Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livebetter

new laundry products from Seventh Generation

livebetter
13 years ago

I "caught wind" that Seventh Generation had a few new products coming. Looks like some of them are on the website now. Sounds very interesting.

You know the product addict in me will have to try them (if I can get them here in Canada). I noticed my usual health food haunt was almost out of SG stock - maybe to make way for new product - hope so :)

Larsi, you should love the "multiple enzyme systems" :)

Natural 4x Laundry Detergent

Our best yet, inside and out! Our most technologically-advanced formula yet uses multiple enzyme systems to fight tough stains. This powerful formula is packaged in an innovative recyclable or compostable bottle, made from 100% recycled fiber. The entire packaging system (fiber bottle, pouch, spout, cap) system uses 66% less plastic than a typical 100 oz 2X laundry bottle - while delivering the same number of loads!

Available in Free & Clear and Geranium Blossoms & Vanilla (interesting scent).

I know SG powder and 2X liquid rate fairly well with Consumer Reports (FWIW). I have used both and like them. I wish they had a tad more scent but it's better than overwhelming.

I also noticed they reformulated their powder (or so it appears). A new scent as well, Real Citrus and Wild Lavender (yum). It also comes in Free & Clear.

Product Features

Super-Concentrated: Use Less, More Cleaning Power

Free of Optical Brighteners and Synthetic Fragrances

Contains Enzymes and Oxygen-Based Bleach

Biodegradable

Designed for Standard and HE Machines

http://www.soap.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=96636

Here is a link that might be useful: Seventh Generation - new 4X concentrate liquid

Comments (13)

• livebetter
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's another link to an article about the 4X if you're interested.

We unveil our amazing new formula and compostable bottle with the help of Seventh Generation R&D expert Cara B. and packaging guru Peter S.

How did Seventh Generation come up with the groundbreaking, compostable packaging for the new Natural 4X Laundry Detergent?
    Peter: We worked with Ecologic, a real innovator in the world of sustainable packaging. We knew that a molded fiber shell would advance the work that we're doing to reduce our packaging footprint. The new bottle uses 66% less plastic than a typical 100 oz laundry form and is completely recyclable!

How do you recycle the packaging when you have used all the new 4X Laundry Detergent?
    Peter: First, pop open the fiber shell by pressing on the side seam with your thumbs. Remove the liner and cap system and set aside, we'll come back to these in a minute. You can either recycle or compost the fiber shell. To recycle, flatten and include with your paper and cardboard for recycling in your curbside service, or bring to your local recycling facility. To compost, remove the label and either follow the directions for composting from your local composting facility or throw directly into your home compost system. To help it break down faster, you may want to tear the fiber shell into smaller pieces.

To recycle the liner and cap system, remove the cap and rinse out the liner. The liner is #4 LDPE plastic, and can be recycled at local retailers who offer plastic bag recycling bins.

The cap is #5 PP plastic, and you'll need to check with your local recycling center to see if they accept this kind of plastic. Also look for Gimme5 bins, which accept #5 plastics, and are available at most Whole Foods Market stores. For more information on the Gimme5 program, visit Preserve. If recycling is not available in your area, the cap may be disposed of in your regular garbage bin.

What's the secret to the new 4X formula?
    Cara: Our new 4X detergent is formulated with multiple enzyme systems to fight a broad range of the toughest stains. Like our 2X, it shows outstanding performance on stains such as blood, grass, and spaghetti sauce and contains a new enzyme that helps to tackle even tougher stains, like chocolate pudding and salad dressing.

How many loads does it do, and does it work just as well in cold water as in hot water?
    Cara: Our 4X laundry detergent is twice as concentrated as our 2X formulation, meaning that a 50 ounce bottle will deliver 66 loads -- the same number of loads as our current 100 oz 2X Laundry Detergent. This formula was developed to work in cold water, so you can use this with confidence on your washer's cold water setting, which we always recommend. Using cold water to wash your clothes is the best way to reduce our impact on the environment when we wash our clothes. For even more savings, line dry!

Where to buy (US):

http://www.seventhgeneration.com/where-to-buy/4x-laundry-detergent

From this article, it sounds like us Canadians (and our milk "jugs") were inspiration for the new bottle - huh.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home_blog/2011/03/seventh-generation-recyclable-cardboard-bottle.html

Here is a link that might be useful: The 7Gen blog

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

Geranium & Vanilla!!!!!! Holy cow, did someone at Seventh Generation do some kind of "Inception" thing and get in my thoughts and dreams?? I buy Germanium candles, and room spray along with Vanilla....the 2 actually smell heavenly together!!!

Wow, thanks for the info Livebetter. I am on the hunt!!!!

• livebetter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think that Geranium & Vanilla sounds interesting. When I read the ingredients the scent looks complex.

essential oils and botanical extracts* in Geranium Blossoms & Vanilla only: (prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil, citrus limon (lemon) peel oil, pogostemon cablin (patchouli) oil, cedrol, litsea cubeba fruit oil, cananga odorata flower (ylang ylang) oil, citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot) fruit oil, citronellol, vanillin, coriandrum sativum (coriander) fruit oil, beta-caryophyllene, eugenia caryophyllus (clove) leaf oil, pelargonium graveolens flower (geranium) oil)

If you score some - please post back and let me know what you think.

It now contains 3 enzymes (which should make you happy); protease, amylase and mannanase - never any optical brighteners. I find that the 2X liquid cleans well so would assume this new formula should clean even better.

I'm really interested in the new powder scent (Real Citrus and Wild Lavender) but I want to try this new liquid too.

Hopefully my local haunt gets their shipment this week :)

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

I bought the new 4x Seventh Generation Vanilla and Germanium. It does NOT smell anything like Vanilla or Geranium!!!!! But, it does smell nice. It smells like when you walk into one of those herbal, upscale day spas in NY or Los Angeles. I smell the faint patchouli, bergamot and ylang ylang. I wish I smelled the Geranium and Vanilla...as those are 2 of my FAV scents.

The detergent suds almost nothing, and rinsed SO well. During the rinses (water +, so high water level and a lot of sloshing...almost no bubbles). Clothes smelled fresh and clean, but not as soft as when washed with Vaska or Clorox Green Works.

It seems like a good product, but it was $16.00. For $19, I can buy the same size Persil!

• livebetter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How did I know you'd have tried it already! No one here has it yet.

The fragrance description sounded too complex to be a simple Geranium & Vanilla. I'll have to smell it to decide. I'm not a huge fan of patchouli although I do like ylang ylang.

Thanks for the update!

I mostly want to try the powder with real citrus and wild lavender.

The shipping to Canada from Drugstore.com is just outrageous right now so I can't get my Vaska! So bummed ...

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

@ livebetter...

I HATE patchouli too, and it is (luckily) very faint. Bergamot and ylang ylang is more dominant, but they too are very mild. The detergent smells good, but I think (for me) Clorox Green Works, Persil Color gel and Method Fresh Air or Peony Blossom smell fresher and cleaner!

I bought this new Vanilla and Geranium today (Whole Foods has it). I am not disappointed, but I am not having a "wow" moment like I did when I first tried Vaska on sheets & towels or when I used Green Works for the first time. I will use it up, I will not waste it/throw it away...but I do not see myself buying it again (but we'll see after a month of use). Good luck finding it and getting your Vaska!

-Larsi

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

SOAP.COM is having a 20% off sale and free shipping on orders over $25. I just ordered enough Vaska to last me the next 6 months and for less than it would cost locally.

• livebetter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

weep ... darn them for not shipping to Canada ... so sad ...

• livebetter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Soap.com has the new SG Real Citrua and Wild Lavender powder too ... ugh ...

• stbonner
    13 years ago

I picked up a new liquid at Target today - Wildflowers and Fresh Citrus scent. Smells great. This is a 2X liquid - they didn't have any of the 4X stuff yet.

• livebetter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is it White Flower & Bergamot Citrus? I don't think that is new (at least it's been in Canada for quite a while).

I have the powder of that scent. It's different but I like it. The scent doesn't linger when clothes are dry.

I find the 2X liquid cleans well (I have Lavender Eucalyptus version and matching fabric softener). Let us know what you think.

I'm off to my usual health food haunt tomorrow - I have my fingers crossed they have new stuff.

• stbonner
    13 years ago

Livebetter, no it's Wildflowers and Fresh Citrus. It has a sticker on the bottle that states that it is a fragance exclusively for Target. Who knew Tarjay was so hoity-toity?:)

I did one load with it and really like it. Everything is very clean and soft and there is a nice, faint, residual smell.

• livebetter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ah ... the fragrance sounds nice. I may be heading over the border in the next month to do some shopping. Target is always on my list of stops. I'll check for it.

We are supposed to be getting Target here in Canada. Not sure when it's opening. They plan on having about 150 stores by 2014.