Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobonewton

washer stacked with condenser dryer vs combo unit

bobonewton
16 years ago

I'm tucking a laundry into a walkin closet. this is a 1 person apartment, running small loads once or twice a week, sheets underwear and jeans. there is no possibility of venting the dryer outside. i am trying to decide between a single ventless combo unit or a stacked washer and ventless dryer.

i've used an equator ventless combo in the past, so i've got my expectations properly lowered regarding the cycle-time and dryer performance of a ventless combo. if i were getting one, likely the ariston unit.

i'd be all done with that decision except i've just now learned about the condenser dryers from miele and bosch. would i get such better performance (faster dry, fewer wrinkles) in one of these units that it could make up for the extra expense and extra space required over a single combo unit? or would the benefit be more in being able to get a better washer, and i'd see less difference between the dryer performance?

Comments (4)

• jamesk
    16 years ago

The condenser dryers from both Miele and Bosch work as fast and efficiently as a vented dryer. You'd see a vast improvement over the drying results you'd gotten used to with a combo unit.

Not only that, you'll be able to wash AND dry full-sized loads. With the combo units you can only dry a load that is half the size of a normal wash load. Condenser dryers are matched to handle full-sized wash loads.

An added bonus, and one that few people consider -- with a separate dryer, you'll be bale to do laundry twice as fast. With a combo unit, you wash a load, then you dry it. The appliance is tied up for several hours for a single load. With a separate dryer, you can wash a load, transfer it to the dryer, then while the first load is drying, you can wash a second load. A much more efficient way to do laundry.

Hope this helps.

• looser
    16 years ago

We had a stacked washer/condenser dryer in Germany. I can't really remember what brand the dryer was, but it wasn't a Miele or Bosch. In Germany you get condenser dryers from all of the popular brands. They are normally a little less energy efficient than the vented ones, but it is not a big difference. The performance is pretty much the same. You just have to dump out the water after every load. You can actually use that for watering the plants.
    You'd be able to get a better washer and a better dryer if you go for separate units. If it is worth the extra money is a decision that you'll have to make.

• jamesk
    16 years ago

On the newer models of Miele and Bosch condenser dryers it's no longer necessary to empty the condensate reservoir. They now have a tube that drains the condensate into the drain standpipe.

• aquarius2101
    16 years ago

Actually, condenser dryers take longer than vented versions to dry. I wouldn't buy one again, as they are extra hassle compared to a standard vented dryer, and are also as a rule noisier and make the room warmer, plus you have to clean out condenser units every so often to keep the dryer running at peak. However, if I had no vent, I would much rather have a condenser dryer than to use a combined washer dryer.

Jon