Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_ross8133

Anyone have a counter depth refrigerator they like?

Linda Ross
16 years ago

Anyone have a counter depth refrigerator you like? I would like to have the freezer on the bottom if I can and water/ice on the door would be even better. These are difficult to find.

Comments (21)

• jt562
    16 years ago

We bought the Kitchenaid Architect II in stainless steel. (a floor model on clearance) It is counter depth, french doors on top & freezer on the bottom. There is an icemaker in the bottom, but no access through the door.

What we loved about it is that everything is REACHABLE and we can actually OPEN all the drawers inside with only opening the main door to a 90 degree angle from the unit (against a wall)

The only "bad" thing is that it is 42"..so rather big looking..but we were putting in new cabinets anyway, so built around it. So far all is well with it!

JoAnn

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenaid Architect II

• brunosonio
    16 years ago

Check out the new LG and Samsung CD. You have to special order them, they are only about another $200 over the regular versions, and you can get them at any appliance store or Best Buy.

We have the first model LG that came out, freezer on bottom, FD, with no water in the door. This year they came out with a model with water/ice in the door.

My only qualm with the earlier model is that the drawers inside tended to pop off the guides. The fit/finish inside is comparable to most lower end fridges, cheap plastic. But you can't beat the price (about 2K).

These lower end models are not truly built in, but they are cabinet depth. You can have your cabinet company or carpenter build a box to enclose the sides and you get the built in look without the price.

For 4K you can upgrade to the middle/high lines like Monogram, and for 6K you can get into the various SZ, including the 700 series drawers and component fridges. Depends on how much you want to pay and how intense you get about your fridge :)

• lazydm
    16 years ago

For the past 25 years I had a sub zero --loved it.
    We are in the process of remodeling so I have looked at a zillion CD models. I don't like most of the FD models with freezer on the bottom because the freezer drawer doesn't extend out very far---seems like it would be awkward to use.
    The 36" subzero has a great bottom freezer but you need a larger space for the door swing. The Thermador is a beauty but top shelves and racks are not easily reached if you are vertically challenged. The 36" SxS CDs are pretty tight for storage but the Thermador or KA 42" SxS are nice.
    Living with a reg depth fridge while we go through this remodel ( gave SZ to Habitat---oh how I wish I had kept it!!!) and I hate that stuff gets shoved to the back and I can't find anything.
    Friends have JA's and love them.

• giacomo_it
    16 years ago

if you want to spend around $2,300 I suggest the KitchenAid - KBRP20ERSS
    36" wide and the depth witout handle is 23-1/2" also accept panel.
    if you want spend more depend on the size. I like the bosch.thermador or gaggenau full integrated line (are almost all the same)
    bosch integra 36" bottom drawer freezeer.
    also you can consider liebheer.

• judithn
    16 years ago

I love my JA FD CD fridge. I had the refrigerator cabinet made in a 25.5" depth so it is pushed waaaay back into the alcove. I then had panels made for it. It also has a little horizontal panel filling the gap between the top of the fridge and the the upper cabinet. It looks awesome. To me it looks really integrated. The only part of the fridge you see are the metal overlay framing pieces, and frankly they are the same metal overlay framing pieces you see on the built in KA fridge. I personally did not like the SZ's. The 700 series wasn't gonna work in my kitchen 'cause of the door swing. I needed the FD configuration. I am so pleased with my choice. None of the CD FD's are very big and I have a spare fridge in the garage plus a big deep freeze in the cellar, so this functions well for us.

• mollyred
    16 years ago

I love my 48" GE monogram side by side with white cabinetry panels. Got it from Moe's Appliances via eBay - they're a scratch & dent store in Detroit and have a tremendous customer service ethic. Even with shipping to LA, I got a $7000 fridge for about half that!

Too many leftovers used to get lost in my former, standard-depth fridge. Nobody ever looked past the second rank of plastic containers. No more stoop and delve, either. I had thought that I wanted a french-door, freezer on the bottom type fridge, but found the bottom drawers too awkward in actual practice. Plus, things on the bottom would get lost because they were too difficult to see. I can find everything easily, and actually have room left in my freezer.

I'd never go back to standard depth again.

• angelcub
    16 years ago

We also have the JA FD CD fridge, panel ready. We've had it for 1 1/2 years and so far no problems and it is easy to get to everything on the inside with both doors open. Getting to the water inside is tight with only one door open but we manage (note* we are not large people either). Our previous fridge was an Amana with bottom freezer - never one problem in 17 years. I knew I wanted another bottom freezer so took a chance on the JA.

The one thing we are sorry about is the overall look. We bought it before we had finalized all we planned to do in the remodel and now we just don't think it's a good fit for our cottage design. So we'll probably sell it. We are seriously considering a Northstar or the Big Chill.

Good luck on our decision!

• sherilynn
    16 years ago

My SIL next door has a Frigidaire SS and loves it.

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

I have a 30" Liebherr on order. Search the appliance forum and you won't find one bad comment. They also have a 48". I was told by a company rep that a 36" would be coming out this spring.

• decodilly
    16 years ago

Well it's no Subzero but we like our Kenmore Pro side by side that we got at an outlet store. It has a side dent that is hidden so we got it for $1000 off. It is our first side by side and also our first fridge with water and ice in the door (love this way more than we thought we would) and so far (9 months of ownership) it works like a charm and easily holds our food for the 2 of us.

One feature that it has to its advantage is that the sides and top are also stainless. It is a waste for us as ours are hidden, but in a kitchen where you see the side I think it would look much better that the usual black sides on most. I also like the quirky look of the dials.

• debsinthepink
    16 years ago

Okay, I give, I even checked starpohs Forum Acronyms, nothing under J. What company is JA?

Thanks, debs

• Jean Popowitz
    16 years ago

Jenn-Aire.

I have had the Liebherr 30" since Thanksgiving and I love it.

• lynnette63
    16 years ago

I've had an Electrolux Icon since May 1996, and have been very happy with it. If you look at the appliance forum, a few people have had problems with the temperature in the Icon, but mine has been great. LG was my nightmare.

• aiallega
    16 years ago

Mollie, I have the KA KBLS20ETSS and like it alot. It has a bottom freezer and the fridge opens to the side instead of the french door type. After having the side opening door, I can't imagine the inconvenience of having to open two doors. I love opening it with one hand and everything is right there at eye level. The only drawback is there is no ice through the door- which I thought I would really miss but the water that comes from the inside dispenser is icy cold and tastes great. The ice maker makes tons of ice but it takes up alot of freezer space. We do have a small refrigerator in the basement, so I haven't had a problem with the limited freezer space. The bottom freezer does force you to be very organized and clean it out regularly. I hope this helps.

• fandlil
    16 years ago

On the forum recently, some people complained about their very bad experiences with LG. Big problems. Unresponsive Customer Service. Watch out.

• minnt
    16 years ago

I love my GE armoire style CD fridge. I didn't get water or ice in the door, but I think it was an option. I love the fact that nothing gets lost in the back. It is just two of us though and I do wonder how a big family would get by with it. Also, the freezer is marginal. Both drawers on the bottom are the same freezer compartment, just two different drawers. I have a large deep freeze that helps with big things.

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

I have the french door bottom freezer Jenn-Air. So far, I'm very happy with it. I love the big drawer at the bottom of the fridge-Keeps everything tidy. It doesn't have ice in the door, but we don't use a whole lot of ice and I'd rather have the extra fridge space. I like it SO much more than my old SxS! As minnt said, the freezer space is minimal, but I just keep breakfast stuff there and everything else goes in the deep freeze. I was very worried that a counter depth wasn't going to be big enough, but you can see everything so much better in the counter-depth and I really like it!

• try_hard
    16 years ago

Luvscritters: Is your refrigerator door hinge located on the left? I'm seriously considering that exact model. I'm glad to hear you're happy with it. I don't suppose you could post some pictures of the interior of the refrigerator? KitchenAid's website doesn't show me the interior of that model and I'm hesitant to order one without seeing the interior configuration. None of the stores in my area have this model on their display floors.

Thank you!

try_hard

• aiallega
    16 years ago

try hard, My refrigerator door is hinged on the left which I did have to special order. The doors cannot be switched- I think due to the location of the water dispenser. I can't seem to figure out how to post pictures, but I have found the Amana interior to be identical. I think Kitchenaid makes Amana. Go to Amana.com and it has a good picture and description of features. By the way the Amana is quite a bit cheaper and had I known this I would have gotten the Amana!

• try_hard
    16 years ago

Thanks, Luvscritters - I will check it out.

try_hard

• chowgirl
    14 years ago

Can anyone share pics of your panel ready french door refrigerator with the panels you installed? It seems a lot of panel ready fridges are edged in trim, but the manufacturer pics mostly show the panel going to the edge of the door and no trim. I want to see what it looks like in someone's home.