Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

My best Christmas Gift. It was 2002...

golddust
14 years ago

My beloved Uncle died on Christmas day in 2002. I was scheduled to host dinner for 30. The call came early from the nursing home, an hour away. I was torn between my host duties and my desire to be with him.

Uncle helped raise me. He lived in a trailer at the bottom of my parents property since before I was born. He was a huge part of our daily lives as he taught me how to keep bees and spin honey. Calm a swarm of bees when the adults were all at work. He was always good for a quarter and he taught me to drive way too early - I was 10 years old. LOL!

I remember sitting on his lap, smearing peanut butter and jelly on bread - making his lunch, helping him get ready for work. My own daughter has the same memories. He'd sing us cowboy songs while we 'made his lunch'. He taught us card games.

I was writing his checks to pay for gas and food by the time I was 6. He'd sign, I'd write them out for the correct amount. Later I learned he barely read. That man had no temper and could outwork anyone I knew.

I was married at 14, a mother at 15 and my parents were busy with their careers. Uncle would drop by my house to check on me and Aimee. Not often but once in awhile he would come by with something for me. Once it was a portable dishwasher. Anther time it was a washer and dryer set. The last thing he gave me was a car.

When Aimee was young, I was proud and never asked for anything. If he asked if I had food, I would always say 'yes', whether or not it was true. I think he must have known that about me because when Aimee was 3, he dropped by my house and asked to take Aimee for a ride. He took her to the grocery store and let her do the grocery shopping. He didn't even question her ability to perform the job and she fulfilled the obligation. She did well, actually. Other than bandaids and peanut butter cereal, she did a great job choosing basic needs. I remember there was at least 6 bags of groceries and Uncle and Aimee were so proud. The thing was, I knew Uncle never once doubted her ability to know just what we needed. He empowered her the same way he empowered me, when I was writing his checks and tallying his totals at a very young age.

I bought my little farm when Aimee was in 6th grade and Uncle fell in love with it. It wasn't unusual to come home from work and notice he had patched the ruts in my long dirt road.

The first time Uncle got lost was going home after having dinner at my house, where I live now. Max was about 5. I knew dementia ran in the male side of his family but even at 78, I was unprepared emotionally.

We decided he should only drive to places he was familiar with - only during the day. For the next five years, it worked. He didn't get lost again and he seemed to do pretty well. Until my mom got too sick to live at home and Uncle couldn't be by himself.

I brought him and his dog here with me, where he helped me pick up kids from school, take them to sports and make their school lunches, while we sang cowboy songs.

As time went on, as his mind faded, his sense of humor and gentle loving nature stayed with him. Once at the Dr., he was to get a blood test. "Which arm?," he asked. "It doesn't matter," the Dr replied. Without missing a beat, Uncle reached down and grabbed my arm and presented it to the Dr. All the while he couldn't remember we had an indoor toilet.

Time passed and mom was growing sicker. We were running a business, raising kids and caring for Uncle. One day, Mom had a heart attack. Maybe chemo related but she was going to need more care. Uncle was starting to drive her crazy.

The hardest job I have ever had was to place Uncle in a nursing home but I felt I had no choice. He was now 94, still strong but urinating on my floors and climbing stairs during the night. I had to admit I could no longer car for him.

That phone call early Christmas pulled me every which way. I was ready for the family but my heart was with Uncle. My DH said, "Go. I will take care of everything." So I did.

I spent Christmas Day 2002 singing cowboy songs (through tears and out of key) to my beloved Uncle as he passed. Dinner happened, I guess. I am forever grateful for my husband taking over without hesitation. I wouldn't trade singing him out of this world for anything. It was my best Christmas gift.

I think of him every Christmas with a very happy heart. He was something.

Comments (14)

• judiegal6
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a great story Goldust. You made me remember my "Nana" it was a wonderful feeling. Merry Christmas!

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

What a treasure each of you were to the other - we should all be so blessed.

• User
    14 years ago

I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing that. :)

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

You and your uncle shared a very special bond and from reading your reminiscence I can tell you loved each other deeply.
    Thank you for sharing.

• awm03
    14 years ago

golddust, what a fantastic story. You've had some rough spots in your life, but sounds like you received enough loving support to make them strengthening ones. Thanks for letting us in on your wonderful uncle.

I have a theory that it isn't the big gestures that make the best impact on the world, but little kindnesses and quiet expressions of affection done over the years that add up. Your uncle is proof of that.

• User
    14 years ago

Goldust, what a beautiful and moving story. I have tears in my eyes. How lucky you were to have him in your life and how lucky he was to have you.

Dee.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

A true christmas story, thanks for sharing golddust....

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing that, it was really touching.

• beache
    14 years ago

Thank you so much Golddust.

• arleneb
    14 years ago

Beautiful story, Golddust . . . print that out, add more memories to it, and get it bound as a sweet part of your family history.

Your loving words really made me "see" your sweet uncle. Thank you for sharing your story.

• nicoletouk
    14 years ago

Golddust, thank you so much for sharing. What a touching story!

How lucky you are to have had an Uncle like yours. Plus you seem to be blessed again with that wonderful DH!

Nicole

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Nice share, Golddust. Thanks! Good to have Christmas as a reminder of such a bright light in your life.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

What a touching, well-told story, Golddust.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

WOW......I'm stuck on the married at 14, mother at 15....WOW....thanks for sharing. :0) I let the little things seem important sometimes....and they just aren't!