Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n83hb

LG Steamwasher and dryer NOISES

n83hb
16 years ago

For those of you with a LG Steamwasher, when you wash clothes in the sanitary mode with steam, does the pump motor make a grinding noise? The noise comes on for 1 - 2 seconds when the water starts to shoot out of the water circulation nozzle, then it stops until water shoots out of the water circulation nozzle again. It sounds like a gear that is slightly striped trying to catch onto another gear, so it it compensates by spinning a little more until it catches the gear.

Another noise that i notice is a clicking noise. i think its coming from the suspension, because it only happens when the tub moves. For example, when the tub is empty and i physically push the tub up and down, i hear the clicking noise. The clicking noise gets faster or slower, depending on how fast the drum spins. And its not because the load is unbalanced.

And for the dryer, do you guys hear a faint vibrating noise in the front? It stops when you push on the front of the dryer casing or door.

Thanks for the help

Comments (6)

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

The only noise I notice (don't know if we are on the same page) is the roller jets making what I suppose could be considered a clicking noise. Only time you will not hear them much is if the load is very full i.e. comfortor etc. or if you are doing just the tub rinse as there are no clothes interacting with the roller jets. No grinding noise, I do hear a "gurgling" sound as the steam is about to come out. No noises from the dryer at all. Do you hear this "clicking" sound during the spin as well?

• n83hb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i hear it during the spin too.

• User
    16 years ago

The only thing close to a clicking sound that I hear is the roller balls wiggling around when I take clothes out. When doing steam or when the cycle starts the water jet from above the door, the pump does kick in with a clackety grinding sound. This is precisely the same sound that my fish tank pumps make when they turn on. (All five of them.) I assumed that the pump in the washer is the same design as a fish tank pump. (That being a cylindrical magnet with an impeller on one end. When the power is applied to the "motor" that the magnet slips into, the magnet wiggles around a moment before starting to spin. A fish tank pump is basically a motor on the outside, but to keep it water-tight, the 'stem' or magnet is dropped into a plastic hole which then goes into the 'motor'. It's not much different than a fan that you would use in the summer.)

As for the dryer, I have noticed no strange sounds. I was expecting to hear rumbling upon start-up that's caused by the soft rollers getting a flat spot while the dryer is not in use. So far, none of that. (Experienced that noise often in the house we used to live in. Rental with landlord-owned appliances.)

How old are your machines?

• n83hb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i just got them, 3 weeks old.

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

I don't know what to say my friend. Being that you are only three weeks into ownership...I would demand that the machine be REPLACED or return them both! I dont subscribe to the belief of having something repaired that is not even thirty days old! Be quick about it!! Where did you purchase them from? Did you do an extended warranty?

• mmk1964
    16 years ago

I know what sounds you mean.

The "grinding" sound comes on when the water is condensing and is followed by the sound of water going down the pipe (note: I have a combo washer/dryer). I consider this a "normal" condensing noise.

The other "clicking" sound sounds to me like a coin is in the machine. I only hear it when I empty out the tub and then whirl the insides once to make sure no socks are left behind. I actually had a repair guy out last week (for a different problem) and asked him about it, as my machine is less than a month old. The repair guy said that the sound was normal. He identified it at the time but I forget what he said it was. I think he said it was the rollers. Anyway, he said taht it was normal.

Maybe you should have a repair person out to confirm that there's nothing wrong?