Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perel_gw

Settled on Miele W4840 - Now how should I buy it?(and what dryer)

perel
17 years ago

My current washer is a nondescript old (not nearly old enough for the Automatic Washer folks) TL. It's starting to fall apart, and I want to switch to a FL. This is entirely to be gentler on clothes.. frankly, the water/detergent/etc usage of my old washer isn't a problem. If I can get better results with less water, great, but that isn't what's driving me to get a high-end FL.

After much research, I've settled on the Miele W4840. I'm happy with the cycles and options available - and yes, I've read the comparisons here with the older models. The build quality is a major selling point for me too. (Actually, I have an extra 220V line in my laundry room - apparently a PO hooked up a stove in there at some point. If the 4840 was available in a 220V version, I'd take it.. but I don't see the 120V as a big deal.)

I have a local (independent) Miele dealer whom I'm very comfortable buying from and getting support/service through if needed. So are Mieles basically a fixed-price, walk in and pay sticker deal, or is there shopping around I should do?

I'm also wondering if I should replace my old dryer. It's your basic old electric dryer, nothing fancy. Timed dry only, no programs / anti-crease / moisture sensor / etc.. the nice part of this is there's almost nothing to break. (For some reason, there's a moisture sensor mode on the dial, but it behaves just like timed dry, the tech sheet doesn't even mention a moisture sensor, and I don't see any obvious provision for one inside the dryer.) There's often a lot of lint in the filter, though.. if replacing the dryer would be gentler on my clothes, I'm certainly willing to do that.

I don't care about matched sets; I'd much rather have the best combination within reason. If all dryers are the same, and I wouldn't get any real advantage out of a newer one, then I guess I shouldn't spend the money. If there's a specific dryer that's considered tops, what is it? Or should I just do the 'conformist' thing and get the matching T9800 dryer?

Comments (7)

• gordonr
    17 years ago

With regard to pricing around this area there seems to an official list price and a minimum selling price that Miele allows. In essence the miniumum selling price becomes the list price. Other than a showroom floor item, everyone sells at the same price. The differences are all the other things. Delivery, installation and removal prices vary, and deals on extended warranties and financing vary. On our recent Miele dishwasher purchase we got about $175 off by having our preferred dealer match the extended warranty deal of another.

• gordonr
    17 years ago

Forgot to mention...

I'm almost at the same point on the washer, and only want to hear some more first hand experience before making a final decision. We also have 220V installed, and I'll have to run a new dedicated 120V line during the remodel of the laundry room for the W4840.

On the dryer side I don't find enough value in the T9800 to justify it's price, and similar to you we have no need for the items to match. Our 14 year old plain jane drying sensor based Maytag has worked the way Maytag advertising would have you believe all their equipment works - flawless and never a break down. The GE Harmony dryer seems to have some great technology (independently managed airflow and temperature) but I worry it's complexity may lead to reliability issues over time.

• perel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, I do have a hard time seeing enough value in the T9800. Still, it comes down to whether getting a new dryer is worth it in order to get a moisture sensor. The other things I'd like in a new dryer are all 'cosmetic' and it would be silly to spend hundreds just for them.. but it would be nice to have a drum light, window in the door, and an actual countdown timer - especially if it could guess accurately how much time was left in the moisture sensor mode. By far the most important part, though, is what will be gentlest on our clothes while still getting things dry in a reasonable amount of time. Yes, I know, line dry is the BEST option for that.. but realistically, that's just not going to happen regularly in my household.

Actually, if I do get a new dryer, I'll probably keep the old one around too. I have the extra outlet, the laundry room's on an exterior wall so adding the venting will be easy, and it would be kinda nice to have a second dryer.

• perel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Got the washer. It's great. Clothes get cleaner, dry faster, and it's so quiet you can barely tell it's running. (I do wish that the end-of-cycle signal was louder - I'd like to be able to hear THAT upstairs.) With the pedestal, it's a great height, and the pedestal even works well for storage.

Also, the 120V hasn't been a problem at ALL. This machine uses so little water (yet still washes great) that it can still heat up the water QUICK even with the smaller heater.

Even on the most aggressive cycle (Sanitize + Extra Soil + Extended + Sensitive) it's still much gentler on clothes than my old TL on Delicates. The controls are just simplified enough that they don't confuse anyone else in my house, and aren't missing anything significant to me.

I'm still considering a new dryer. Will need either a left-opening or hamper-style door. Also, I want a real moisture sensor (instead of the simple temp-based system my old dryer has). A drum light, reversing tumble, and a real countdown timer (with good estimating logic based on moisture) would be nice too. Unfortunately the T9800 doesn't have the timer.

Right now, I'm using Persil Sensitive, 1/4 to 1/2 cup in the main wash and under 1/4 cup in the prewash. Also 1/2 cup DWV in the fabric softener compartment (for cat odor). I've tried using LCB a couple of times - 1/2 cup on the Sanitize cycle for whites REALLY blasts the stains out. And there's no residual odor like there was when using LCB in my old TL.

• dualref
    17 years ago

1/4 - 1/2 Cup of Persil in a front loading machine sounds like an awful lot. Do you have really hard water? I know a lot of people who use just a tablespoon or two or Persil in their FL washers.

• perel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah, the water is pretty hard here. It does rinse completely, even with a "large" amount of product compared to what many people are using.

Based on a lot of the comments here, I tried the tablespoon approach - it wasn't enough. I do know that my water is very hard here; in my DW I do have to use both compartments to get clean.

FWIW, in the DW I'm using a 2-in-1 Cascade tablet in the main wash compartment and a full prewash compartment of Cascade powder.. way more than is recommended around here but it works way better. Tried it with less and it left crud on the dishes - and even with that much in there I have to use the rinse aid on a high setting to avoid spotting.

• perel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

..and I feel *really* stupid now.

If I'd spent a moment to reflect on it, I surely would have noticed that the scoop in the Persil box obviously *wasn't* a full cup. The 1/4 and 1/2 markings correspond to 22ml/43ml. (For DWV and LCB, I am using an actual 1/2 cup measure. This makes the dosage about one third of what I was using in the TL.)

So, converted to tablespoons:
    Small load - 2 tbsp in main wash
    Full load - 4 tbsp in main wash + 2tbsp in prewash

That does sound much more in line. It does have me using about a third of a cup TOTAL for a large/heavy soil load.. which does seem pretty high, but doesn't seem too out of line given how much I have to "overdose" on DW detergent.