ago

Don't like the bar height that takes away from the usable space on the island nor do I like the bar height dining. It's uncomfortable to really use as an eating space for anyone under 12 or over 30. Even counter height gets to be uncomfortable, but it's more tolerable for quick snacks or breakfast than bar height would be.

The island would be far more useful as a big prep space with a prep sink than it would be as the cleanup zone. If you plan to use the secondary sink as prep, that means you'll be stuck with your head in that corner 70% of the time you are in the kitchen. Reverse the function of the sinks.

The Microwave would work much better across from your refrigerator and freezer to keep folks out of your work zone.

And lastly, why the short cabinets? With that ceiling height, stacked cabinets should be a no brainer. Or else do an extended soffit with lighting if your style is more modern. Or else much shorter horizontal cabinets. What you have currently looks either not tall enough in style or too tall. It's not proportionate. Especially with a big ole hood that goes all the way up.

• tubeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great feedback! I think I'll do two things right away. Move the prep sink to the island and move the microwave. I agree the cabinets look funny but the ceiling is 16 feet tall so not sure what to do. I don't like the island design all that well either. I'm thinking one level. I do use the raised bar level I have now often, however.

The counters will be soapstone I think. The island will be clad in coral. The upper levels, if I keep them, will be wood or marble...

• User
    12 years ago

16' tall? I'd drop that ceiling in a heartbeat. Not only is it going to be difficult to heat and cool and vent, but a ceiling that tall will be more like a church or courtroom in feeling than a home. Take it to 10', which is a manageable height, both with HVAC and cabinetry and still feels plenty spacious and open.

• tubeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Too late!

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

I echo the advice already given. Swap prep sink and clean-up sink locations, move the MW down to be across from the fridge, and make the island one level.

How fortunate you are to have such a large space for your kitchen.

• User
    12 years ago

Create a loft space upstairs for a small office with a spiral staircase for access? A secondary pantry for bulk storage?

I guess you have to dance with the one what brung ya, but the negative ramifications of the way tall ceilings should have been brought up during the design phase of the structure.

I'd have to say that I'd at least have stacked glass cabinets to reduce the proportion of open wall above the cabinets and then it wouldn't loom quite so badly.

• Kode
    12 years ago

Here's a picture I saved a couple years ago because I liked the way the cabinets were "topped" in a high ceiling situation. Plus, I love that flagstone floor!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I like your plan, but I think your pantry door is too 'traditional' for your modern/industrial kitchen. Something more in keeping with your theme might look better.

Oh, and I love the vaulted ceiling! One thing designer Sarah Richardson does is stack two uppers, to give the room a custom feeling, without the price. Would that work in your situation? Great for storage you don't need very often...and we all have that :)

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I like the picture that Kode posted where the tops of the cabinets have been defined. You may not need to do it as much as that heavier prairie style, but its something to consider.

I think with the size of your space you can carry off the high ceilings, it can be done well and "loft-industrial" is one appropriate style.

My building has 14', 12', 10', and 8 as you ascend, and the size of the rooms with the tall ceilings allows it to appear gracious. There is even one apartment with an 18' ceiling where it works. My building is Greek Revival, and historically the furniture and such was a bit more massive but not excessively tall, nor were the doors and built-ins. Part of the effect was the space Above everything.

I am not a supporter of randomly tall ceilings, and see a lot of double height, *small living rooms that are very unpleasant, like being inside a toaster slot, but it looks like you can carry this off with your space.

• tubeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kode - That is a great idea. Very cool kitchen. Thank you.
    As far as HVAC, we don't use much in the islands but I do think the cabinets need help. A soffit or a cap as in Kode's picture might work.

• mamadadapaige
    12 years ago

i posted this pic on someone else's thread the other night but when i saw the profile of your range hood it reminded me of this. This room also had tall ceilings with cabinets not going all the way up. I think it will be very dramatic. You have the makings of a show-stopper!

[contemporary kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by interior designer Robin Miller