Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

Kindle-Which One?

runninginplace
11 years ago

Santa is bringing me a Kindle this year and I'm excited! However as often happens I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with the choices so I'd appreciate any suggestions or guidance anyone may have about these nifty toys.

Since the Kindle Fire will handle email and web surfing, play movies/tv shows, and ALSO let you download books (oh yeah that :), I figure it will be really nice to have the portability of taking it with me to appointments, as well as being able to entertain myself anywhere anytime. Basically I am hoping to use it as tablet in addition to a reader.

I first was set on the Kindle Fire HD 7". Seemed like the perfect size and the price is good. But then of course I noticed the new 8.9" version, and the reviews are glowing and now what should I get???????

Thanks in advance,
Ann

Comments (8)

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Personally, if you are a big reader and would like to be able to read outside I would get the Kindle Paper White. It is very lightweight and readable even in bright sunlight.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I have a nook and love it, so no advice on a kindle. I just wanted to say that I use my nook more as a tablet than I use it for reading LOL. And I use it more than my Ipad!! They are very portable.

tina

• Oakley
    11 years ago

I'll be able to let you know after Christmas when my son gets his KF HD 7" from me and has played on it. lol.

• runninginplace
    Original Author
    11 years ago

But Oakley, if I wait then *I* won't have anything to play with at Christmas :). Thanks Tina and Terri for your feedback too.

I'm going to stop in at Best Buy and compare the HD models. I think seeing both will help me decide. Right now I"m thinking that the 7-inch would certainly be easier to carry around in a purse but the 8.9-inch would probably be easier to read. As I'm getting older those (#*%& screens and text sure keep getting smaller!

Any other input welcome of course.

• CaroleOH
    11 years ago

You can make the text bigger, so size wise I'd go look at them and see what feels most comfortable.

I have the original B&W Nook which I use when I go to the beach, so I agree with Terriks that any of the color monitor readers are virtually worthless outside. So if you like to read a lot on vacation, try to find one used. They're pretty cheap.

I also have the color Nook which I use everyday and just love. Of course, I get reader envy and think about getting the newer versions. I am intrigued by the iPad Mini because I have a mac/iphone and can keep email, apps etc. all in sync with my iCloud. Plus the iPad has nook and kindle apps that make it incredibly easy to read books in either library. It also has an overdrive media app that allows you to download library books directly to your iPad.

So, with that all said, I think you should look at the iPad mini. Other than they are more expensive, they offer the most versatility - email, apps, internet, pictures, audio books etc.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

You can do email, apps, internet, pictures on the nook or kindle too (certain ones), not sure about audio books. I don't do those though. I have a friend who does those on his iphone. I have an iphone and love it - but for some reason I have not jumped on the ipad band wagon. I mean, I like it and all, but I use my laptop and nook more than my ipad. And I use my iphone all the time! It's probably that I don't need all of them. My ipad was given to me through work.

tina

• CaroleOH
    11 years ago

I agree Tina, I do email etc. on my Nook, but it's just not as easy as on the iPad. I do use my phone the most anyways, and if you're looking at a reader the Kindle or Nook HD are both great.

I just think if I was to start fresh having not purchased my Nook, I'd seriously consider the iPad mini because it has so much more flexibility and functionality. I have found that sometimes I can get a better deal on a book on Amazon vs. Barnes & Noble and I read it on my iPad (I have the original iPad dinosaur so don't use it much as a reader because it's big and heavy) via the kindle app. Still keeps a library for you etc within the app. I can also read anything on the iPad that I've purchased via my Nook since the iPad Nook app syncs with your Nook library.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

If you really want a dedicated ereader I don't think you want the Kindle fire. Glare in bright sunlight ie: outside or in car. i could be wrong but last I checked they didnt have 3g which really comes in handy.

I just got my boys the Kindle Paperwhite wifi + 3G. Anything to get them to read. They read in bed after lights out for 30 minutes. Parental controls so they can't buy books without my permission, or access my archives.

If you don't mind ads on your Kindle it will save you a few bucks.

I have the older Kindle (not the oldest) and I would love an excuse to upgrade. Hubby sat on my first kindle...thus this one!

I got adult dd a kindle for Christmas last year and we share an account and books.

If you do get this Kindle, I would advise an easel type of cover for hands free reading. Here's my cover.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz