Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie1289

Best place to buy a Cabrio: big box store or appl. store

katie1289
17 years ago

Hi All,

Have been trying to decide for 6 months what kind of TL to buy and each time I read this forum, I keep changing my mind! Now am 98% sure it will be a Cabrio - still haven't decided on agi or not..... but what I'm wondering as far as service and installation - is it better to buy from a big box store or an appliance store? who would have the better service technicians??? am assuming extended warranty would be the same from either place???

Thanks for your help

Katie1289

Comments (6)

• car1218
    17 years ago

Katie,
    I just bought mine from Lowe's. I was leary of Sears because I heard their extended warranties were so expensive. I probably could have gotten a better deal someplace else but my husband was getting on my case about buying a washing machine. If you have axcess to a military exchange you can get a great deal!!! I remember somebody saying Best Buy was running a deal too. I got my washer and dryer for right around $2000.00 with the 5 yr extended warranties. I will get a rebate check for the delivery. I liked that they hauled away my old set. Make sure you get the more expensive stainless steel hoses for your washing machine ($22.00) and a good dryer vent. The extra cost is worth it in the long run from everything I've read. Also, you should get a rebate for around $200.00 worth of free laundry detergent and dryer sheets if you buy both the washer and dryer. That comes from Whirlpool. I have the cabrio without the agitator. So far I really like it. I can do double the wash I did before. There are a few things I have noticed. Some of the clothes do come out more wrinkled and they are hard on bras. I'm going to try washing them in a special garment bag next time. Good Luck!! Carlee

• oregpsnow
    17 years ago

There have been many reports of problems with the no-agitator Cabrio, but that is your call. If you don't want a FL it is an option. Get yourself 2 good Woolite brand lingerie bags to put the bras and small items in. (You want two for load balancing.
    If you know of a reputable appliance store in your area and they have decent prices and good service then by all means, use them. Check with your neighbors, coworkers, etc. for references. Many people can't find one of them for various reasons and have had good luck at the big box stores. I got a great deal and great service at Best Buy. Others have had equally good experiences at Lowes or HD. Sears is a toss-up. In my area they seem to be OK still, but in other areas service is a problem. I didn't like the high prices, pushy and dishonest salespeople and ridiculous service plan prices. Don't be swayed by free soap and dryer sheets. Weigh cost, service and your gut feeling - I found it works most of the time.

• allboyz
    17 years ago

Also, I purchased my set a couple of days ago and the sales person said the free detergent deal had expired. She actually ripped the advertisement off the washer...At first she told me about it. Then she read it and said it had expired.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Personally, I'm a fan of supporting the local economy. Buying from an appliance store helps (even though BBUY is headquartered here). And, in this area, the very best prices on appliances do not come from the big-box stores. Pretty easy choice for me, but I don't know what is available to you.

• kpyeatt
    17 years ago

Hi there. I love Best Buy. I purchased the agitatorless Cabrio washed and dryer from them back in August '06. Had problem with first ones delivered so they delivered second ones. Had problem with second ones delivered as well,so they took those back and I scrapped the whole Cabrio thing and bought the Duets. Love these! They have free delivery (no waiting on some delivery rebate check)and if you're a Rewards member you get these coupons in the mail when they're having a sale on something and you can get 12% off the total cost. It's a good deal. And their hassle-free "send back" if you're not happy is really great too.

• rogerv_gw
    17 years ago

I just tried to buy a dryer from Best Buy. Due to excessive delivery and installation charges ($200 total on a $500 dryer), I ended up canceling the purchase. And I'm happy that I did. The thing that really frosted me was that I asked them before buying what the total delivery and installation charges would be and they told me $100, which I could put up with for a gas dryer. When I found the actual charges, it blew me away.

At any rate, I think that I ended up with a better model dryer for a lot less (from Sears, oddly enough). It was on sale, and their delivery and installation was about 1/2 of that charged by Best Buy, including taking away my old dryer.

-Roger